PDA

View Full Version : A quick read

toaster
11-22-2008, 08:01 AM
A FEW LESSONS ABOUT TEAMWORK FROM OUR FRIENDS, THE GEESE!

Fact 1: As each goose flaps its wings, it creates an “uplift” for the birds that follow. By flying in a “V” formation, the whole flock adds 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew alone.
Lesson: People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier because they are traveling on the thrust of one another.

Fact 2: When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of flying alone. It quickly moves back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front of it.
Lesson: If we have as much sense as a goose we stay in formation with those headed where we want to go. We are willing to accept their help and give our help to others.

Fact 3: When the lead goose tires, it rotates back into the formation and another goose flies to the point position.
Lesson: It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks and sharing leadership. As with geese, people are interdependent on each other’s skills, capabilities and unique arrangements of gifts, talents, and resources.

Fact 4: The geese flying in formation honk to encourage those up front to keep going! Lesson: We need to make sure our honking is encouraging. In groups where there is encouragement, the production is much greater. The power of encouragement, which is to listen to one’s own heart or core values, and to listen to the core values of others, is the quality of honking we seek.

Fact 5: When a goose gets sick, wounded or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow it down to help protect it. They stay with it until it dies or is able to fly again. Then, they launch out with another formation of geese and try to catch up with the flock.
Lesson: If we have as much sense as geese, we will stand by each other in difficult times as well as when we are strong.

Author Unknown

Ti Designs
11-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Theory 1) Any four or more guys together on bikes wearing lycra is a bike race.

Theory 2) Even if they're going to the same place, and the whole group will have to wait for the last rider in, they'll still try to drop people (see also theory #1)

Conclusion) Humans are not as smart as geese, nor do they land as well in water.

Ahneida Ride
11-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Gee .... This thread gives me Goose Bumps !!!! :p ;) :) :rolleyes: :beer: :banana:

PaulE
11-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Fact 6: Instead of flying South for the Winter and North for the Summer, most geese have taken up permanent residence in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast states, overtaking every ball field, park, golf course or other large open field. Places that people aren't allowed to take their dogs even though they're legally obligated to clean up after them, are completely dominated by these nuisances and their leavings.

capybaras
11-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Geese are great! Honk! Honk! :beer:

William
11-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Gee .... This thread gives me Goose Bumps !!!! :p ;) :) :rolleyes: :beer: :banana:

It made feel down. :rolleyes: ;)

William

regularguy412
11-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Geese have their eyes on the sides of their heads. To be able to see directly in front of them, they'd have to turn their heads. That's not altogether the most aerodynamic or comfortable position. So to be able to see each other, they must fly to the side -- or at least in an echelon formation.

I'll agree there is likely some energy savings in their formation, but I'd like to think it's as much about seeing each other as it is about energy conservation.

(flame suit on)

Mike in AR:beer:

johnnymossville
11-25-2008, 03:32 PM
That's cool. I'm gonna send a copy of that to a few people I know. Thanks!

Elefantino
11-25-2008, 05:51 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about how to ride better pacelines.

If I want advice on how to live right, it's not going to be from geese. It's going to be from shrimp. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/25/climate-concerns-treadmil_n_146359.html)

Ti Designs
11-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Fact 6: Instead of flying South for the Winter and North for the Summer, most geese have taken up permanent residence in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast states, overtaking every ball field, park, golf course or other large open field. Places that people aren't allowed to take their dogs even though they're legally obligated to clean up after them, are completely dominated by these nuisances and their leavings.

Instead of flying south to train in warmer weather, cyclists in the northest states gather on weekends for cyclocross events where they take over parking lots and open fields, pee on trees, ring cow bells and leave GU wrappers everywhere.

michael white
11-26-2008, 08:33 AM
Instead of flying south to train in warmer weather, cyclists in the northest states gather on weekends for cyclocross events where they take over parking lots and open fields, pee on trees, ring cow bells and leave GU wrappers everywhere.

Someone remind me: how many minutes per pound at 325 degrees for a fully dressed cyclist?