PDA

View Full Version : On Topic - "3 Feet Please" Worldwide Campaign

RABikes2
11-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Last Friday, I received a phone call from Joe Mizereck, founder of the Worldwide Campaign for "3 Feet Please" http://3feetplease.com/ to tell me the first batch of jerseys were in. Wow! They look fabulous and fit great. We will have our shop order this afternoon, so the floor display will be done by the end of the day. Jerseys are for sale.

Please pass the "3 Feet Please" website on to your local bike clubs, shops, family, and friends. Joe's campaign message, even now in the early stages, is reaching out far and wide. He's receiving phone calls and emails from all over the United States, Canada, London, Netherlands, ... all interested in the campaign message and purchasing the jersey.

Also for purchase will be the same jersey without "It's the Law" on the front for those places where it's not the law yet, but where cyclists want to get the message circulating about "3 Feet Please" (displayed on the back). Short sleeve, club fit, Voler, custom jersey's are available right now. Around the first week in December, a long sleeve jersey will be available. And next spring, Joe expects a sleeveless jersey to be available for purchase. Shorts are likely to follow soon, too.

RA
The following is from Joe's website: http://3feetplease.com/

"3 Feet Please"
Worldwide Campaign

A Worldwide Campaign to Save Lives...

Jerseys are in...
The battle for space between cyclists and motorists is intensifying--worldwide. And the need for space has never been greater. More must be done to educate motorists of the importance of sharing our roads and giving cyclists at least 3 feet of clearance when passing.

As a cyclist who spends a lot of time on the roads in traffic I rarely end a ride without a close call. I decided to act. I designed a jersey with the words "3 Feet Please" on the back. I shared this idea with several fellow cyclists who thought this could make a difference. Fueled by their enthusiasm I placed an order for several hundred jerseys with Voler, built a website and launched a campaign to save lives.

Currently, thirteen states* in the US have laws requiring motorists to give cyclists at least 3 feet of clearance when passing. These "3 foot laws" are a good step in making our roads safer for cyclists. The challenge is educating motorists about the law and reminding them to follow the law.

We all love riding our bikes. Most drivers are courteous and they give us space. But there are a large number of drivers who just don’t get it. They don’t get the fear that sweeps over us as they pass within inches of our bodies. And they don’t get how hitting us would change lives---theirs, ours and our families.

It’s my hope that this “3 Feet Please” jersey will remind drivers to share the roads that belong to all of us and to give us at least 3 feet clearance as they pass. This will make our riding safer and far more enjoyable. But most importantly, it will reduce the numbers of cyclists who are injured or worse killed.

For cyclists who live in states or countries that do not have a "3 foot law" yet you can purchase a jersey without "It's the law" on the front. Just choose Option 2 when you order.

You can order your “3 Feet Please” jersey today online. The price of the jersey is $65 plus tax and shipping.

Order your "3 Feet Please" jersey now. http://3feetplease.com/

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at joe@3feetplease.com or you can call me at 1.800.761.0907. If you want to place a bulk order for your club or shop, contact me for special pricing.

Thank you,

Joe Mizereck

* The US states with "3 foot laws" are: Florida, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Oregon, Illinois, Tennessee, Minnesota, Utah, Wisconsin, Arizona, South Carolina, Washington and Maine...other states aren't far behind.

PS Our friends in Canada are trying to secure the 3 foot legislation and safer roads in their provinces. A new friend of mine Laurel-Lea Shannon, Editor, Women's Cycling ca is leading the cause. Check out her blog and appeal at: http://womenscycling.ca/blog/?page_id=37

TimB
11-13-2008, 01:33 PM
just in time for Holiday gift-giving to boot!

I really like this. I've often thought about securing a 6-foot pole across the back of my bike with flags on the ends to get this point across.

The jersey idea is clearly superior.

Lifelover
11-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Kinda cool looking but I don't see it helping and maybe even hurting. There is no way I would wear that on a busy road.

The people who will be respectful of cyclist already are. The people that want to be A-holes will see this as a bullseye and will pass even closer to make a statement.

One of our local buying clubs (BJ's is right next to a strip mall. The strip mall did not want people leaving their BJ's shopping carts in the fire lane behind the strip mall so they painted "No Carts Here" in about 3 foot letters on the wall. The number of carts along the wall doubled. I see these jerseys having the same impact.

RABikes2
11-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Please read Joe's homepage statement ...
"The challenge is educating motorists about the law and reminding them to follow the law."

We are cyclists who realize attitudes can't be changed overnight, but the purpose behind this campaign isn't to challenge motorists, but to educate motorists.

I live in a small town outside the state capital (Tallahassee) of Florida, but when the law passed here, there was no fanfare or great announcements. There was a blurb on the evening local news and a short blip in the newspaper. My elderly parents who live in the Tampa Bay area never heard of the new law. When my son studied the driver's manual a year ago, if I remember correctly, bicycles were only briefly mentioned in two different sections. His driver's ed teacher didn't tell the students anything about sharing the road with cyclists or show them how to share the road. Andrew knew the law because I bike. That is the way it is. So in reality, with all the residents, part-time residents, and visitors to our state (FL), chances are pretty high that a huge percentage aren't even aware of bicycle/car laws.

It's nobody's fault, but instead of complaining, the jersey is a beginning ... it teaches.

I wore my jersey to work yesterday (bike shop); customers loved it. On the way home, I stopped at Cracker Barrel in Tallahassee for a purchase. First person encountered was one of our Havana police officers and his wife. The jersey made for excellent conversation. He agreed too, that many in law enforcement aren't aware of the law. Within the 15 minutes I was in the store, two more individuals asked "what was the law?" Next stop was grocery store Publix with a shopping time of 15 minutes. I was asked two more times "what was the law?"

What I was hearing from these questions was that motorists are unaware and surprised by the law. When asked, I explain what the law is and ask them to be aware of cyclists on the road. Simple. Wearing the jersey, explaining the law, putting a face and life attached to the jersey ... hopefully the next time one of those drivers encounters cyclists, they'll think about their driving actions.

The 3' law is practically impossible to enforce, we all know this. I agree Lifelover, there'll always be that group such as you describe, but if one cyclist is saved from injury or death because of a jersey that states awareness, then Joe's "3 Feet Please" campaign has served its purpose.

When somebody asks about the jersey's message (and they will), be gracious (un-confrontational), and explain it. If we don't explain it, how do we expect the word to get out? Again, if we (cyclists) want motorists to be more aware of us, then WE need to take the responsibility upon ourselves to do the educating.

Pointing fingers and blaming doesn't do squat; nobody gets anywhere.

Change has to begin somewhere, so why not with this simple, but brilliant idea.

Peace.

RA

MarleyMon
11-14-2008, 09:58 AM
I like the idea. Its a request and uses the word "please".
I don't think it would cause an increase in driver aggression,
and it might help. Its a start, and as a national or international
campaign it adds some weight to the cause for those of us in
states where it is not a law.

I'd like to see it in the flouresent green that road construction workers wear.

Maybe we need a jersey that appeals directly to drivers' self-interest:

< Demand =
< Gas $ 4 U

or

I Won't Take UR
Parking Place

Ahneida Ride
11-14-2008, 10:17 AM
The people who will be respectful of cyclist already are. The people that want to be A-holes will see this as a bullseye and will pass even closer to make a statement.

This is why I ride in a t shirt and not in a Jersey.
I don't want to make any statments.

Birddog
11-14-2008, 09:21 PM
The US states with "3 foot laws" are: Florida, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Oregon, Illinois, Tennessee, Minnesota, Utah, Wisconsin, Arizona, South Carolina, Washington and Maine...other states aren't far behind

Oklahoma should be on that list. We passed the law last summer.

Birddog

andy mac
11-14-2008, 11:00 PM
ummm, if it's a worldwide campaign shouldn't it kinda use the metric system??

:rolleyes:

(i agree '0.9144 meters please' doesn't have quite the same ring to it!!)

RABikes2
11-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Prime example ...

Yesterday afternoon I got a call from a good friend, Ernie, in the Ft. Lauderdale area. He cycles approximately 11,000 miles a year. Friday he was out riding, following the rules of the road (traveling through an intersection - staying by the line), a car comes by and a truck was tailgating the car. The mirror on the truck lifted Ernie off the bike and he was down. An unmarked cop car stopped at the intersection light witnessed the accident. Four cops and an ambulance later and Ernie is told he's at fault for being on the road. Not one cop was aware of the 3 foot law.

Ernie had just received my email announcing the jersey and campaign on Wednesday and kept telling the cops about the law; how could he be at fault when the trucks mirror hit him? Finally, one of them did a search on his car computer and then told Ernie none of them had heard of the law prior to this accident. He won't know what the charges are (if he's still considered at fault) until he gets a copy of the police report. He's beat up and sore, but thank God he's alive.

Many new laws become effective yearly, but that doesn't mean everybody knows about them. Education, awareness, and advertisement is needed.

Just saying.

RA

rePhil
11-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Our son is a Police officer. He recently told me he pulled a guy over for driving with two wheels in a marked bike lane. I am proud he tries to make a difference even if it's one Officer, one violation at a time.

I read something interesting the other day. It is legal in Florida to cross a double yellow in a no passing zone, when the oncoming lane is visible if there is room to reenter the lane before obstructing oncoming traffic

RABikes2
11-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Ed Pavelka of RBR.com acknowledged the 3 Feet Please campaign in this week's RBR newsletter.

RA

Hey Ed ... ;) :D
3 Feet Please!

We're considering offering a RoadBikeRider.com cycling jersey. Whether we do or don't, we've just seen one you may be interested in. It could help if the drivers in your area seem oblivious to your rights (or your life) and their responsibility.

The jersey is road-sign yellow for visibility. On the back in black type almost as big as could fit it says 3 FEET PLEASE along with SAFE DISTANCE. You get the idea, and it's hoped overtaking motorists will too.

This is the brainstorm of a rider named Joe Mizereck, who notes on his website that a 3-foot-wide passing margin (1 meter) is actually required in 13 U.S. states -- Florida, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Oregon, Illinois, Tennessee, Minnesota, Utah, Wisconsin, Arizona, South Carolina, Washington and Maine.

If you live in one of them, you can get the jersey with IT'S THE LAW on the front. If you don't, there's a version without that slogan.

Mizereck explains his bright (yellow) idea: "As a cyclist who spends a lot of time on the roads in traffic I rarely end a ride without a close call. I decided to act.

"I designed this jersey and shared this idea with several fellow cyclists, who thought it could make a difference. Fueled by their enthusiasm I placed an order for several hundred jerseys with Voler, built a website and launched a campaign to save lives."

This jersey isn't the world's most attractive but it could be one of the most effective. The short-sleeve "club fit" model is shown at http://3feetplease.com, where orders can be placed. Price is $65 plus shipping and tax. A long-sleeve version is expected in early December, with a sleeveless model coming next spring. Bulk pricing is available for clubs and other organizations.

How often do drivers pass you closer than 3 feet (one meter)?

We give you 7 ways to answer on our poll page, where you can also find an archive of previous poll results. Please click, vote and come back to finish reading.

RABikes2
11-20-2008, 11:36 PM
ummm, if it's a worldwide campaign shouldn't it kinda use the metric system?? :rolleyes: (i agree '0.9144 meters please' doesn't have quite the same ring to it!!)
As of this afternoon, Joe has been receiving emails and phone calls from cyclists, bike clubs, and organizations from around the world placing jersey orders (U.S., South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, UK, Spain, London, ... ). In the very near future, jersey's with "1 Meter Please" and jersey's with country/language appropriateness will be available. Also, soon to come will be black T-shirts with the same message in yellow lettering. Bumper stickers to follow, too.

If all goes as scheduled, next week we plan to have a press release at our bike shop with cyclists in their 3 Feet Please jersey's being videotaped cycling. Joining the group will be numerous cyclists in our community who have survived being struck by vehicles, recovered, and are cycling again.

RA

onekgguy
11-21-2008, 02:03 AM
"As a cyclist who spends a lot of time on the roads in traffic I rarely end a ride without a close call. "

Where does this guy ride? I question that statement. I bike between 6500 and 9000 miles a year but at the end of all those miles it's only a handful of drivers who didn't give me the room they should have. We're talking hundreds of thousands if not a million drivers who pass me on the road each year. I don't believe it's that bad out there. If it was he would've given up riding long ago.

I have no problem with educating drivers. I just don't think we need to exaggerate what really is to do it.

Who hear will echo what the guy selling the jerseys says; that you rarely end a ride without a close call?

Kevin g

BumbleBeeDave
11-21-2008, 06:59 AM
. . . it depends on what your definition of a "close call" is . . .

Does he give any further info to clarify that? It's difficult for me to even make a clear definition for my own use. Obviously, if somebody brushes my shoulder or obviously deliberately swerves toward me, then that's a close call in my book. Same if I'm passing the co-op market and some oldster just puts it in reverse and backs out without looking. But there's also that gray area where this guy might consider it a close call, but I don't. If you really think about it, there are probably many times you go out on the road in your car and go through what you might call a "close call." It's a very subjective definition.

I think this campaign is a good idea, but with all respect to everyone who's participating in the campaign, I still agree with someone else who said the drivers who REALLY need educating are not going to be paying attention to my jersey. They're already busy eating donuts, texting, picking their nose, gabbing into their cell phone, yelling at their kids, or aiming at me because they had a crappy day, feel powerless, and want to take it out on somebody. :eek:

BBD

Lifelover
11-21-2008, 07:33 AM
"As a cyclist who spends a lot of time on the roads in traffic I rarely end a ride without a close call. "

Where does this guy ride? I question that statement. I bike between 6500 and 9000 miles a year but at the end of all those miles it's only a handful of drivers who didn't give me the room they should have. We're talking hundreds of thousands if not a million drivers who pass me on the road each year. I don't believe it's that bad out there. If it was he would've given up riding long ago.

I have no problem with educating drivers. I just don't think we need to exaggerate what really is to do it.

Who hear will echo what the guy selling the jerseys says; that you rarely end a ride without a close call?

Kevin g

+1

BBD is probably correct. "Close call" means somehting different for all of us.

If I did have a bunch of "close calls", I'll be damned if I'd keep riding.

toaster
11-21-2008, 07:56 AM
It's the thought that counts, I guess.

I wouldn't wear the jersey, I'd feel like a target for all the motorists who already don't think I belong on the road.

It's the same reason I don't have bumper stickers, especially political or religious ones, because it puts me into a category in many people's mind rather than stay anonymous.

A better campaign, IMHO, would be to get the mainstream press, local newspaper and TV news, to write or broadcast an informative piece on the legislation without making it seem like there's some big conflict between motorists and bicyclists. When polarization of the issue is created by the media it seems to make matters worse.

The groups involved should raise money and produce some good PSA advertising (public service announcements).

RABikes2
11-21-2008, 08:43 AM
This thread was not started to turn into a debate or for questioning somebody else's definition of a "close call". It is certainly not anybody's place to indicate somebody is full of it because of a comment they made to "make a point". It's not my place either to question what a close call is to another cyclist when they say they encountered a "close call" during their ride. Be thankful, I am, all our rides don't include close calls or aggressive actions. But over 25 years of miles on the road, I've had a few close calls and nasty encounters and each time, is one too many. It scares the daylights out of me and I'm grateful to come home to my son. Will I give up cycling? Oh, be real.

-As BBD has stated, ask different cyclists and you'll receive different definitions of a "close call".
-Is anybody else doing anything about educating the public?
-Does it really matter how many close calls a rider experiences during years of riding? They're all bad experiences; period.
-Nobody is getting ugly or confrontational about motorists vs cyclists ... this is a simple way to get a message out that has primarily been ignored.
-All this campaign says is, "Cyclists are out here, please watch for us, and give us a little room. Thank you."
-This is also the approach to the media; awareness. It is definitely not the approach, "We're right, you're wrong."
-If a better way can be found to raise money to fund educating the public to possibly save the life of a cyclist, then let's see it in action.
-Joe plans to reinvest the money raised from the sale of items to produce public service announcements ... it costs money to do PSA.

Somebody is taking action to educate and bring awareness.

I made a choice not to ride in town because of the drivers; too many cars and because of the way roads are constructed (too narrow, no bike lanes, crud on the road, construction, distractions, folks looking for their store or road, etc.), motorists can get too close for my comfort level. It doesn't mean it can't or won't happen elsewhere, but I made that choice regarding "in town" riding. I don't know what experiences Joe has had or if the number of aggressive moments has been exaggerated. Does the number really matter as isn't one time more than too many? Isn't it more important that somebody is actually taking action instead of just pointing a finger saying drivers are doing this or doing that and just flapping their mouth? Cyclists ... those who have been hit, have lost close friends, have had close calls, or like many of us who ride with minimal issues, are coming forward to get the word "awareness" out.

It is very understandable not to want to wear the jersey on the road (no, I don't do bumper stickers either). I feel the same, especially since I ride many miles solo, don't like to bring attention to myself, nor want to become a target. Wearing the t-shirt can produce the same educational results as wearing the jersey and I'll probably wear either one of them to work occasionally.

Regarding the aggressive drivers who REALLY need educating, there is always going to be that group. As in everything in life (work, play, school, driving, government), there is always going to be the individuals who are angry, aggressive, not going to change their ways, and just be a-holes towards what is right and wrong. Does that mean because of the "few" jerks, the majority should keep doing nothing, and keep complaining like it's always been done? Complaining has not saved a life. As said before, if Joe's campaign for awareness saves ONE cyclist, then it has served a good purpose.

AWARENESS

My God ... you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. This is about an awareness campaign.

Just another voice.

RA

A year ago, three friends were out on a 35 mile ride. No traffic around (on the outskirts of town going towards rural areas), it was around 4:45 p.m., they had flashing lights on the bikes even though it was not dark, and mirrors on their helmets. They saw a car approaching from behind them. As he got closer, they made comments to each other about how fast the car seemed to be traveling and he wasn't moving over, but as quickly as those comments were made, the young EMT (who was obviously distracted) mowed them down from behind, one at a time, at 50 mph. His comment was, "he didn't see them". They all survived, all bikes were destroyed, and even though they are back cycling (two will only ride off-road now), they are still dealing with recovering from injuries they received. The driver got a slap on the wrist. They were just cyclists.

rcnute
11-21-2008, 02:26 PM
I thought the three foot rule was for strip clubs.

MarleyMon
11-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Talk about exposure - the jersey made it into Bike Snob NYC (http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/)

Lifelover
11-21-2008, 08:29 PM
This thread was not started to turn into a debate or for questioning somebody else's definition of a "close call". It is certainly not anybody's place to indicate somebody is full of it because of a comment they made to "make a point". It's not my place either to question what a close call is to another cyclist when they say they encountered a "close call" during their ride. Be thankful, I am, all our rides don't include close calls or aggressive actions. But over 25 years of miles on the road, I've had a few close calls and nasty encounters and each time, is one too many. It scares the daylights out of me and I'm grateful to come home to my son. Will I give up cycling? Oh, be real.

-As BBD has stated, ask different cyclists and you'll receive different definitions of a "close call".
-Is anybody else doing anything about educating the public?
-Does it really matter how many close calls a rider experiences during years of riding? They're all bad experiences; period.
-Nobody is getting ugly or confrontational about motorists vs cyclists ... this is a simple way to get a message out that has primarily been ignored.
-All this campaign says is, "Cyclists are out here, please watch for us, and give us a little room. Thank you."
-This is also the approach to the media; awareness. It is definitely not the approach, "We're right, you're wrong."
-If a better way can be found to raise money to fund educating the public to possibly save the life of a cyclist, then let's see it in action.
-Joe plans to reinvest the money raised from the sale of items to produce public service announcements ... it costs money to do PSA.

Somebody is taking action to educate and bring awareness.

I made a choice not to ride in town because of the drivers; too many cars and because of the way roads are constructed (too narrow, no bike lanes, crud on the road, construction, distractions, folks looking for their store or road, etc.), motorists can get too close for my comfort level. It doesn't mean it can't or won't happen elsewhere, but I made that choice regarding "in town" riding. I don't know what experiences Joe has had or if the number of aggressive moments has been exaggerated. Does the number really matter as isn't one time more than too many? Isn't it more important that somebody is actually taking action instead of just pointing a finger saying drivers are doing this or doing that and just flapping their mouth? Cyclists ... those who have been hit, have lost close friends, have had close calls, or like many of us who ride with minimal issues, are coming forward to get the word "awareness" out.

It is very understandable not to want to wear the jersey on the road (no, I don't do bumper stickers either). I feel the same, especially since I ride many miles solo, don't like to bring attention to myself, nor want to become a target. Wearing the t-shirt can produce the same educational results as wearing the jersey and I'll probably wear either one of them to work occasionally.

Regarding the aggressive drivers who REALLY need educating, there is always going to be that group. As in everything in life (work, play, school, driving, government), there is always going to be the individuals who are angry, aggressive, not going to change their ways, and just be a-holes towards what is right and wrong. Does that mean because of the "few" jerks, the majority should keep doing nothing, and keep complaining like it's always been done? Complaining has not saved a life. As said before, if Joe's campaign for awareness saves ONE cyclist, then it has served a good purpose.

AWARENESS

My God ... you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. This is about an awareness campaign.

Just another voice.

RA

A year ago, three friends were out on a 35 mile ride. No traffic around (on the outskirts of town going towards rural areas), it was around 4:45 p.m., they had flashing lights on the bikes even though it was not dark, and mirrors on their helmets. They saw a car approaching from behind them. As he got closer, they made comments to each other about how fast the car seemed to be traveling and he wasn't moving over, but as quickly as those comments were made, the young EMT (who was obviously distracted) mowed them down from behind, one at a time, at 50 mph. His comment was, "he didn't see them". They all survived, all bikes were destroyed, and even though they are back cycling (two will only ride off-road now), they are still dealing with recovering from injuries they received. The driver got a slap on the wrist. They were just cyclists.

Where is the line between discussing and debating?

I'm not at all opposed to what the guy is doing, but I don't think it will have any impact what so ever.

If I get hit by a car, the last thing I'm going to worry about is weather or not the driver gets a ticket for passing to close.

Will you pass cyclist by less than 3 feet if you are driving in a state without the law or if the cyclist is not wearing the jersey?

I truly don't think our safety is about awareness. Motorist either see us or they don't and there either give us a wide berth or they don't.

ATMO the law is meaningless. Allowing/encouraging our gov't representatives to pass unenforceable laws could very well hurt our cause.

The law would/did not help your 3 friends.

Michael Maddox
11-22-2008, 11:44 AM
The jersey is confrontational. That's the source of the opposition. Luckily, the real confrontational part is not the 3 Feet Please part on the back, but the "It's the LAW" bit hidden on the front.

It's akin to saying, "Hit me, I dare you." Even though you may be in the right, advertising just how right you are isn't always recommendable.

Still, props to Joe for trying.

A.L.Breguet
11-22-2008, 01:29 PM
We need tougher driving liscensing laws in every state. It is far too easy to get and keep a driving license.
Driving an automobile needs to be viewed for what it is, a privilege, not a right.
Then, perhaps, both drivers and cyclists would better understand the rules of the road.

BumbleBeeDave
11-23-2008, 10:12 AM
. . . at the PR campaign waged years ago by Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) would be informative.

IMHO, their success, what there has been of it, has resulted from successfully provoking a sense of outrage and (if I'm remembering correctly) outright embarrassment of public officials who would not do more to get DUI's off the road AND enforce the laws.

The problem with cyclists doesn't seem to me to be one of laws not being in place. It's in public officials not caring to enforce them. Why? Because no one had made them by shaming or suing them into doing it. You can wear your "3 feet please" t-shirt in the grocery store all you want, but unless one of the people you talk to there happens to be the mayor or the police chief, you're not going to be making a meaningful difference. Ritaann, I respect you tremendously, but I have to politely disagree with you on this one.

Your 3 friends get hit by a car? Get your local bike club together and picket the next county legislature or city council meeting. Make sure every media outlet in town knows about it before you do it. Cyclist killed? Bring his grieving wife or fatherless kid to the same meeting and make sure the media can find them for interviews. Have photos of the injured or deceased to hand out to the media so they can print or broadcast them and put a face on the victims. Then be clear about exactly what you want and when you want it. Then if the local pols don't get it, picket them AGAIN and go through the same routine. Then you keep doing it every time any cyclist is injured locally until you get results.

That takes time, it takes organization, and it takes persistence. But as I see it, that's what MADD did and that's what gets results. Public officials often won't do the right thing until you shame them into it, and most communities don't have a group of interested people who will expend the effort necessary to do that. Politicians depend on that. You do it once and you just give them a chance to grandstand about what a serious problem X, Y, or Z is. You really drive the point home when you show up the second or third time and make sure the public knows they haven't done a damn thing bout it.

BBD