PDA

View Full Version : Brought out the medieval torture device today (aka Concept II indoor rower)

Louis
11-15-2008, 10:50 PM
It was cloudy, ~36*, drizzly, with lots of wind so I decided that tomorrow will be the better day to ride. Since I wanted to do something I dragged out my Model C from storage (where it's been waiting patiently since early May) dusted it off, cleaned the flywheel, lubed the chain and gave it a go.

I felt great the first 1250 meters or so, pulling 2:05 / 500 m (which really amazed me, since that's pretty darn good for me, especially for the very first row of the season) but my lack of conditioned showed pretty quickly and I slowed down a bit after that. Ended up doing two 2000 m pieces.

In my opinion there are only two types of bike rides, one when you enjoy the ride and are happy to be out there, and a second where it's miserable, but when you're done you're happy you did it. There is only one type of indoor rowing session, and unfortunately it's the latter. I don't enjoy actually doing it, but when I'm done I'm glad I put myself through it.

Louis

happycampyer
11-16-2008, 12:15 AM
There is only one type of indoor rowing session, and unfortunately it's the latter.And for good reason: it was indoors. If you had done the same workout in a boat on the water, you would probably have felt the same feeling of satisfaction (if not greater) that you feel when you have a good ride on your bike. Personally, I find the degree of sensory depravation between indoor vs. outdoor rowing to be even greater than between indoor vs. outdoor bike riding.

paczki
11-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Although I'm newer to rowing, I can already tell you are not thinking about it right. I have one word: Pyramids.

Suffer on the first 250, try to go sub-1:40. Then your window of attention will narrow to the screen in front of you and nothing more except -- "How will I survive the second 1000 meters?" It won't be miserable because you won't really be able to think, just grimace. Then it will be over. :banana:

Sheldon4209
11-16-2008, 08:50 PM
I row on a Waterrower for a half hour several times a week in the winter. I watch TV and/or listen to music while I row. If I am having problems getting motivated I tell myself to get on and do 15 minutes. Usually I get the first 15 in and keep going for my half hour. Longer that a half hour gets difficult for me.

Louis
11-17-2008, 10:57 AM
try to go sub-1:40

Ha! Like that's ever going to happen. 1:50 something is the lowest I think I've ever seen (and not for long)