PDA

View Full Version : Spoke nipple corrosion

stackie
11-22-2008, 09:27 AM
So, I've begun to notice some corrosion on my spoke nipples. I live close to the ocean (less than a mile), so obviously the salt air is taking it's toll. I usually clean the wheels and bike with Pledge, which I thought left a sort of waxy residue. Unfortunately, this one area of the bike seems to suffer excessively.

Anyone have any ideas of how to prevent this?

Jon

Ken Robb
11-22-2008, 09:41 AM
brass nipples if all else fails?

stackie
11-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Embarasssing, but I'm not sure if they are alloy or brass. I was thinking alloy because of the corrosion. But, obviously brass nipples are silver, so they must be coated with something, no? If so, would that coating corrode?

Ken, I know you live close to the water. What is your solution? Do you use brass nips exclusively? Or, are you seeing this problem as well?

Thanks,

Jon

Ken Robb
11-22-2008, 07:48 PM
I had a slight case of corrosion with one set of wheels w/aluminum nipples and never with brass nipples---yet. Do you ride through the salt/sand mixture blowing on 17 Mile drive? That would cause the problem if not wiped off, I think.

alancw3
11-23-2008, 10:53 AM
don't know what wheels you are running but i've heard that mavic ksyriums are notorious for corroded nipples. i am thankful that they are so strong i have never had to retrue them in the three years and 8,000 miles i have used them.

stackie
11-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Reflex on Phil. Reflex on DA. Builder's choice of spokes and nips.

Maybe when they get bad, I will replace with brass.

Jon

Bill Bove
11-23-2008, 03:28 PM
You guys woudn't believe what the salt air down here does to alloy nipples. Kysriums are bad but usually repairable, I've had to drill some out and retap the rim (Mavic makes a tool to do this), I won't even sell Bontrager wheels any more and ALL shopbuilt wheels have DT brass nipples in them.