PDA

View Full Version : OT: eBay rant

sc53
11-17-2008, 12:56 PM
I have been a buyer and seller on eBay since 1999. I did not have any problems in either mode until last year when a couple of international buyers simply did not pay or communicate after winning my auctions. BTW I periodically sell off electronic gadgets, bike stuff, and the like on eBay, nothing really high dollar or high volume. I pretty much stopped accepting international bids after these occurrences because it was too much of a hassle relisting the auction, pix, etc for the nonpaying deadbeats.

Now this year for the THIRD time in as many months I have people whining about the item they purchased because it's not exactly what they wanted after all. There was nothing defective or deceptive about my items--the buyer just changed his mind once I packed, shipped, etc, and decided a longer steerer or more rake would actually suit him better. This happened with both buyers of MTB forks I was selling despite my link to the mfr's website for specs on the forks and my own lay measurements using a tape measure of the exposed steerer. Then a woman who bought a $400 printer from me for $38 decided the "print quality" was not what she wanted and demanded a refund. Again, nothing defective with the printer, she just decided she wanted better quality!

Am I crazy to think these buyers are crazy? If I buy something, used, sight unseen, on the internet, with NO refund or return policy whatsoever, and it turns out I'd rather have something else, I do not expect the seller to refund my money and take the item back! I AM NOT A STORE and that's why the buyer got the item for 10% of its retail value! When that has happened to me, ie, I've been disappointed in the product after all but not because it wasn't accurately described or it was broken or something, I just resell it myself on eBay or yard sale or whatever. Unless there's been fraud or deceit in the description or pictures, I realize and understand that I may not be thrilled with the product once I actually have it in my hands after all, and I might just have to resell or regift it or somehow move on. So what is with these buyers lately? Has eBay somehow transformed into a store and those selling on the site expected to behave like bricks and mortar merchants with money back guarantees? I am truly puzzled as this has only happened in the last couple of months after years of what I considered reasonable expectations--that sellers not post misleading or inaccurate descriptions or pictures or represent stuff as new when it's not etc., and buyers understand that THERE IS A RISK in buying stuff sight unseen if it's not exactly perfect for your intended application but nevertheless is not defective or broken! I may have cleaned out my bike and electronics "closets" for the last time, I'm so dismayed at these new and what I consider grossly inflated expectations for used goods sold by private individuals who have no return or refund policy.

gemship
11-17-2008, 01:05 PM
somebody was telling me yesterday that ebay is leaning toward becoming more of a store in the way of buy it now fixed pricing and a end to the auctions. That just doesn't seem right.

This is a little off topic but I only buy from ebay and for some reason with in the past month or so the listing page for a item has changed, at least for me. It doesn't have any seller information, like where or who the seller is or the option to look at and review seller feedback. The weirdest thing as if Ebay decided I don't need that info anymore. I thought it might be because I have only five feedbacks? I know my friend who buys and sells has access to all this info. I used to as well so I don't know what it is but I do know until it's straightened out I won't be buying on ebay.

SoCalSteve
11-17-2008, 01:18 PM
somebody was telling me yesterday that ebay is leaning toward becoming more of a store in the way of buy it now fixed pricing and a end to the auctions. That just doesn't seem right.

This is a little off topic but I only buy from ebay and for some reason with in the past month or so the listing page for a item has changed, at least for me. It doesn't have any seller information, like where or who the seller is or the option to look at and review seller feedback. The weirdest thing as if Ebay decided I don't need that info anymore. I thought it might be because I have only five feedbacks? I know my friend who buys and sells has access to all this info. I used to as well so I don't know what it is but I do know until it's straightened out I won't be buying on ebay.

Look harder, ebay is trying new formats...if you look in the upper right hand corner, you will see that there is a place to change back to the old format...

Its there, even on the new format, just click around, you will find it.

Good luck,

Steve

dekindy
11-17-2008, 01:37 PM
There is no rational response to irrational behavior. Let them give you negative feedback and then you can respond. Nothing else you can do is there?

Ahneida Ride
11-17-2008, 01:41 PM
There is a reason they call it Flea-Bay ...

alancw3
11-17-2008, 02:52 PM
evolution. imho ebay has peaked. that is not to say that i will not continue to buy and sell on ebay, just don't see ebay returning to the days of 2004-2006. another observation is that ebay seems to be evolving into another amazon slowly but surely. from an investment standpoint i would no longer be interested in ebay.

gearguywb
11-17-2008, 03:11 PM
welcome to dealing with the public.....

The only negative feedback that I received on Ebay (several years ago) was from a buyer that purchased a mountain bike frame from me, never paid for it(so obviously I never shipped it), and then left feedback that the item was not as described!

daker13
11-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Ebay is now way, way biased towards buyers. Sellers can't leave negative feedback. Almost any claim a buyer files with paypal results in them getting their money back. I think ebay thought they could attract more people by making it safer for buyers... in my opinion, they erred too far in that direction and most sellers are infuriated with ebay. The good days for sellers are definitely over -- you just have to take a 'customer is always right' attitude.

On the bright side, it means a buyer can no longer get burned on ebay. I've filed a couple claims with paypal for damaged goods, and even I was surprised how easily I got my money back. There is definitely an incentive to abuse it. I bought a vinyl lp recently, advertised as an 'original,' only to discover it was an inferior-sounding record club issue. The seller's ad was misleading, even an outright lie (record club pressings aren't considered 'originals'), but the problem was he had clearly photographed the label and put it in the ad. I admit I considered contacting the seller to get my money back (I know if I'd filed a claim, paypal would have sided with me), but then I concluded it was my bad and I should just be more careful next time.

What you're seeing is the effect of this mindset - buyers know they can easily get their money back, so that's what they're doing. The days of caveat emptor are over.

cmg
11-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Drag your feet on responding. then remind them that the sale didn't include a money back/return clause. Tell them to resale it.

coloclimber
11-17-2008, 04:13 PM
I hear you. Its frustrating.

I had some wheels for sale that said "no international shipping" in the description and didnt allow international shipping as an option for checkout.

A buyer in Spain still purchased the wheels with Buy it Now and wont return my emails for shipment in the US or payment.

How can ebay allow an international buyer when the auction wasnt set up for that?

Don49
11-18-2008, 10:17 AM
I hear you. Its frustrating.

I had some wheels for sale that said "no international shipping" in the description and didnt allow international shipping as an option for checkout.

A buyer in Spain still purchased the wheels with Buy it Now and wont return my emails for shipment in the US or payment.

How can ebay allow an international buyer when the auction wasnt set up for that?

You need to set your Buyer Requirements to disallow bidders who "Are registered in countries to which I don't ship". Look under My Account->Site Preferences->Buyer Requirements->Block Buyers Who:

coloclimber
11-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Thank you. You are certainly more tech savvy than me. You helped me avoid another future debacle like this one.

Don49
11-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Thank you. You are certainly more tech savvy than me. You helped me avoid another future debacle like this one.

You're welcome. You need to give your buyer seven days to pay you. On the eighth day you can start the "unpaid item process" in the so called eBay "Resolution Center". That link is at the bottom of most eBay pages. Then eBay gives the buyer another ten days to respond before you can safely relist your item for sale. Hopefully your buyer will pay up, sometimes it takes awhile.