PDA

View Full Version : Jacket for Mild Winters

jimp1234
11-11-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm thinking about getting another winter jacket, and for me living in NorCal that means temps in the 40 - 60 degree range. For the last few seasons my main jacket was an Assos ElementOne which has worked out pretty well. I'm inclined to get another one but was wondering if there are some other jackets made for the same temp range that folks like. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

-Jim

Ozz
11-11-2008, 06:02 PM
I just picked up one of these:

Etxe Ondo Abaraska Gore Windstopper Jacket (http://www.bicyclinghub.com/etabjabl1.html)

I have a couple other E-O jackets that are great....didn't need the jacket, just knew it was a good deal. ;)

mgm777
11-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Assos 851 would be perfect for those temps. Also, Craft has an elite Windstopper jacket which has windstopper all around. If you like the fit of Assos (very form fitting), then I recommend the 851. It provides more wind block than your element one jacket. I love mine and use it here in CO in temps from the 30s to the low 50s. In colder temps, I wear a thicker base layer. As a suggested alternative, why don't you simply wear a wind vest with your element one for the extra wind block? That combo should be just about perfect for your temp range, and a whole lot cheaper. I am considering a Fugujack for those rides, in the heart of winter, 35 deg and colder.

happycampyer
11-11-2008, 07:52 PM
For the lower end of that temperature range, I find the 851 to be perfect. In the 50's to 60's, I would stick with your ElementOne and maybe add a vest, as mgm777 suggested. The advantage of the 851 over the ElementOne + vest is that the 851 has some wind protection on the sleeves, less bulk/flapping at speed, and the Assos vest doesn't have pockets (very few do), so reaching for stuff in your jacket underneath is a bit of a PITA.

I have some Etxe Ondo jackets and they are very nice--great fabrics, etc.--but they don't fit me as well as the Assos stuff does, and the giant uni-pocket drives me a bit nuts. Maybe the newer pieces have separate pockets. The 4 pockets on the 851 are perfectly sized and placed, IMO.

chuckaw
11-11-2008, 09:34 PM
I have a Assos intermediate ls jersey with airblock panels that does a nice job on the milder days. When it gets colder I have a Nallini "Atik" jacket thats basically a bit thicker wind stopper shell and its one of my favorite pieces of clothing.

BicyclingHub
11-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Some of them have windstopper fronts while others have just Thermolite. Thermolite is the thickest nicest fleece on the market. http://www.bicyclinghub.com/etonje.html. Don't forget that a nice vest is about one of the most perfect articles for mild winter riding.