PDA

View Full Version : Biking in Denia, Spain

jennywhite
11-15-2004, 08:17 AM
My husband and I are heading to Denia, Spain for about 5 months. We have been planning on taking our bikes but have heard recently that it would be better to buy a bike there. We don't know what to do! Should we bother with taking our own bikes or would it be possible to buy a bike in Denia? Also, how's the biking in Denia???
Thanks!

Andreu
11-15-2004, 08:43 AM
The club I was in when I lived near London went to Denia every year so biking is good (and the guys in the club never complained!).

....I never went because of other commitments so I donīt have exact details of Denia but Spain, in general, is cycling heaven....main roads can be very busy near big towns and cities but it doesn't take too long to find great roads with long climbs, fantastic scenery, great weather, very few cars and great cafes. Drivers are generally cycle friendly but the last couple of years I have seen a bit more antatognism against cyclists but nothing like the abuse you can get in the UK.

Denia is a bit of a northern European ghetto...lots of Germans and British, and English (I believe) is widely spoken. I would personally avoid these "areas" and if you speak Spanish join a local club - you will get the best info on where to buy gear and the best routes for cycling (try a google search). The weather there is great virtually year round with a bit of a "wet" season at the beginning of autumn when it seems to rain there an awful lot for about week -then sun shines for the rest of the year!

There are plenty of bike shops in Spain but not the selection you would expect in the US or richer parts of Europe. Expect to see US manufacturers like Trek and Giant and Spanish makes Orbea. Some Italian bikes can also be found (usual suspects Pinarello, Colnago and Bianchi). Many local shops have well informed or even ex pros running them (my LBS has an ex-pro Tdf rider and another shop was run by the dad of a current pro riding for an Italian team).

Taking a bike or not?....for 5 months I would personally take my bike. Insure it and buy a good bike bag.

By the way - I live in the North East of Spain so have some local experience.
Suerte,
A :beer:

sspielman
11-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Congratulations on your extended stay in cycling heaven. I had the good fortune of having a cycling holiday in that region for a couple of weeks in September of 2001. The region has it all...flatland...great weather....mountains.....great people. Let us know how the paella is.....