PDA

View Full Version : Wheels

Kines
11-13-2004, 08:29 PM
OK now I got the "old" steel frame I was looking for. I found it at a bike show for $30, it's a Giordana in good shape, Columbus TSX tubing. I'm going to take my time building it up, and I've decided to make it Campy 10 speed with downtube friction shifters.

I'm not opposed to picking up a slightly used set of wheels, but I haven't come across a pair yet. So right now I'm looking at new wheels sets, and I want a somewhat classic look. So it looks like it comes down to Mavic Cosmos or Campy Record (or Chorus $50 less) with Mavic Open Pro, both are around $300.

Does anyone have any strong opinions to which is the better wheelset? Or any other ideas in this price range?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff N.
11-14-2004, 08:33 AM
Go with Record hubs laced to the Mavic OP's, 32 hole, 14/15/14, laced 3 cross, all silver. Thats as classic as it gets. And a bomb-proof set'o'hoops that'll last until the U.S. pulls out of Iraq. Jeff N.

M_A_Martin
11-14-2004, 09:17 AM
How old is the frame? You've done the whole "check the rear spacing" thing I suppose. Keep an eye on the 10 speed cog/chain/bike interference thing if the frame is a little older, you might need a little filing to make it perfect.

I love my campy/open pro wheels. The price is right and they're really bomb proof for me. I even throw 'cross tires on them and bomb around on washed out dirt roads and trails on my Kirk and they're still true.
I did find that they do have a break in period, in other words, they don't roll as well right out of the box as they do after 500 miles. *And* for some reason, I like the way my chorus hubs roll better than the record hubs. the Records seemed to take longer to break in (that could be a good thing...). But I don't have any really solid data on that comparative break in period.

You can see both the silver and the black here although both have silver spokes:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=2352&page=2&pp=15