PDA

View Full Version : Rider down!

RFTC
11-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Dudes,

Kines was injured yesterday in a freak cyclocross injury. He broke his back but fortunately is not paralyzed. He received a bad stinger in his arms and is in a lot of pain (two different injuries). He will be off the bike for a long time but hopefully will get back on the iron/ti horse. I know he post quite often so just wanted to let the community know.

Scott

William
11-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Dudes,

Kines was injured yesterday in a freak cyclocross injury. He broke his back but fortunately is not paralyzed. He received a bad stinger in his arms and is in a lot of pain (two different injuries). He will be off the bike for a long time but hopefully will get back on the iron/ti horse. I know he post quite often so just wanted to let the community know.

Scott

Wow!! I'm very sorry to hear this. We'll be thinking of him and will send him all the good mojo we can. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

William

mike p
11-19-2008, 06:32 PM
He's in my prayers. Please keep us posted.

Mike

Lifelover
11-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Please let him know we are thinking of him and wish him well.

Let him know I dedicated this song to him. He'll understand.

I will Survive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10C68Gzd5GM)

Kurt
11-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Dudes,

Scott

I had a friend have the same thing happen @ a training camp this past sunday in lompoc ca. fused T4-T6, that is an area you don't want bad things to happen in but it appears he is going to be ok. What is the story on Kines, where is he and what happened to his back? Awful, very painful deal.

maunahaole
11-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Get well Kines

(Cake is da bomb...I caught lots of their shows back at clubs in Sacto before they made it big. They always did a good set...)

Louis
11-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Kines,

Here's to a rapid yet complete recovery.

You just didn't want to ride in the cold weather :D

Louis

shinomaster
11-19-2008, 08:33 PM
That's terrible! How did the accident happen?

jeffg
11-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Get well soon and stay strong Kines!

We are thinking of you and will be looking for updates!

mikki
11-20-2008, 12:20 AM
So so sorry.

Hang in there Kines!! You might get relief from ice and a bit later a back brace.
Good thoughts going out to you.

Blue Jays
11-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Best wishes and heal quickly!

soulspinner
11-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Keep your chin up. Keep tellin yourself its only temporary. Heres to a FAST recovery.

Volant
11-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Bummer. :(
Get well soon.

Karin Kirk
11-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Hang in there Kines! :banana:
Hope you feel better soon and make a speedy recovery.
Keep us posted on your progress.

RFTC
11-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks for all the support. Kines is out of the hospital today and is doing pretty well all things considered. He will be recovering for a while before returning to work and riding.

The cause of the crash was an unseen drainage ditch off a paved trail we were riding. We were riding our cross bikes. It looked like just a grass hill but it turned out to be a deep V shaped ditch. The impact broke his front wheel in two places and sent him flying to the ground injuring his spine and spinal cord. Thanks again for all the kind words.

Scott

Kines
11-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks everyone for the concern. I was really surprised Scott posted here, but he's just that kind of guy, as good a friend as anyone can have. In fact he quite possibly saved my life.

As bad as it feels, I am certainly way better off than many of the other injuries (and mortalities) that have been posted by forumites. In fact, I expect full recovery. Obviously, I can now sit at a keyboard and type - that's a plus! Having been quadraplegic for about a minute certainly gives one perspective.

I fully plan to be riding this spring, in fact to be back in plenty good shape to do L'Alpe D'Huez and Ventoux as we follow LeTour with a Spyns group.

Thanks again, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Smiley
11-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Wishing you a speedy recovery and get back on the bike soon.

Kines
11-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Keep your chin up.....

Quite a simple task, being in a C-Collar! :-)

KN

P.S. I find out in 5 days, 23 hours, and 25 minutes whether or not I'll need surgery.....

KN

hansolo758
11-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Glad to hear you're doing OK. As we all know, it could have been way, way worse. Another reason to give thanks today. All the best should you need surgery.

flickwet
11-27-2008, 10:29 AM
for the grace of god go all of us, I wish good fortune for your quickest recovery, let us know, we all hope for the best.

soulspinner
11-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Quite a simple task, being in a C-Collar! :-)

KN

P.S. I find out in 5 days, 23 hours, and 25 minutes whether or not I'll need surgery.....

KN

Hopes for the best possible outcome for you. Happy Thanksgiving.

link
11-27-2008, 11:13 PM
we're with you all the way ...this WILL get better.

pale scotsman
11-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Man, this is good news. Like the others said keep your chin up and a positive attitude helps for sure! :beer:

Dekonick
11-28-2008, 10:32 AM
:)

:beer:

cleavel
11-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Hello,

Very scary stuff. Glad to read that you're doing OK. Hope the recovery continues to go smoothly.