PDA

View Full Version : Northampton, MA cross race report

Bruce K
11-15-2004, 11:23 AM
The forum was well represented yesterday at the VERGE New England Series cross race in Northampton, MA (though some represented it better than others).

Known parties in attendance were:

e-Richie, whose team rode well and who personally was 9th in 45+ Masters.
(Thanks for the kind words on the way by Richard, I hope I was as polite in return, givenhow steep that run-up was)

PhatMatt, I'm not sure where he finished in the Men's C Race, but it ws way ahead of me.

Myself, who DNF'd in Men's C with a "brainicle" (vs a mechanical). 1/2 way through the race I thought there was a problem with the front end/headset of the bike causing severe vibrations and what felt like steering issues. I stopped, only to discover it was a brake problem and that I could have kept going after all.

And lastly, BBDave, "official photographer" who got some excellent pictures of me and e-Richie which I hope he will post soon.

Despite sub-30 degree start temperatures for the C/Masters race, the day warmed up and turned pretty reasonable. There was some very intense, excellent racing.

Matt, I know Dave was bummed that he missed meeting you. Maybe next time.

BK

PhatMatt
11-15-2004, 11:44 AM
It was a pleasure to meet you Bruce and Richard as well...and Dave, I too am sorry we missed each other but family obligations kept me from sticking around for long. I got my results and hit the road.

Bruce, I was racing as, what they call, the B-Masters (hopefully different from the Master B'ers) which is a great addition to the classes IMO. I was all excited when I turned 35 to race as a Master only to find that those guys kick my butt harder than any other group ever has. The B-Masters seems a little more my speed. Besides having to start in the back row of 105 riders, I had a great day out it the cold of Northampton...my legs are sore but still work and my lungs are mostly intact so I got out of there in good shape.

I'm going to try and get 5-6 more races in before the season shuts down. Hopefully I'll see you out there again soon.

PhatMatt

shinomaster
11-15-2004, 07:44 PM
My friend was in that race too I think..He is also a serotta owner and got sixth in the c race..

Bruce K
11-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Shino;

Who was your freind?

BK

BumbleBeeDave
11-15-2004, 09:46 PM
Hey, man, I’m workin’ on the pictures. Give me a day or two. At least e-richie was easy to pick out of the pack--red EVERYTHING! I bet he even uses red-tinted chamois cream! ;)

BBDave

shinomaster
11-15-2004, 09:49 PM
Shino;

Who was your freind?

BK

John Plump.. My old riding buddy from Arlington

Bruce K
11-16-2004, 06:32 AM
Shino;

Your freind raced Saturday at Farmington, CT. I did not see his name on the results for the Sunday race at Northampton.

BK

shinomaster
11-16-2004, 11:31 AM
oh sorry, you are correct! HE sent me pix of him racing in the snow!

Bruce K
11-16-2004, 12:10 PM
I heard it was pretty tough on Saturday.

Something like 8" of fresh, wet snow.

We were a little luckier on Sunday. There had been much less snow in Northampton and it was beginning to melt when we started.

BK

zank
11-16-2004, 05:55 PM
but the mud felt like it was 8" deep by the end of the B race. Quite a fun weekend of racing, even for this slow-poke!

BumbleBeeDave
11-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Here we go! . . . e-richie lookin’ tough!

BumbleBeeDave
11-16-2004, 09:05 PM
. . . FLYIN’ up that hill! I can hardly believe he’s sixty years old! ;)

BumbleBeeDave
11-16-2004, 09:08 PM
. . . the competition! Does he own ANYTHING that’s not red?!?!

BumbleBeeDave
11-16-2004, 09:10 PM
. . . the man in blue! Go, Bruce K.!!! “ECV” stands for Extremely Cold Velocipedist!

BumbleBeeDave
11-16-2004, 09:12 PM
. . . look so easy!

BumbleBeeDave
11-16-2004, 09:13 PM
. . . maybe not.

BumbleBeeDave
11-16-2004, 09:15 PM
. . . plenty of room for advertising there!

shinomaster
11-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Way to ride Bruce! How do you like the Cannondale bike? I'm thinking of replacing the Fuji Next year...

I'll sure know how to spot E-Ritchey At nationals now!

Bruce K
11-17-2004, 04:56 AM
Dave;

Thanks for the pictures. At least that run-up was a run-up. The other one you didn't see over past the pite was twice as long and even steeper. Everyone had to shoulder their bikes and basically walk/climb. It almost made you put your free-hand down.

Shino;

The Cannondale is OK, not great. It took adding the Alpha Q fork to get the ride to be anything close to civilized.

I have been thinking of replacing the frame but I am not yet sure with what.

Redlines are certainly price freindly and there are a ton of them out there. Out here Ridleys seem to be pretty popular too. Now if one of e-Richie's bikes were to ever come up on the used market I'd have to look pretty carefully...

Either way, cross is definitely a blast.

BK

RABikes2
11-17-2004, 06:50 AM
GREAT pictures! You look fabulous and like you're having a blast Bruce! :banana: E-Ritchey, don't know you, but you look great, too!

Now Bruce, running and carrying a bike :confused: ...hmmm, I think I'll stay ON the bike, thank you.

Thanks Dave for the opportunity to take a look at the guys. :)

RA

Climb01742
11-17-2004, 08:57 AM
and you guys do this why again????? :p

zank
11-17-2004, 09:04 AM
Climb, that one is easy. It's the best time you will have on a bike, period! Cross, cross, and more cross!

e-RICHIE
11-17-2004, 09:12 AM
zank-issimo is right.
cross rules and nothing else matters!
i went to the cross worlds in 74 and was hooked,
but never raced until 02. a miserable day at a cross
race is better than the best day on the road. your
attitude may differ - until you actually join us!
e-RICHIE

ps

:cool: :cool: :cool:
:) :) :)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

arrange disorder

Climb01742
11-17-2004, 09:14 AM
zank, sorry, but the best time i have on a bike is on a summer evening, about 80, fresh asphalt under wheel and i'm zipping down an empty road. ;)

zank
11-17-2004, 09:39 AM
e-Richie, I was hoping this was the year for me to go the Motherland to watch Worlds. I'm about 50% right now. I really want to watch JP kick some butt.

Nice seeing you this past weekend! It was great watching your team fly the colors. And thanks for the needle file tip...worked like a charm!

RABikes2
11-17-2004, 01:44 PM
zank, sorry, but the best time i have on a bike is on a summer evening, about 80, fresh asphalt under wheel and i'm zipping down an empty road. ;)
I agree with Climb...can I come on this zippy ride if I promise not to wear black socks? :p

Climb01742
11-17-2004, 01:51 PM
I agree with Climb...can I come on this zippy ride if I promise not to wear black socks? :p

sure! if you promise not to dust me and shatter my fragile male ego. ;)

RABikes2
11-17-2004, 07:57 PM
sure! if you promise not to dust me and shatter my fragile male ego. ;)
Oh my! I doubt that would happen! If you promise to let me draft off you and not leave me trailing behind...I'll be there!