PDA

View Full Version : MTB bar end question - internal mounts ?

d_douglas
11-21-2008, 04:21 AM
I am thinking of going back to bar ends on my MTB and was wondering if there are any models that mount by inserting a clamp into the end of the bar, rather than clamping around the bar like most models?

I want them to be cheap and very short - I don't mind the idea of the Ergon intergrated grips/bar ends, but a) they're expensive and b) the grips don't work for real MTBing.

I am using a Surly Torsion bar and don't want the width of the clamp of the bar ends to eat up grip space and leverage on the handlebar.

Any ideas?

chuckred
11-21-2008, 05:51 AM
I am thinking of going back to bar ends on my MTB and was wondering if there are any models that mount by inserting a clamp into the end of the bar, rather than clamping around the bar like most models?

I want them to be cheap and very short - I don't mind the idea of the Ergon intergrated grips/bar ends, but a) they're expensive and b) the grips don't work for real MTBing.

I am using a Surly Torsion bar and don't want the width of the clamp of the bar ends to eat up grip space and leverage on the handlebar.

Any ideas?

Not internal clamping, but they are great bar ends. Light, unobstrusive and very comfortable, natural position.

Ray
11-21-2008, 06:56 AM
I had a set that clamped to the inside of the bar, but it still surrounded the outer part too, so it wouldn't solve the problem of the bar-end taking up space at the end of the bar. I also ended up deeply disliking the interior clamp. I ripped the bar end off (in some sort of crazy, high-torque attempt at recovering from a stall on a wet root) and it ripped the end of the bar off, leaving a hell of a jagged edge to the bar, which then proceeded to extract a nice little core sample from my abdomen. Didn't do any serious damage but hurt like hell and left a really interesting circular mark for a few months.

I'd just get a longer bar if there's one available.

-Ray

Volant
11-21-2008, 07:42 AM
I'm not aware of any current ends that use the wedge-style of attachment. You could make some wedge-type extenders for the bar and then clamp on to that, or get a longer bar - probably not what your looking for however. Good luck.

KonaSS
11-21-2008, 08:10 AM
I don't mind the idea of the Ergon intergrated grips/bar ends, but a) they're expensive and b) the grips don't work for real MTBing.

What does this mean? Not going to argue the expense part, but there are several different styles of Ergon grips to choose from, they seem to work for me when I go out and do my fake mountain biking.

d_douglas
11-21-2008, 08:28 AM
I mean that they seem to not be useful for anything steep or technical, as you will need to rotate your hands to accommodate the pitch of a descent. I have only borrowed a buddy's bike for a cruise and they seem great for city riding or flatland XC riding, but I feel like control might be sacraficed in steep conditions.

Makes sense?

Neves
11-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Hey Douglas

I gave up bar ends for years. Then I got a set of the cane creeks on a hybrid. Now all of my mountain bikes get a set. Cane Creek makes a set that will work with locking grips which are really nice.

gdw
11-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Answer made the style bar end you're looking for in the 90's.
http://www.bikepro.com/products/barends/barends_answer.shtml
I still use the short version, not pictured, and have had better luck than Ray.

Ergon's were designed based on feedback from TransAlp racers and have an excellent reputation among endurance riders. Go over to MTBR and do a few searches and you'll see that they are quite popular with the hardcore crowd. Dave Wiens used them to knock off Armstrong at Leadville this year and some of the climbs on that course are pretty steep.

Ray
11-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Answer made the style bar end you're looking for in the 90's.
http://www.bikepro.com/products/barends/barends_answer.shtml
I still use the short version, not pictured, and have had better luck than Ray.

The internal clamps on those look beefier than the set I was using. And I had excellent luck with mine - right up until I didn't. :cool: Rode them happily for years before that though.

-Ray

giordana93
11-21-2008, 04:24 PM
there's a reason why they are not that common anymore and it is exactly what happened to Ray. with everyone clamoring for stupid light parts, the walls of the bars have gotten thinner, and thinnest of all at the ends (the center is beefier to deal with stem clamping forces), and unlike a beefy steel steerer tube like an old quill stem would wedge up into, the wedges on the bar ends are wedging into thin --and soft--aluminum. so be careful about any design that doesn't also have an exterior clamp to limit the bulging.

so what can you do? use a bunch of old fashioned road bar tape and wrap yourself a comfortable perch around an exterior-style clamp, or see if you can't dig up one of the one piece bars with integrated bar ends. I've got one of those crazy old Scott bars with integrated bar end and front "aero" section that I just love b/c I can stretch out and get a road, laid-out position when cruising. they were popular with slalom guys crashing though gates and avoiding getting hung up on trees in the single track