PDA

View Full Version : Vague Mavic tech question

A.L.Breguet
11-16-2008, 12:48 PM
A team mate wishes to give me a set of Mavic clinchers with Mavic hubs. The question is, since they are old enough to be currently set up for Campy 8 speed, will I be able to adapt them to run Campy 9/10. I haven't seen the wheels yet, as they are in storage a few states away.
Thanks

Dave
11-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Campy changed the spline pattern when 9 speed came out, so 9 & 10 fit the same cassette body, but 9/10 cassettes won't fit on an 8 speed Campy hub without modification.

http://www.branfordbike.com/cgi-bin/perlshop/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=push&thispage=cassette/cog1.html&ORDER_ID=239932361

Any Mavic hub with a Campy compatible cassette body should be adpatable to 8 speed by using 9 speed loose cogs with the proper spacers.

A.L.Breguet
11-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the info.
To clarify, I know that campy 8 speed hubs don't take 9/10 speed cassetes. I'm hoping that Mavic hubs, which these are, used/use a cassete system that allows for the forward compatibility that I seek.
Sorry for the lack of clarity on my part. :confused:

Brian Smith
11-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the info.
To clarify, I know that campy 8 speed hubs don't take 9/10 speed cassetes. I'm hoping that Mavic hubs, which these are, used/use a cassete system that allows for the forward compatibility that I seek.
Sorry for the lack of clarity on my part. :confused:

It depends...if those Mavic hubs are "set up for" campy 8 via the installation of an 8-speed freewheel, then lights out, no way, forget it.
If this was a question substituting the word Shimano for the word Campy, then there would be no problem fitting a 9/10 cassette, possibly requirring a new Mavic freehub body. Since it's not that way, we might need to know which hub exactly these wheels have, in order to know whether or not a 9/10 speed freehub is available for them.

A.L.Breguet
11-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks.
When I get the full story, I'll post again.

A.L.Breguet
11-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Um, I got a little more info: The wheels are Cosmic Pro deep aluminum clinchers.

deanster
11-18-2008, 04:04 AM
Contact Excelsports in Boulder, Colorado. They can make the switch for you if it is possible.

A.L.Breguet
11-18-2008, 05:19 AM
Contact Excelsports in Boulder, Colorado. They can make the switch for you if it is possible.

Thanks!

:banana:

Pete Serotta
11-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Frank's in RALEIGH or MiKE in Parkridge(cyclesport) can also. Do not know where you are located or the wheels are BUT they can ship the part to you and the body (if it is like the ones I have) are easy to change.

A.L.Breguet
11-29-2008, 06:56 PM
I've received the wheels.
They're Mavic Cosmic Expert Clinchers, with what appears to be an 8 speed Shimano cassette with what is definetly a Shimano hyperglide lockring.
When I spoke to Cyclesport and Excelsport, I told them it was a Campagnolo cassette, and they said no way can I convert to campy 9/10.
So, folks, with this new info, would you say I can put on an American classic coversion cassette to run campy 10?
Thanks for any input.

jbrainin
11-29-2008, 07:50 PM
I've received the wheels.
So, folks, with this new info, would you say I can put on an American classic coversion cassette to run campy 10?
Thanks for any input.

Naaah. Just wait until you can get a conversion cassette to run campy 11! :p

Seriously though, I'd be more inclined to rebuild the rear wheel with a suitable hub for your needs.

totally_fixxate
11-30-2008, 02:16 AM
http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/tech-mavic/uk/sources/Produits/ROUTE/Roues/CosExpert/CosExpertSpareParts.pdf

http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/tech-mavic/uk/sources/Produits/ROUTE/Roues/CosExpert/CosExpertFreeHubBody.pdf

A.L.Breguet
11-30-2008, 03:59 AM
totally fixxate, thanks a million! I knew the tech info had to be out there somewhere in the internets! :beer:

thwart
11-30-2008, 09:00 AM
If the above doesn't work out, I'm running a Wheels Mfg. conversion cassette on my Heliums, which probably have the very same freehub.

Works very well.