PDA

View Full Version : Any Tukwila / SeaTac Cyclists out there?

Louis
11-13-2008, 09:37 PM
I was just in Seattle on business and the guys who traveled with me knew the area well and they knew that I was a cyclist so on Wednesday as we were driving to lunch they said "There's a street we have to show you," so we drove over to check it out. It was S 178th just west of Southcenter. It turns out that westbound the sign at the bottom says "21%."

It was pretty impressive. Not super long but past the super-steep part it went down, then back up some more. Looked like that might be a fun climb. The down side is if you go eastbound there's a traffic light at the bottom so you can't really enjoy the fastest section.

Has anybody out there done this hill?

Louis

LilBolt
11-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Haven't done it. If it's the hill I'm thinking of, there are some deep grooves carved into the pavement, so not particularly skinny tire friendly. It is something to watch the water cascade down the hill when we get a good rain shower. Traffic can be heavy there and I wouldn't consider it a preferred area to ride when there are so many other places (& hills) around.

Ozz
11-14-2008, 10:53 AM
I know the street you mean....pretty nasty. I have not ridden it, nor would I want to. Like LilBolt said, the traffic is pretty bad and the pavement is not in great shape.

You out visiting our local airplane company?