PDA

View Full Version : Campy Record-11 Upgrade

Jeff N.
11-20-2008, 09:55 AM
So I'm thinkin' for a quick, cheap(er) upgrade to Campy-11, one would only have to switch out the brifters, cassette and chain of the 10-speed version to make things work. And with Dura Ace 7900, just switch out the brifters, if the new hideaway housing feature is your thing. Anybody know otherwise? Jeff N.

Dave
11-20-2008, 10:49 AM
The 11 speed rear derailleur is required. The actuation ratio is different, so the 10 speed RD comes up short on travel - I know, I tried it.

Not all front dearailleurs may work either. My 2008 QS FD works, but some have reported problems with earlier models. About all you can do is try it and see how it works.

You will also need the 11 speed chain tool. The new tool flares the right end of the joining pin with it's new, pointed end driving pin. No other tool has the ability to support the left side of the pin while the right side is flared. Eventually someone will make an 11 speed connecting link, but none of the current 5.9mm links is a very good fit, since the width across the inner plates is .1mm narrower than any 10 speed chain.

I managed to get the tool for just under $150 from the UK.

Jeff N.
11-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Welp...in that case, looks like it's gonna be the old Record and DA 10-speeds for me for quite some time. Thanks for enlightening me. Jeff N.

Dave
11-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Welp...in that case, looks like it's gonna be 10-speeds for me for quite some time. Thanks for enlightening me. Jeff N.

With DA7900 the FD is supposed to be a necessity, since the new shifters have no trim clicks. The new FD design apparently eliminates the need for any trim clicks. The new shifters can also only shift 2-cogs larger with one sweep of the brake lever, instead of three.

BdaGhisallo
11-20-2008, 03:02 PM
The 7900 does have a trim click for the small chainring but none for the big ring. I have it and I can say that the big ring trim click is not missed. The small ring trim click does come in handy and I am sure those with short chainstays will appreciate its continued presence.

Also, if you do go with 7900 STI levers, you do need the 7900 fr derr. And you should also get the 7900 brake calipers. You can get a way with the 7800 calipers, but the braking modulation will not be great due to the vast cable pull of the 7900 levers.

SoCalSteve
11-20-2008, 03:08 PM
The 7900 does have a trim click for the small chainring but none for the big ring. I have it and I can say that the big ring trim click is not missed. The small ring trim click does come in handy and I am sure those with short chainstays will appreciate its continued presence.

Also, if you do go with 7900 STI levers, you do need the 7900 fr derr. And you should also get the 7900 brake calipers. You can get a way with the 7800 calipers, but the braking modulation will not be great due to the vast cable pull of the 7900 levers.

That's been my understanding as well (I've done a bit of research).

Good luck!

Steve