PDA

View Full Version : OT: Gift ideas?

Volant
11-18-2008, 07:59 AM
What are you getting your significant other for the holidays?

csm
11-18-2008, 08:27 AM
the hints have already started. there's some Patagonia wool sweater thing that I've heard mentioned a few times already. and she wants a larger crackpot? I thought the crackpot she is married to is big enough. unless she means CROCKPOT.
I usually wait until December to start worrying about these things!

Ti Designs
11-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Four years ago I gave my wife a divorce, a car, my life savings, the dog, and two years salary before taxes. They say it's better to give than receive, I don't agree...

Volant
11-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Four years ago I gave my wife a divorce, a car, my life savings, the dog, and two years salary before taxes. They say it's better to give than receive, I don't agree...

Ouch.

skijoring
11-18-2008, 11:45 AM
lame post from Ti.

Ozz
11-18-2008, 11:46 AM
A new washer and dryer....anyone know which is the best? She likes the Bosch and the LG

SadieKate
11-18-2008, 11:46 AM
A bank account dedicated to his whims. Over the years, it's bought a lot of bicycle stuff like a Seven and most recently a Co-Motion. May not be terribly romantic but much better than guessing or buying the small stuff that he could have bought himself.

csm
11-18-2008, 12:11 PM
washer and dryer.... check out the Fisher Pakels....

Ozz
11-18-2008, 12:27 PM
washer and dryer.... check out the Fisher Pakels....
cool....but I think she want the fancy front loader styles....I will show her these and see what she thinks.

BTW - We had a pretty cool discussion last summer when Keno what buying a new chef knife. I just received a Sur la Table catalog last week and it looks like Bob Kramer has collaborated with Shun to come out with a line of knives....cool looking stuff with no wait period like an original Bob's Kramer.

Shun Bob Kramer (http://www.surlatable.com/category/id/103112.do)

csm
11-18-2008, 12:47 PM
when we moved the last time we bought a Fisher Paykel set. It seems to cost less to operate. and the washer makes a really neat jet-engine noise when it gets going in the spin cycle.

jhcakilmer
11-18-2008, 01:00 PM
A new washer and dryer....anyone know which is the best? She likes the Bosch and the LG

Definitely do front loading.....we have the Bosch, 3 years no issues, and my wife really abuses it.

Also, just being another concerned spouse, are you sure the washer and dryer will cut it, as a gift? Just figured I'd ask, some spouses are more practical that others.

Ozz
11-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Definitely do front loading.....we have the Bosch, 3 years no issues, and my wife really abuses it.

Also, just being another concerned spouse, are you sure the washer and dryer will cut it, as a give? Just figured I'd ask, some spouses are more practical that others.
Oh yeah....my spouse is very practical.....a new washer / dryer is a requirement before any further bike purchases....she'll get some clothes and such as well....you know, so she has something to wash.;)

Ti Designs
11-18-2008, 02:07 PM
lame post from Ti.

Sory, but I spent two years digging out from under that, not much room in the budget for gifts. Since then I've decided to print up $700,000,000,000 so it's gifts for everyone!

Here's my short list (for people on the forum)

BBDave: I'm getting Dave a jersey with spots on it - the stripes thing is getting old. Maybe some matching shoe covers...

William: A frozen water bottle, left in his mailbox - just like years past. I'm all out of Serotta bottles, I've got an Army Cycling bottle with just a little black stuff growing in it.

King: a bone shaped titanium dog tag.

Sandy: The box from a bone shaped titanium dog tag.

Jack: A late 80's Huffy with a full Wald grouppo - he doesn't have one of those!!!

Viper: A working light saber - been searching ebay for weeks...

DK: a bigger car. You're sticking out of the top of that motorized skateboard of yours.

Hardlyrob: PGH (pumpkin growth hormone) and maybe a safe place in Arlington to store that piano while you're doing all that work on the house.

Fixed: A vintage orange Eddy Merckx track bike. You need a reason to ride like you did 10 years ago.

Swoop: Coal.

stackie
11-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Ozz,

If you really can get away with the Washer Dryer for Christmas, check out Miele. We have theirs and they are fab. I've not had Bosch, but our Miele dishwasher kicks the Bosch's behind.

Jon

Ken Robb
11-18-2008, 03:09 PM

read the Consumers' Report on them. Available at your local library. I haven't checked these lately but lots of the "gucci" Euro stuff has dreadful reliability or really doesn't work that well to begin with.

rounder
11-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Sory, but I spent two years digging out from under that, not much room in the budget for gifts. Since then I've decided to print up $700,000,000,000 so it's gifts for everyone!

Here's my short list (for people on the forum)

BBDave: I'm getting Dave a jersey with spots on it - the stripes thing is getting old. Maybe some matching shoe covers...

William: A frozen water bottle, left in his mailbox - just like years past. I'm all out of Serotta bottles, I've got an Army Cycling bottle with just a little black stuff growing in it.

King: a bone shaped titanium dog tag.

Sandy: The box from a bone shaped titanium dog tag.

Jack: A late 80's Huffy with a full Wald grouppo - he doesn't have one of those!!!

Viper: A working light saber - been searching ebay for weeks...

DK: a bigger car. You're sticking out of the top of that motorized skateboard of yours.

Hardlyrob: PGH (pumpkin growth hormone) and maybe a safe place in Arlington to store that piano while you're doing all that work on the house.

Fixed: A vintage orange Eddy Merckx track bike. You need a reason to ride like you did 10 years ago.

Swoop: Coal.

Ti,
You should consider using some of the money (you printed) that is leftover to fund the rest of the bailout. Many taxpayers would be really grateful...what with the holiday season coming and all.

capybaras
11-18-2008, 05:15 PM
... Here's my short list (for people on the forum) ...

good save :banana:

mikki
11-18-2008, 06:24 PM
A big smile.