PDA

View Full Version : Wheels: EA70s vs Open Pro/Ultegra

fourflys
11-11-2008, 06:22 PM
I've really been looking at the EA70s, but am intrigued by all the talk about Open Pros with Ultegra (or Dura Ace) hubs....

I know Performance has a good deal on the open pros and I have a store locally. Are the EA70s any better for the higher price?

I'll be using these on a Salsa Las Cruces that will be on the road mostly and hopefully in a couple of cross races next season. I may even bomb a few trails for cross practice...

What do you guys think? I have crappy Xero lite wheels off a stock Giant TCX now...

Thanks,
Chris

CNY rider
11-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Ultegra/OP's are like the Ford pick-up trucks of cycling.
They're not real fancy but they do their job well and are nearly indestructible with just the minimum of maintenance.
Good stuff. I have 2 pairs that see awful weather duty on my winter commuter and ride perfectly, with just an annual tune up after each winter season.
Never ridden the Eastons but you can't go wrong with Ultegra/OP's.

regularguy412
11-11-2008, 07:09 PM
They're not real fancy but they do their job well and are nearly indestructible with just the minimum of maintenance.
Good stuff. I have 2 pairs that see awful weather duty on my winter commuter and ride perfectly, with just an annual tune up after each winter season.

+1 on all this

I have a set from Colorado Cyclist. It's the 2nd wheel set I've purchased from them. The first set was Mavic Reflex Clinchers (yah, that long ago) on Ultegra hubs. The Reflexes had over 20,000 miles on them and the OP's replaced them. The OP's have about 5,000 miles on them. I've never had to touch either set with a spoke wrench. I'd still be riding the Reflexes, except the rear wheel developed an annoying 'tick' that I could never find. I decided to retire it before it could become a problem.

Mike in AR:beer:

SoCalSteve
11-11-2008, 08:37 PM

+ 1,000

I have 2 sets of OP on D/A hubs...Couldnt ask for a more reliable and extremely comfortable wheelset. Not "bling" at all, just good.

Good luck!

Steve

Fixed
11-11-2008, 08:40 PM
+1 on the mav op
imho
cheers

Tobias
11-11-2008, 10:12 PM
I have a set from Colorado Cyclist.+1
Open Pro / Ultegra is a great value.

Ken Robb
11-11-2008, 11:19 PM
+1
Open Pro / Ultegra is a great value.

and if they ever have a problem they can be fixed at almost any bike shop anywhere.

Der_Kruscher
11-12-2008, 12:08 AM
It has been awhile since I've had a set of Shimano hubs laced to OP's but I'd go with those over the EA70's based on my experiences with the Easton EA90SL's...not very happy with them.

14max
11-12-2008, 04:59 AM
I agree with everyone above on Mavic OP/Ultegra wheels. They are so reliable that I recently put a set on my Kirk because I know they'll last forever.

rex
11-12-2008, 06:29 AM
Can't go wrong with Ultegra/Open Pro's. Cost, reliability and performance of these wheels are tough to beat.

ewwhite
11-12-2008, 10:02 AM
EA70X on Chainlove... if you like tubulars :)

http://www.chainlove.com/?cmp_id=ODAL_IM7001&mv_pc=r207

fourflys
11-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Think I may have to go for a set of the OP/Ultegras, unless someone thinks the Dura Ace would be that much better for what I'll be doing...

bhungerford
11-12-2008, 01:46 PM
just can't go wrong with OP/Ultegra, and really not a huge benefit to get the DA, unless you want it to say DA, then you'd obviously have a huge performance advantage :p

seriously, they're great wheels, and with the right builder choosing the right spoke and pattern for you and your style riding they'll be perfect. you can get 'em pretty darn light, or built like a tank, whatever you want.

oh, and the price is always right

oh, and you can maintain them yourself

oh, and there's not much to maintain

oh, and those tools to maintain, you already own them, so good there too

get the idea? just good reliable wheels, that can be built to do pretty much whatever you need out of them. :D

kong79
11-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but what do you folks recommend spoke wise for a 200 pounder on the Mavics? 32 hole with 14/15 DT's or go with 15's? These would be an everyday training wheel.

SoCalSteve
11-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but what do you folks recommend spoke wise for a 200 pounder on the Mavics? 32 hole with 14/15 DT's or go with 15's? These would be an everyday training wheel.

I weigh more than you and I like 15's (straight gauge)...people may disagree with me, but I think they just feel better for "big" guys...and, I have never broken one.

Just my $.02,

Steve

fourflys
11-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Well, I think I decided...

I told my wife I wanted the following from BicycleWheelWarehouse:
Mavic Open Pro Black Rims (both 32 hole)
Ultegra Hubs
DT Revolution Spokes Black
DT Alloy Nipples Red

Claimed weight with the Revolution spokes is 1705 grams... Price with shipping is around $330.

Sound good?

John M
11-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Since you seem to be following the advice for going with reliability over bling, I like the durability of brass nipples. I have built with both and in the long run, have been more satisfied with brass.

Marcusaurelius
11-13-2008, 01:43 AM
As many have said already I don't think you could go wrong with open pro and ultegra, I would even suggest dura ace except the new ones will only fit a ten speed cassette.

I've had nothing but grief with alloy nipples. I much prefer brass and standard 14/15 guage butted spokes. The worst wheel I've even ridden was built with alloy nipples and 15 guage spokes.

oldguy00
11-13-2008, 06:47 AM
Since you seem to be following the advice for going with reliability over bling, I like the durability of brass nipples. I have built with both and in the long run, have been more satisfied with brass.

I think he could get away with just using brass nipples on the drive side rear, and alloy everywhere else.
I think the OP made the right choice, especially since the EA70's really don't look a whole lot different than 'hand built' wheels anyway, and probably aren't as durable.

14max
11-13-2008, 06:57 AM

Ultegra Hubs
DT Alloy Nipples Red

Claimed weight with the Revolution spokes is 1705 grams... Price with shipping is around $330.

Sound good?

I would stick with brass nipples. FWIW, I just ordered a set of Mavic OP/Ultegra wheels from BWW a couple of days ago. I went with black rims, silver Comp spokes, and brass nipples. RELIABLE. They'll have the shelf life of a Twinkie and I'll probably pass on before they do.

oldguy00
11-13-2008, 07:03 AM

Ultegra Hubs
DT Alloy Nipples Red

Sound good?

Just a suggestion, why not buy the parts yourself, along with a cheap truing stand, and Jobst Brandt's (sp?) 'The Bicycle Wheel' book and build them yourself? It is really easy. I've built about 4 sets myself by reading that book, all turned out great, never needed truing.

bhungerford
11-13-2008, 07:10 AM
Just a suggestion, why not buy the parts yourself, along with a cheap truing stand, and Jobst Brandt's (sp?) 'The Bicycle Wheel' book and build them yourself? It is really easy. I've built about 4 sets myself by reading that book, all turned out great, never needed truing.

+1

its very rewarding to build your own wheels, and gives you an excuse to get a truing stand! Although i'd probably recommend one of the higher end Park stands, just more heft and stable for building wheels with. A spoke tensioniomter and wheel dish tool would also be a good idea :D

dwightskin
11-13-2008, 08:15 AM

Ultegra Hubs
DT Alloy Nipples Red

Sound good?

You should look at the DT Swiss RR1.1 rim also. Very nice and similar to Mavic - at a tiny bit less weight.

R2D2
11-13-2008, 08:32 AM
I bought a pair of EA70X a while ago.
Plan to put on some Pave tubulars and run them.......
Look well made and price was right.

Pete Serotta
11-13-2008, 08:55 AM
I use the Open Pro 32 with CAMPY (ugly black record) hubs with brass nipples.

Not enough weight savings for the alloy (a glass of wine not taken the night before more than off sets it.....

fourflys
11-13-2008, 09:29 AM
So, I'm hearing go with brass nipples (it still cracks me up to talk about nipples...), how about the revolution spokes? It appears to save about 1/4 pound that is supposed to be at the rim end (rotating) of the spokes...
Chris

GregL
11-13-2008, 10:47 AM
how about the revolution spokes? It appears to save about 1/4 pound that is supposed to be at the rim end (rotating) of the spokes...
Chris

It all depends on your weight and how hard you are on wheels. If you are a lightweight who diligently avoids every pothole, the Revolution spokes will be acceptable. However, the Revolutions are not as robust as standard (2.0 or 2.0/1.8/2.0 DB) spokes. They also require a good wheel builder to ensure that they don't wind up when being tensioned. I recommend staying with a more standard spoke. The very minor weight savings for the Revolutions just aren't worth the potential loss of durability / reliability.

Regards,
Greg

fourflys
11-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Well, I'm around 185# right now and plan to use these wheels for all types of riding including some cross next season...

SoCalSteve
11-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Open Pro's over Dt RR 1.1
Brass Nipples over alloy
3 cross over 2 cross or radial
15 straight gauge over anything else
32 spoke over anything else
Ultegra or Dura Ace over anything else

This goes for front and rear wheel.

This will build you a very nice, strong, reliable, low maintenance wheelset for many, many miles and many, many years.

Good luck,

Steve

RPS
11-13-2008, 11:03 AM
So, I'm hearing go with brass nipples (it still cracks me up to talk about nipples...), how about the revolution spokes? It appears to save about 1/4 pound that is supposed to be at the rim end (rotating) of the spokes...
ChrisI have Revolution 14/17 spokes on the front and non-drive back, with straight 14 on drive side. However, I don't go off roading as you suggested you may do at times. I also weigh about 150 pounds and my bike is easy on wheels.

By the way, the spokes' rotating weight is not at the rim end, but somewhere between the rim and hub. Brass weighs a little more and is at the rim end, but I go with brass anyway. For me durability is key.

fourflys
11-13-2008, 07:14 PM
anyone else have an opinion on the spokes?

tv_vt
11-14-2008, 09:03 AM
revolutions up front, maybe use 14-15 double butted in back. I weigh a few pounds less than you. Have a pair with Revos front and rear. What I found is that after a few years, the Revos in back stretch a little and you get creaking sounds from the spokes rubbing where they cross, and possibly also at the rim. But they do give a very comfortable ride and I never broke a spoke. I actually tied and soldered the rear spokes to get another year or two out of the wheel before I had it rebuilt. The 14-15 wheel will be a little stiffer, and maybe feel a little more responsive. But a little heavier, too. Your call, depending on desire for stiffness vs comfort.

Second the brass nipple choice, although I think alloy up front would be fine.

Thom