PDA

View Full Version : Spend our $$s Triple vs Track T3?

Too Tall
11-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Serottan's
I THOUGHT I had made up my mind to seal an order for a new custom track tandem. DONE! or so I thought and today we sold our old road tandem and out of the blue a little voice said "build it and they will come". What if we built a stout triple that would fit me and two more riders of Queen's size? OMG would that be nuts? Too much fun? As much fun as the track bike? Will it fit and enhance our lifestyle? Get both? What do you think?

Many of you know our game but any comments are welcome. Airing this in public might help me decide.

Musings on what to do:
The track bike would be for me and Queen to race and for me to pursue Paralympic racing goals. We'd get limited use out of the track bike however I think Queen would have alot of fun racing and training on the track (and she's into the idea already) so the bike will get used. Actual racing events for a track tandem are very limited. I think the real fun with a track tandem is infact training and making a weekend of travel to a track for workouts etc. (lifestyle) The thrill I get from diving off a bank at the track is amazing.

A triple? In my mind I see it used for two things. Going hard and fast with Queen and other like minded folks who want to spend a day zooming over the hills at stupid speeds and no pacelines...mostly a solitary ride of speed and beauty. Also I see three knuckleheads playing "chase this" with my race team or other similar groups. The other use is to ride easy sleazy with a couple other folks who are up for a slightly nutty bike experience. I do wonder if there are many people who would want to ride a triple with me and Queen or myself and two racer types?

Thoughts?

Tony Edwards
11-15-2004, 11:20 AM
I don't know anything about your finances, but obviously this would be an enormously costly proposition, so it seems to me it would only make sense if you have a trustworthy third person who's indicated a sincere and clear interest in it.

I remember reading an article years ago in Bicycling (back in the days when it was bad but not AS bad) about three guys riding a triple, and it sounded very tough to get used to. Obviously you probably wouldn't have a chance to test-ride, and I don't think any builder has large amounts of experience in building triples, so to some degree you would be a test subject for an unproven concept. I don't know that I'd want to pay the several thousand dollars this would cost unless I was damned sure I'd actually use it. I imagine it'd be very tough to resell and transport as well (though I guess S&S couplers would make it a lot easier than it would otherwise be).

OldDog
11-15-2004, 11:39 AM
TT - Santana offers coupled triples, the center section can be removed to make a tandem, time willing. Would/can Bill also make a bike that with some tinkering can be used road and track? A double/triple/roadie/trackie for TT/ Queenie/sometimes third mate?