PDA

View Full Version : Winter Riding Question

JonathanB
11-15-2008, 09:46 PM
I live in New England, where the roads are salted after snow storms. I would like to keep using my nice Dura Ace equipped carbon bike, but worry about the damage the salt and road junk would do to it. I am good about taking care of my bikes and clean them after rides. Should I just go ahead and ride through the winter on this bike or use one of the clunkers sitting in my basement. Thoughts and suggestions welcome. Thanks, Jonathan

rex
11-15-2008, 09:54 PM
If there is salt on the road, I would ride the clunker.

flickwet
11-15-2008, 09:57 PM
I would worry about the finish on the steel and aluminum bits as far as corrosion is concerned, I mean if you want to thats your decision but even the most well heeled auto enthusiasts don't often drive their finest in the winter, winter bikes are often built from basement clunkers, why not build up something cool for winter use? fatter tires and fenders can really do the winter trick actually making the messy season signifigantly more enjoyable and allowing for more rideab days and save the D/A carbon race bike for cleaner weather.

CNY rider
11-16-2008, 06:21 AM
I'm in upstate NY and I commute year round.
The bulk of the winter riding falls on my cross/commuter bike.
I do a total strip down of that bike each spring and a thorough cleaning.
As far as I can tell the frame has only a few superficial rust spots; the components however seem to get totally trashed by the salting. I'm talking brake calipers, chains, cables etc. just are a mess after the winter season.
I replace stuff on that bike with mid-grade or lower components because I know they're expendables. By doing that, I keep my other "nice" bikes safe in the basement and i can put quality stuff on them to enjoy the rest of the year.

Pete Serotta
11-16-2008, 06:41 AM
Components get the most beat up for they are moving parts and not protected by "protective" paint, as the frame is. The newer frame finishes (over the past years) have really helped the frame.

I even use to be able to rust the top eyelets on a SEROTTA in less than a year on the 80s paint jobs. As to Italian paint and tube prep in the 80s, I could rust a down tube in two seasons. No steel frames seem to never rust on me.

Ti Designs
11-16-2008, 06:59 AM
There are two types of cyclists out there, those who see the bike as a work of art and those who see it as a tool. Most people fall somewhere between those two, and that's really a question you need to ask yourself.

I too live in New England where they sand and salt the streets on the forcast of snow (we've gotten accumulations of road salt, without snow - and for some reason the public works department always goes over budget...). There are just so many reasons to ride a fixed gear in the winter, but you've hit a big one. You and build a fixed gear cheap, there are few parts to clean or even worry about cleaning - I clean my Surley once a year, if it needs it or not. Combine that with a better workout in a shorter time, a better feel for what the rear wheel is on, and you're working all the time so it's warmer, and it's no-brainer. For the ultimate New England winter bike, add some agressive cross tires, mountain bike style fenders, and some lights.

mike p
11-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Get a beater bike.

Mike

android
11-16-2008, 09:21 AM
I clean my Surley once a year, if it needs it or not.

Even if it's still a little bit clean from last time?? :rolleyes:

chuckred
11-16-2008, 10:01 AM
I live in New England, where the roads are salted after snow storms. I would like to keep using my nice Dura Ace equipped carbon bike, but worry about the damage the salt and road junk would do to it. I am good about taking care of my bikes and clean them after rides. Should I just go ahead and ride through the winter on this bike or use one of the clunkers sitting in my basement. Thoughts and suggestions welcome. Thanks, Jonathan

This is NOT meant to be a steel vs. carbon thing... but I know I'm more likely to have a minor fall here and there riding in snow and ice. It's just a little less worrisom to do that on an old steel bike instead of an expensive carbon bike...

JonathanB
11-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks to everyone for responding. I was going to sell an older steel bike to simplify things and have only 2 bikes, a carbon racing one and an old aluminum bike for trail riding and commuting. But, it looks like it would be a better idea to ride the steel bike (I know, Framesaver) in the winter to ruin 105 components and preserve the Dura Ace for when its nicer out. Hopefully we will have a mild and late onset winter so I can ride my nice bike for as long as possible. Great input that helps me out. Jonathan

bigbill
11-16-2008, 10:42 AM
As a suggestion for anyone looking for a winter bike, I rode a Soma as a commuter for years in Hawaii. We didn't have "winters" but my commute was on the Pearl Harbor bike path that was often covered in brackish seawater. I rode that bike rain or shine but usually the commute involved some kind of rain and a few inches of saltwater. I had a problem with the frame that required sending it back, but when I stripped the parts off the tubes were rust free inside.

flickwet
11-17-2008, 10:52 AM
There are two types of cyclists out there, those who see the bike as a work of art and those who see it as a tool. Most people fall somewhere between those two, and that's really a question you need to ask yourself.

I too live in New England where they sand and salt the streets on the forcast of snow (we've gotten accumulations of road salt, without snow - and for some reason the public works department always goes over budget...). There are just so many reasons to ride a fixed gear in the winter, but you've hit a big one. You and build a fixed gear cheap, there are few parts to clean or even worry about cleaning - I clean my Surley once a year, if it needs it or not. Combine that with a better workout in a shorter time, a better feel for what the rear wheel is on, and you're working all the time so it's warmer, and it's no-brainer. For the ultimate New England winter bike, add some agressive cross tires, mountain bike style fenders, and some lights.
Ti Designs is right on as always You would not miss your Carbon race bike as much by building a cool surly winter bike, there is a culture and a web presence which will stand you in good stead throuhgout the winter's chill. No they certainly are not a replacement for a Serotta or equivilant but I'm sure many of the forum members love their surlys for what they do, Fine art vs Performance art, an ugly tapestry will keep your castle warmer than a painting