PDA

View Full Version : Smelly riding clothing

false_Aest
11-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Hey,

I have a few jerseys that will not give up the sweat smell. I'm pretty sure that I could wash them in hot hot water and get the smell out but I'd rather not ruin my cloths.

Suggestions?

paczki
11-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Hey,

I have a few jerseys that will not give up the sweat smell. I'm pretty sure that I could wash them in hot hot water and get the smell out but I'd rather not ruin my cloths.

Suggestions?

Chanel #5. Lots of it.

capybaras
11-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Blame it on the dog.

bigbill
11-16-2008, 11:41 AM
The two ways that worked for me was to soak them in a vinegar/water solution for an hour before washing and adding borax to the laundry.

markie
11-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Throw them out.

Buy some merino jerseys.

Viper
11-16-2008, 11:45 AM
I am going to buy the Assos fabric cleaner. I don't sweat a whole lot, but being preppy, I like to look and smell good. I have been known to wash my bibs and shorts in the sink with several drops of pure Tea Tree Oil. I can't say enough good things about tea tree oil, before the invention of antibiotics, it along with oil of oregano were the deal. Check out Assos:

http://www.amazon.com/Assos-Cycling-Active-Wear-Cleanser/dp/B000F49ZMK

I mean who wants phantom odor syndrome (POS), "Assos Active Wear Cleanser is designed specifically for active wear that contains elastic materials like Lycra and Spandex. It has a neutral PH level so it won't corrode the elastic grippers and the stitching. This cleanser also has special anti-bacterial and anti-odor agents that will protect your skin from infections and protect your active wear from phantom odor syndrome. Assos Active Wear Cleanser also has special ingredients that have been added to preserve the color vividness of your active wear and to maintain its elasticity."

ADD
11-16-2008, 12:04 PM
What BigBill said. You can always add some vinager to the wash too.....just might have to rinse twice to get the vinager out

android
11-16-2008, 12:10 PM
I haven't tried it, but a guy I ride with swears by the stuff they sell to wash hunting clothes. Says it totally removes the funk (and blood stains also!)

And now is the season to buy it.

Dustin
11-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Another vote for getting rid of the plastic and buying some merino wool. The stuff is just flat out comfortable, never leaving you feeling clammy, and it doesn't stink. Seriously. I can commute in the same merino wool t-shirt all week long, and at the end of the week the reason I need to clean it is not because it stinks, but because you can see salt on it from all the sweat.

cleavel
11-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Hi,

Been using Win High Performance Sport Liquid Detergent (http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Detergent-Oxygenated-Formula-21-Ounce/dp/B001EPRAXA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1226871061&sr=8-1) for my cycling and my wife's running clothes. My opinion: It works!

palincss
11-16-2008, 03:51 PM
One more vote for Merino wool.

Peter P.
11-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Try adding Pine-Sol to your wash load. I've done it for grease stained clothing and not only is it effective on the stains, it leaves them with a pine-like aroma. The label says it "Deodorizes". I add 1 cup per load. It's found in the cleaners/detergent aisle at your supermarket, near the floor cleaners like Mr. Clean or Spic and Span.

Ahneida Ride
11-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Opps .. :rolleyes:

I though this post was for Smiley's riding clothing .....

Sorry ....

DRZRM
11-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Yeah, buy wool, but Bac-Out (available at your friendly Whole Foods) should help with any biological scent.

cleavel
11-17-2008, 12:09 AM
Hello All,

I haven't used wool clothing in years and I hadn't heard of Merlino wool until last year. So what kind of special properties does Merlino wool possess that keeps it from smelling? My old wool stuff would smell after a while.

BTW, I felt the same way about "plastic" clothing as some of you but I find that it works better for me than any wool that I've ever owned in the past (and some of it was supposed to be top end).

Birddog
11-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Google "Merino wool" for more info. "Smartwool" is a brand and uses Merino taken one step further. It is very good stuff IMO. I have started to use mainly wool socks, they just feel better, wick better and stay warmer when it's cold and wet. I also use wool arm and leg warmers, much prefer them over synthetics, esp the leg warmers. They have a wider comfort range. I'm also gradually shifting to Merino wool base layers. Additionally, I have an Ibex wool jersey. It's great for multiday use, but the pockets are on the smallish side, and if loaded, they make the jersey sag like a mini dress. It and all wool, perform at their best in cold and wet conditions. Those are conditions that I try to avoid, but sometimes it's nec. to have the stuff just in case. In choosing base layers, be careful, so far I think you get what you pay for. I have one base layer that claims to be Merino that I got from STP for cheap, and it's worth darn near every cent. I also have an Icebreaker from them, and it's in a different league, but then I paid more for it. For base layers, I buy zip T's as I also use them for skiing. I almost forgot, I also have an Ibex wool jacket (at least it has some wool in it) and I like it mucho too.

Birddog

false_Aest
11-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Another vote for getting rid of the plastic and buying some merino wool. The stuff is just flat out comfortable, never leaving you feeling clammy, and it doesn't stink. Seriously. I can commute in the same merino wool t-shirt all week long, and at the end of the week the reason I need to clean it is not because it stinks, but because you can see salt on it from all the sweat.

That advice doesn't help--AT ALL Especially since I have hundreds of FRNs tied up in clothing already. DIGGIT?

I'll deal with the smell before I run out and drop $$ that I don't have on clothing that I don't need.

OperaLover
11-17-2008, 10:49 AM
I have had some success with hanging my stinky jerseys outside where they get some sun exposure. The UV, even in the winter, seems to work.

Idris Icabod
11-17-2008, 01:14 PM
I've found that a scoop of Oxiclean (the stuff advertised ad-infinitum on the television by Billy Mays) does the trick on smelly biking clothes. You can buy it from Target. Just add it along with your normal powder and wash normally, I think it is on a warm wash but my wife bought a washer with about 3 million settings, so not sure about the exact temperature.

cadence231
11-17-2008, 03:07 PM
I've found that a scoop of Oxiclean (the stuff advertised ad-infinitum on the television by Billy Mays) does the trick on smelly biking clothes. You can buy it from Target. Just add it along with your normal powder and wash normally, I think it is on a warm wash but my wife bought a washer with about 3 million settings, so not sure about the exact temperature.

+1!

After hearing another forum member recommend this "oxi-" type of product I went to the store and got some "oxibrite". I have used it for about 4 loads now over the last 3 weeks...I am a single guy. The results have been amazing. I have had a problem with stinky dish rags and towels and they now have no foul odor to them!! I have even seen some of my whites getting whitter!!! The stuff is no joke. atmo.

steelrider
11-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Throw them out.

Buy some merino jerseys.

+1. Mother nature's high-tech fabric.

Dustin
11-18-2008, 12:36 AM
That advice doesn't help--AT ALL Especially since I have hundreds of FRNs tied up in clothing already. DIGGIT?

I'll deal with the smell before I run out and drop $$ that I don't have on clothing that I don't need.

Stink away then. :D But I'll stick with my merino.

shinomaster
11-18-2008, 12:48 AM
The pits on my cross racing skinsuit reek. I guess I smell bad when I race.

Elefantino
11-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Do you line dry or machine dry?

false_Aest
11-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Do you line dry or machine dry?

Line usually but not always outside. If I do machine dry I use a low "fluff" setting.