PDA

View Full Version : cross fork

ajs122
11-15-2004, 04:34 PM
I've found a KHS cx100 cross bike that I intend to buy. The only problem I foresee is it comes with an aluminium fork despite having an steel frame. Any recomendations for a good cross fork that won't brake the bank. The dealer wants to sell me a carbon, but something tells me don't go there.TIA

coylifut
11-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Kelly makes a nice steel fork for about $180. I have a friend who likes the Gunnar fork which is made of 531 and in the same price range.

Ozz
11-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Kelly makes a nice steel fork for about $180. I have a friend who likes the Gunnar fork which is made of 531 and in the same price range.

Coy,

nice looking cross bike in the gallery...does Kelly have a website?

Bruce K
11-15-2004, 05:19 PM
There seem to be a lot of Alpha Q carbon forks out there on cross bikes but they are relatively big bucks - almost $500.

Reynolds now has an Ouzo Cross fork. I assume they are priced similar to the road forks.

I also saw an interesting looking Stella Azzura cross fork yesterday - no idea on price and they don't even show it on their website yet.

Winwood makes a carbon fork that is reasonably priced.

There are plenty of people riding Redline Conquest Pros with Redline aluminum fork that seem to do just fine, but they are kind of ugly as they have disc brake tabs on them.

BK

coylifut
11-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Coy,

nice looking cross bike in the gallery...does Kelly have a website?

http://www.kellybike.com

The cheap carbon forks are reported to ride like cheap carbon forks and offer little weight savings. The nice steel ones ride far better than the cheap carbon ones and cost about the same. If $ are an issue, I'd opt for a nice steel one over a cheap carbon one. The Winwood has been completely re designed, but I don't know anyone who's ridden it. The old model is quite flexy.

shinomaster
11-15-2004, 08:04 PM
if I were you I would decide once I got it. Maybe it's a good fork that is lighter than a steel one? It it's crap sell it on ebay.

FierteTi52
11-16-2004, 07:47 PM
AJS,
I own a KHS CX100 and use the bike for lousy weather bombing around on road and off road etc. I like the bike and have had no issues with the stock fork. I don't use the bike for cross racing and really doubt the fork would be a problem if you race. The bike isn't the lightest rig out there for racing, so why upgrade the fork? The compact design triangle could make shouldering the bike tough, although You will enjoy the ride the softail provides.
Good luck,
Jeff