PDA

View Full Version : shipping

fungusamungus33
11-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Who are you folks using to ship complete bikes? I haven't had the "pleasure" in a while. I might ship a nearly 30 pound touring bike to WA from NY. I don't want the thing destroyed and I rather not break the bank.

Thanks in advance for any help.

CCB

regularguy412
11-13-2008, 02:21 PM
My recent experience, tho it was not complete bike , just a frame and fork: Please note that I 'did' pack it in a box designed to carry a complete bike, so the box size was right-on. I just wanted to use more packing around the frame to 'insulate' it from the sides and corners. The frame and fork were a CSI 56 square and an Ouzo Pro fork which weigh-in at just about 3.5 lbs. With all internal insulation, the box weighed 18 lbs. I used FedEx to ship to Serotta in NY. The base price for shipping alone was about $40.00. I added $2,000 in insurance which brought the shipping total to approx. $63.00.

The package arrived at Serotta in good order with no issues. I thot it wise to include the words 'TOP LOAD ONLY!' on all six surfaces. I'm not sure if this made any difference, but it didn't hurt.

Mike in AR:beer:

fungusamungus33
11-13-2008, 02:35 PM
This is a touring bike and likely to weigh 40 lbs. when packed. I want to give the guy a deal without losing my shirt in the shipping.

Thanks for your input.

fourflys
11-13-2008, 03:58 PM
See if a local bike shop will ship it for you...sometimes businesses can get a better deal.

SoCalSteve
11-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Who are you folks using to ship complete bikes? I haven't had the "pleasure" in a while. I might ship a nearly 30 pound touring bike to WA from NY. I don't want the thing destroyed and I rather not break the bank.

Thanks in advance for any help.

CCB

Packing a complete bike is an art in itself...A good bike store can usually do a pretty good job of getting it all in a box without too much shifting...I just charge the LBS fee to the buyer and expect to pay at least $50.00 to ship a big heavy box across the country.

Good luck,

Steve

John M
11-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Last time I shipped from WA to OH, was about $50 on DHL, which was about $7-8 less than the Fedex quote and about $10 less than the UPS quote. Though I did see a news report this week that DHL is going to discontinue US domestic service.

Pete Serotta
11-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Last time I shipped from WA to OH, was about $50 on DHL, which was about $7-8 less than the Fedex quote and about $10 less than the UPS quote. Though I did see a news report this week that DHL is going to discontinue US domestic service.

YES DHL will be LOTS cheaper now!!

victoryfactory
11-14-2008, 11:29 AM
This is a touring bike and likely to weigh 40 lbs. when packed. I want to give the guy a deal without losing my shirt in the shipping.

Thanks for your input.

On a large bike box, both Fedex and UPS charge by Dimensional Weight
Which is (I'm not making this up) LxWxH divided by 194

So if your bike box is 45"x32"x12" that ships as 89 lbs no matter what it
actually weighs

In addition If the length plus girth of the box is over 130"
(that's 2xHeight + 2xWidth +1xLength)
They add an additional $45. to the 90 lbs rate and that box could cost $75.
depending on where you ship to (Ground, not even air)

I think most bike boxes are now made to come in under the 130" limit to
avoid the surcharge but be very careful if you re-use an older box.

If someone is charging $50. for a full bike box, that's a good deal.
Finally, if you take your box to a storefront shipper who uses Fedex or UPS
they often will just weigh it and undercharge you because they are not
familiar with all those rules. I've seen that happen a lot.
Sorry for the long winded answer, but this is something I do at work every day.

VF

fungusamungus33
11-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks everyone! This place is always a wealth of knowledge.

CCB