PDA

View Full Version : How cold is too cold?

Floyd Dakil
11-17-2008, 10:34 AM
When my cycling group started out yesterday morning in Austin, it was 38 degrees. I felt really comfortable in shoe covers, warm gloves, tights, an undershirt, long-sleeve jersey, vest, and ear warmers. Those garments would probably keep me warm to about 32 degrees. Much below that, however, and I would have trouble keeping my fingers warm with gloves light enough to allow me to shift or keeping my toes from going numb with LBS shoe covers. How about you? Anyone like to ride in freezing weather? If so, how do you dress for it?

Viper
11-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Austin, TX? If so, people from Austin are never allowed to complain about riding temps. :beer:

victoryfactory
11-17-2008, 11:02 AM
It depends on a few factors.
If it's sunny with no wind, I'm good to about 35 degrees
If it's nasty, I get uncomfortable at 45.
(I wear tights and long sleeves up to 70 degrees)

VF

flickwet
11-17-2008, 11:14 AM
-10 degrees in January is perfectly do able if done right. Single speed (dingle) Surly 1x1 on the 32x19, Fat mutanoratur tires,Planet Bike full fenders, platform pedals, slow and comfy minimizes windchill, no suspension or gears to mess up and complicate things. Lightweight thinsulate and goretex climbing boots with cozy smartwool socks warm feet are a MUST hence the platform pedals, Poly/wool layers, tights, balakava type thingy, Snowboard helmet w/ear thingies, layers of gloves Wind proof, Wind proof snowboard shell, this stuff works for me. Minimizing wind chill, and keeping extremities warm is mandatory If its really cold you can't over dress, remove an easy to access layer if you get too hot. I'll ride towpath or roads on this setup depends on conditions, It can be effin epic and allows me to relish what would be the worst time of the year for me, Or I'll get on the trainer in the basement, crank up the headphones and hammer away the gray of the day

hammerdocnomo
11-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Nah, around here, northern Ohio, cold starts below 32 deg.F.
Clear, dry roads minimal wind I'll be out @ 20 deg.F.
An hour or so is all I need, longer and the small body parts start to complain.
I just can't do a lot of indoor training makes my mind numb.
Just my 2 cents.

RPS
11-17-2008, 11:26 AM
I enjoy riding at 60F or higher -- and sunny at that temperature. This year I'm doing more afternoon rides or using the trainer to avoid going out in the 40s or low 50s. It's not that I can't stay warm, I just don't like having to put on so much stuff. Takes some of the fun out of it.

cdimattio
11-17-2008, 11:46 AM
When my cycling group started out yesterday morning in Austin, it was 38 degrees. I felt really comfortable in shoe covers, warm gloves, tights, an undershirt, long-sleeve jersey, vest, and ear warmers. Those garments would probably keep me warm to about 32 degrees.

Below 32 degrees you can do fine with various models of lobster claw gloves. As the termperature drops you add thin polypro glove liners and chemical warmers.

As the temperature drops you move your feet from the thin shoe covers to the insulated models and add chemical toe warmers...Always opting for wool socks.

I think road riding is manageable down in the 18-20 degree range.

For the one hour commute to work, early morning temperatures of 5 degrees have proven to be my limit. I switch over to the fixed gear to better manage bulky gloves, and opt for larger shoes with two pairs of socks (wool and neoprene).

David Kirk
11-17-2008, 11:47 AM
I know that at -10*F my Shimano freehub starts freewheeling in both directions........ so stay above -10F and you should be fine :)

Dave

CPP
11-17-2008, 11:48 AM
I think that you are reaching the limit of too cold when after riding, say for 15 min, you are cross eyed because of the cold air hitting your forehead. This prevents you from seeing very clearly and affects your balance a bit.

fiamme red
11-17-2008, 11:48 AM
I know that at -10*F my Shimano freehub starts freewheeling in both directions........ so stay above -10F and you should be fine :)Another reason to ride a fixed-gear! :banana:

markie
11-17-2008, 11:52 AM
I've got a 9 mile commute to work. I have done it down to -20F. I ride fixed and with studded tires most of last Winter.

I really like the Lake boots. My feet and toes never get cold with them on.

I have problems keeping my hands warm sometimes. I use smartwool gloves inside snowboard mitts. I carry chemical warmers in case of emergency, but have never used them.

I like to wear lots of layers, icebreaker merino is fantastic with a softshell over the top.

markie
11-17-2008, 11:54 AM
I know that at -10*F my Shimano freehub starts freewheeling in both directions........ so stay above -10F and you should be fine :)

Dave

My grandad taught me to pee on the hub as a temporary solution.

The WI hubs are sealed and do not freeze up.

Johny
11-17-2008, 12:15 PM
If you're cold, it's either you don't dress properly or you don't ride hard enough! :)

P.S. You know crazy people bike cross Alaska in winter....

jhcakilmer
11-17-2008, 12:17 PM
It's not just temp, but other conditions that matter to me. Living near the great lakes, the biggest problem I have is the wind. I don't mind the cold, but when it's gusty and cold...no thank you.

Also, it's much harder to go out on the cold days, if your riding solo.

Johny
11-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Balaclava, wool and windstopper!!! Take care of your core temperature (body and head), you should be fine at least at 10F. Below that, it's a mind game.

fiamme red
11-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Balaclava, wool and windstopper!!! Take care of your core temperature (body and head), you should be fine at least at 10F.Not in my experience. I may be wearing ever so many layers and a thick wool cap, but my fingers and toes can still freeze and cut my ride short.

RPS
11-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Also, it's much harder to go out on the cold days, if your riding solo.Exactly. And if you have a flexible schedule why not wait? This morning it was 38F; but now it’s in the mid 60s and sunny on way to low 70s.
Today is a no-brainer.

Ti Designs
11-17-2008, 01:46 PM
There are two questions here. 1) what can YOU ride in, and 2) at what point do you do more harm than good. Plenty of people have answered the first part, I'll try to answer the second.

Let's say you're riding, it's 30 degrees out and you're at 40% of your breathing capacity. The air outside is at 30 degrees, the ain in your lungs should be almost 100 degrees (body temp) so the resulting air in your lungs after you take a breath should be around 60ish degrees - no problem! Now let's say the air is at 15 degrees and you're at 80% of your breathing capacity. The first breath drops the air temp in your lungs down under 60 degrees, the second drops it down to 40 degree. If you keep going at that rate the air inside your lungs will drop below freezing - that's a problem.

witcombusa
11-17-2008, 02:09 PM
40 degrees F is my cut off for an enjoyable road ride two or more hours in length. Can you ride when it's colder? Sure, no problem. I just won't ENJOY it.

Ray
11-17-2008, 02:25 PM
All about your own tolerance and desire. When I was working full time, I'd get the winter riding jones so bad that I'd go out in the teens, as long as it was sort of dry. Colder than that for mountain biking. But I remember doing a 30-35 mile ride at about 15F. I was dressed for it and I don't remember being miserable. I used to ride without a thought anytime it was above freezing (or was likely to get there during the ride). But now that I'm self-employed and can ride whenever, I've turned into a fair weather rider and I rarely ride if its below about 40. And I'm riding less and less in the winter every year, so who knows, maybe 50 will be my limit this year? But if you're really into to it and you dress right, you can go pretty cold.

-Ray

markie
11-17-2008, 02:30 PM
The first breath drops the air temp in your lungs down under 60 degrees, the second drops it down to 40 degree. If you keep going at that rate the air inside your lungs will drop below freezing - that's a problem.

That kind of oversimplification can be used to show bumble-bees cannot fly and that steam ships will never be able to hold enough coal to cross the Atlantic. :)

Seramount
11-17-2008, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=RPS]Exactly. And if you have a flexible schedule why not wait? This morning it was 38F; but now it’s in the mid 60s and sunny on way to low 70s.
QUOTE]

yep, the best solution for me was to sleep in, have a leisurely (and huge) breakfast, and then finally hop on the bike in the early afternoon.

At 2 pm it was 69F, sunny, 0 mph wind. I wore shorts, ss jersey, and arm warmers (and didn't even need them after the first 5 miles). no reason to ride in the cold when PERFECT weather is only a couple of hours later...

Floyd Dakil
11-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Exactly. And if you have a flexible schedule why not wait? This morning it was 38F; but now it’s in the mid 60s and sunny on way to low 70s.
Today is a no-brainer.

On weekend mornings, the traffic is light. By midday, it's heavy. So would you rather ride in 38 degrees in light traffic or mid-60s in heavy traffic?

zap
11-17-2008, 02:53 PM
15-20F with wind was my limit before I got tights, booties and skull cap. But these days I'm more likely to go out for a run.

Long ago when I trained and raced xc and biathlon in Canada, I had the most fun when the temps were -20 to -30C. The sky was usually deep blue and next to no wind. The snow was perfect too.

Dekonick
11-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Just got back from 32 miles. 40 degrees, and last 4 miles it was drizzling. Despite 4 layers, fleece lined bib knickers, ski gloves (hands were warm), baclava, and shoe booties, my toes froze, and I felt chilly - especially the last 4 miles. 1500 feet vertical climbing, steepest hill 13% per the garmin 705.

Almost too cold (humidity in MD sucks for this crap)

Ti Designs
11-17-2008, 03:10 PM
That kind of oversimplification can be used to show bumble-bees cannot fly

I know of at least one who can't...

RPS
11-17-2008, 03:57 PM
On weekend mornings, the traffic is light. By midday, it's heavy. So would you rather ride in 38 degrees in light traffic or mid-60s in heavy traffic?Just got back from an easy 40 miles -- went out with temperature in back yard at 68, and it was 70F when I got back. Sunny, no clouds, dry for Houston, and little or no wind (this highly unusual for mid-day), so I have to say it was about as perfect as I can possibly want. Wouldn't change a thing.

The roads I ride are not that crowded, and the ones that are have a wide shoulder, so given the choices above I'd take a few more cars and mid-60s any day. Haven't lived north of Houston my entire life, I don't enjoy the cold – will deal with it when necessary, but not by choice. ;)

BTW: Many think winter is the best time to ride in Houston. Go figure. :rolleyes:

mandasol
11-17-2008, 04:07 PM
That kind of oversimplification can be used to show bumble-bees cannot fly :)

I once had an argument with my wife about ducks being able to fly. She said ducks couldn't fly and nothing I said could change her mind. I was dumbfounded. She grew up in a big city - the only ducks she ever saw was as a main dish in a chinese restaurant. We live in the country now and when I pointed out flying ducks she tells me those aren't ducks, ducks are raised on farms.

Sorry, to get off topic, but even ducks don't like the cold.

Johny
11-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Not in my experience. I may be wearing ever so many layers and a thick wool cap, but my fingers and toes can still freeze and cut my ride short.

I wear one or two layers of Giordana balaclava, one layer of Smartwool balaclava, and one thick wool cap when it's really cold and windy here. Obviously, fingers and toes are very vulnerable to the low temperature. However, more layers of gloves and socks can do more harm than good as they may block circulation if not done properly. I wear skiing gloves and one layer of smartwool socks, and Lake winter shoes.

I prefer not to stay outside for more than 1.5 hours when wind chills hit minus20F....

Joellogicman
11-17-2008, 05:28 PM
However, more layers of gloves and socks can do more harm than good as they may block circulation if not done properly. I wear skiing gloves and one layer of smartwool socks, and Lake winter shoes...

I use Ortovox boiled wool mittens when it gets below freezing. They are designed for skiing and are flexible enough for single speed or Rohloff shifting anyway.

When it gets really cold I wear a pair of Patagonia synchilla glove liners underneath.

Cold temps I can tolerate fairly well. the kind of precip we get with cold here in Chicago usually gets me off the bike and walking.

This will be my fifth winter without a car. Can't say I look forward to it. But I am used to it.

Karin Kirk
11-17-2008, 06:38 PM
I once had an argument with my wife about ducks being able to fly. She said ducks couldn't fly and nothing I said could change her mind. I was dumbfounded. She grew up in a big city - the only ducks she ever saw was as a main dish in a chinese restaurant. We live in the country now and when I pointed out flying ducks she tells me those aren't ducks, ducks are raised on farms.

Sorry, to get off topic, but even ducks don't like the cold.
http://fatfinch.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/farside1.jpg

Sorry, even farther off topic, but I couldn't resist!

CNY rider
11-17-2008, 06:53 PM
First....listen to Johny. I thought I was bad ass with my winter commuting but he takes it to a whole 'nother level of insanity.

Second....Lake winter boots. Accept no substitute!

Third....Trade your bike helmet for a ski helmet in the winter. And if you'll be going fast downhill wear ski goggles to protect your eyes and forehead.

onekgguy
11-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Just got back from 32 miles. 40 degrees, and last 4 miles it was drizzling. Despite 4 layers, fleece lined bib knickers, ski gloves (hands were warm), baclava, and shoe booties, my toes froze, and I felt chilly - especially the last 4 miles. 1500 feet vertical climbing, steepest hill 13% per the garmin 705.

Almost too cold (humidity in MD sucks for this crap)

Could it be that you were overdressed for the conditions? You want to be a bit on the chilly side when you first start out knowing that you'll warm up during the ride. Too many layers will lead to excess sweat which will cause you to feel cold and clammy. Once that sets in it's just a matter of time before you're chilled to the bone. If you're nice and warm leaving the driveway that's not a good thing.

Kevin g

Dekonick
11-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Could it be that you were overdressed for the conditions? You want to be a bit on the chilly side when you first start out knowing that you'll warm up during the ride. Too many layers will lead to excess sweat which will cause you to feel cold and clammy. Once that sets in it's just a matter of time before you're chilled to the bone. If you're nice and warm leaving the driveway that's not a good thing.

Kevin g

Nope - not overdressed. Wasn't prepared for the rain... that is what did it. I was fine for 3/4 of the ride (minus the start - I agree. You want to be a little chilly. Should have worn the neoprene booties... I hate em, but they keey you dry unless it is a downpour.

Wasn't a fast ride - ~18 mph for the majority of the ride. My neighbor balked when I brought out the fixed gear... he hates it when I ride that sublime machine... can't blame him, but it is my prefered cold weather mount. To appease him, I put her away and got out the geared Hors Cat. :banana:

:) At least I got in 32 miles... better than the revmaster indoors.

Bittersweet
11-17-2008, 08:23 PM
40 degrees F is my cut off for an enjoyable road ride two or more hours in length. Can you ride when it's colder? Sure, no problem. I just won't ENJOY it.

40F is my threshold as well when deciding whether to ride my road bike to get exercise. A little colder on the mtb due to the reduced speed but not too much. Usually in NE at below those temps you can nordic ski which is my preferred winter exercise. If not then run, ride rollers in the garage at any temp, etc. While you can ride at any temp I find it's not that much fun with all the layers vs. other things.

Peter P.
11-17-2008, 08:27 PM
I commuted to work regularly in temps below freezing. It's easily doable without a lot of suffering, but it's not practical nor conducive to developing racing like fitness. It's just good for base mileage.

If you're not commuting, ride indoors if it's below freezing; it's more productive.

Johny
11-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Lake winter boots. Accept no substitute!

Listen to Eric: they are the best money can buy.

They are probably overkills if you don't live in the North.

Elefantino
11-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Any whether that requires you to wear anything more than a vest or arm warmers is too cold, and even that is borderline.

The best weather is that which makes you sweat as soon as you walk outside.

Dekonick
11-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Any whether that requires you to wear anything more than a vest or arm warmers is too cold, and even that is borderline.

I agree - I like it HOT when I ride. Unfortunately, living up north limits this.

Hey, at least the cold kills the mosquitos!

JohnnyMc
11-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Anyone like to ride in freezing weather? If so, how do you dress for it?
I thoroughly enjoy winter cycling. For me, what to wear depends on what kind of cold it is. Is it a crisp, dry, nose-hair-freezing cold, or is it a damp, fat-snow-crystal, hypothermic cold? In general, wool in layers has always worked best for me. A thin balaclava, liner gloves inside ski gloves, and thick wool socks usually cover the extremities.

Additionally, for a long day out, I keep an extra pair of liner gloves, an extra beanie, an extra pair of socks, a couple of instant hand/foot warmers, a couple bread bags (used over the socks on windy and/or wet days) and a windbreaker in my saddlebag. Some hot tea or coffee in a thermos is a nice reason to take a break every so often. If already fully caffienated, I'll bring some hot chicken broth instead.

I take care to keep myself comfortable in the winter. If I'm starting to heat up, I make the time to unzip or take a layer off. If cold, I'll pick up the pace or throw another layer on. It doesn't take too long each season before I find out what gear consistently works for me and eventually find myself pretty comfortable without constantly changing clothes.

Winter riding is different though. Sometimes, it could take all of that day's sun to get in just 40 miles. You can't expect to cover the same amount of ground when you're bundled up, it's -20F, you're riding studded tires, and there's an inch of snow on the dirt road.

That said, it's incredible how rejuvenating a nice winter ride can be. First tracks down a quiet country road, clean air, the comradery of friends, and the quiet...oh, the quiet.

For lots of great winter cycling advice, check out www.icebike.com

Bob Ross
11-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Two years ago I went out for my first "serious" winter ride. Temp was 38°F and in the 15 minutes I stood around at the start waiting for everyone else to show up I got so chilled that I swore I would never ride in temps colder than 38°F.

Eight months later I found myself riding in 32°F. So then I swore I would never ride in temps colder than 32°F.

One month after that I found myself riding in 26°F. So then I swore I would never ride in temps colder than 26°F.

And so on and so forth... I believe the coldest I've been out in is 20°F. But I've learned to never say "never" so it's entirely possible I'll be out in the teens this winter.

What do I wear? Much less than you might imagine. For anything above freezing I wear a lightweight longsleeve synthetic baselayer, a longsleeve jersey (either polyester or wool), and a wind vest. Tights, wool socks, toe covers. Ear covers or a hood. Neoprene gloves, or polypro glove liners under my regular cycling gloves.

Anything more than that and I am too hot within a mile or two.

Once it gets below freezing I swap out the vest & jersey for a jacket, and then when it gets below mid-20's I add the jersey back to the mix (in between the baselayer & the jacket, obviously). I have some heavier winter cycling gloves from Specialized that come out for these mid-20's rides. I also have winter cycling shoes that really aren't that much warmer than my regular shoes+toe covers. I hate full coverage booties but just got a new set this year so might give them another shot.

victoryfactory
11-18-2008, 11:26 AM

+1

VF

A.L.Breguet
11-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Dunno.
It was 21' when I left the apt. this a.m., and 30' when I got home after a 4 1/2 hour ride.

tuscanyswe
11-22-2008, 01:17 PM
atleast a couple of times each winter the temp goes below 10. Still if its dry thats not all that bad compared to 20 and wet weather.

BURCH
11-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Did a 27 mile ride yesterday in 20 something temps. Still can't feel my left toes!!! Only have 63 more miles to meet my goal for the year so I hope that it warms up soon...

Ti Designs
11-23-2008, 07:07 PM
When did cyclists become such wimps? It was 24 degrees and a bit windy yesterday - in a month that'll seem like a nice day for a ride. But being the first cold day everybody thought it was too cold... The weather idiots aren't helping. When did 24 degrees in New England become "bitter cold"? And that "feels like" number only counts if your wet and naked. If it's 24 and I'm dressed right it doesn't feel like it's 11, it feels like it's time for a ride.

gemship
11-23-2008, 07:21 PM
I've been doing roughly 10-11 miles a day all week long here in Gloucester, Ma. Mostly during the evening hours between 5 and 8pm although today I rode early in the afternoon leaving my house at 1 and back by 3. Temps in the mid twenties but windy and felt slight discomfort only when going against the wind. Of course I have a fairly high threshold of pain for cold as I dress well for it. Not sure of the right bike specific kit for cold weather riding and don't care as I was on my commuter bike with platform pedals dressed for logging.

93legendti
11-23-2008, 07:36 PM
I've been out several times in the single digits...that's about as cold as it gets here. Last year it was 6 degrees on one ride. 1 1/2 hours and I lived to fight again.

tuscanyswe
11-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Yuck.

A snowstorm in November *** :D
With storm and 21F on the thermometer now i cant wait till January!

Im glad my bike is currently riding gp 4000s in 22s, i bet i c pavement up close atleast once tomorrow.

TMB
11-23-2008, 08:27 PM
When my cycling group started out yesterday morning in Austin, it was 38 degrees. I felt really comfortable in shoe covers, warm gloves, tights, an undershirt, long-sleeve jersey, vest, and ear warmers. Those garments would probably keep me warm to about 32 degrees. Much below that, however, and I would have trouble keeping my fingers warm with gloves light enough to allow me to shift or keeping my toes from going numb with LBS shoe covers. How about you? Anyone like to ride in freezing weather? If so, how do you dress for it?

There is no too cold. I ride through the winter. Layer up and use the pocket hot shots for hands and feet.

It's all good.

TMB
11-23-2008, 08:37 PM
When did cyclists become such wimps? It was 24 degrees and a bit windy yesterday - in a month that'll seem like a nice day for a ride. But being the first cold day everybody thought it was too cold... The weather idiots aren't helping. When did 24 degrees in New England become "bitter cold"? And that "feels like" number only counts if your wet and naked. If it's 24 and I'm dressed right it doesn't feel like it's 11, it feels like it's time for a ride.

I've been riding in Arizona the last few days.

Around 65 degrees when I head out in the mornings and I'm seeing all the natives in long, full length tights, long sleeves and winter gloves !!

WTH??

It's warm out!!!!

I saw a guy this morning wearing booties for goodness' sake.

issixtoomany
11-23-2008, 09:25 PM
200K in PA Saturday, around 22F at the start, warmed to maybe 30F for a while. Crossing the Susquehanna at Columbia/Wrightsville, 20 mph+ headwind on the nose:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3007/3053784536_0fc651c2fc.jpg?v=0

Typical traffic, approaching downtown Intercourse:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/3053870870_4fb3d1e35f.jpg?v=0

Great ride, cold but bearable, I was actually a bit overheated crossing the river as we had done some pretty tough climbing a few miles before, the cold air blast was almost welcome. Photos by Rick C.

fiamme red
11-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Great ride, cold but bearable, I was actually a bit overheated crossing the river as we had done some pretty tough climbing a few miles before, the cold air blast was almost welcome. Photos by Rick C.You randonneurs are crazy! ;) :rolleyes: :beer:

Ray
11-24-2008, 02:28 AM
200K in PA Saturday, around 22F at the start, warmed to maybe 30F for a while. Crossing the Susquehanna at Columbia/Wrightsville, 20 mph+ headwind on the nose:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3007/3053784536_0fc651c2fc.jpg?v=0

Typical traffic, approaching downtown Intercourse:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/3053870870_4fb3d1e35f.jpg?v=0

Great ride, cold but bearable, I was actually a bit overheated crossing the river as we had done some pretty tough climbing a few miles before, the cold air blast was almost welcome. Photos by Rick C.
Good for you, but y'all are crazy. I took a long WALK on Saturday about 30 miles east of where you were. And I was FREEZING! We got about 3 inches of snow on Friday and I saw even the most hard-core rider in town walking around town because there was too much black ice on the roads. Looks like Lancaster didn't get the snow.

-Ray

Elefantino
11-24-2008, 06:48 AM
When did cyclists become such wimps?
Easy ... when we moved to Florida.

William
11-24-2008, 06:58 AM
The cool thing about riding around in temps that are in the teens or twenties is that when the temp goes back up into the thirties it feels like a heat wave. 35 degrees? Break out the shorts and arm warmers!!! :banana:

William

issixtoomany
11-24-2008, 08:08 AM
Good for you, but y'all are crazy. I took a long WALK on Saturday about 30 miles east of where you were. And I was FREEZING! We got about 3 inches of snow on Friday and I saw even the most hard-core rider in town walking around town because there was too much black ice on the roads. Looks like Lancaster didn't get the snow.

-Ray

Lancaster didn't get 3 inches, but at higher elevations east of Turkey Hill there was an inch or 2, and all the roads were heavily salted but mostly dry. Near Honey Brook:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3207/3053913336_92d9973d72.jpg?v=0

johnnymossville
11-24-2008, 08:24 AM
I think down to 20 degrees is ok as long as the wind isn't too bad. I'm a wimp when it gets worse than that.

93legendti
11-24-2008, 08:33 AM

-Ray
What did you wear? I walked for an hour yesterday in 20 degree temps with wind and I was schvitzing lightly by the end.

xjoex
11-24-2008, 08:53 AM
I (now) have two sets of wheels and go between studs and regular tires for winter riding.

If you have the right gear its not a problem. This weekend was pretty cold but I bundled up and went out for a few hours each day.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/boulderjoe/bikes/100_2819.jpg

I use the Nokian Mount and Ground, which is their commuter tire, but it still works perfectly for the kind of winter riding I do.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/boulderjoe/bikes/100_2817.jpg

-Joe

dogdriver
11-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Just walked the kids to the bus. 12' F. Too cold.

Ray
11-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Lancaster didn't get 3 inches, but at higher elevations east of Turkey Hill there was an inch or 2, and all the roads were heavily salted but mostly dry. Near Honey Brook:
If you draw a line from northwest from Honey Brook to Downingtown to West Chester, we seemed to get hit the hardest of the whole region, with Downingtown and West Chester getting the most. Nice shot near Honey Brook - I love riding out there but usually don't venture that far afield this time of year. Like I said, you guys are crazy. :cool: Good on ya!

What did you wear? I walked for an hour yesterday in 20 degree temps with wind and I was schvitzing lightly by the end.
Upper body was ok, but the hat and pants were both too light for the combination of temperature and wind. When its below freezing and windy, that can really bite through inadequate clothing. When I'm dressed right, I get too warm walking the hills in the teens - have to start opening vents.

-Ray

rwsaunders
11-24-2008, 10:28 AM
We had a break in the temps, it was sunny and the roads were dry. Still some snow in the shade, but it felt great to get out.