PDA

View Full Version : Xtracycle/Big Dummy vs. Kona Ute?

hansolo758
11-11-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm thinking about being as car-free as I possibly can. Anybody have experience with an Xtracycle Free Radical Kit? Or the Surly Big Dummy? Or a Kona Ute?

I get that Xtracycle has all these accessories that work off the basic kit and that's its advantage over a Kona Ute. Frankly, what I need is some carrying capacity for groceries (probably 4 panniers) and books and some minor shopping. The largest thing I'd ever want to transport is my road bike -- it'd be kinda cool to use the transport bike to carry my road bike to an event or to the bike store. I don't need to carry a ladder or a guitar or a boat; God knows I don't need the blender accessory.

So, in favor of the Xtracycle is the adaptability, the number of available accessories (except for the blender) and its ability to carry a large load (in case I ever do want to carry a ladder). It would carry loads lower than the Kona and therefore might be more stable.

Against it is that I don't know if any of my current old bikes (which use cantis) will work with it. Xtracycle specifically says your bike must use v-brakes or discs. I haven't bought into either. The Surly Big Dummy is kind of expensive. Is the Xtracycle-equipped bike too long to fit into a Toyota Sienna? The Kona would ( I know, I know, the notion of transporting your transport bike seems a little funny but bear with me). The Kona is also cheaper than a Big Dummy and cheaper than a new bike with an Xtracycle kit. It would also be an integrated unit and perhaps might work better than a bolt-on extra.

What do the cognoscenti think? Thanks in advance.

woolly
11-11-2008, 02:14 PM
God knows I don't need the blender accessory.

THAT's just crazy talk. Who doesn't need that?

I think any of your choices would be good. I have a Big Dummy, and really like the versatility & modularity of the Xtracycle gear. Plus, they seem to be a company that's dedicated to this type of stuff for the long haul (no pun intended). I'm still a fan of Kona stuff - typically interesting bikes for a good value. But in this situation, if money's an object, I'd find a good-condition old-school rigid MTB & slap a Free Radical on it. But that's just me.

ss-jimbo
11-11-2008, 03:47 PM
It's really no big deal to slap V-brakes on an old mtb. The only key is that you need to change both the brakes AND the levers. A decent set from Avid goes for $50 or so on the bay, and that includes both brakes and levers. I'd get the xtracycle add-on, I'm all about using what you've got, rather than getting a new bike that costs more and will do the same thing.

gregclimbs
11-11-2008, 08:53 PM
good question... I am just getting started building a BD and (for me) I am going to go all out on it as I hope it stays in the stable a LONG time and will see both utilitarian usage (grocery getting, kid getting, errand getting) as well as camping trips and the like.

we looked at the kona ute at interbike and really liked it, but for me, the culture and support of the xtracycle community really seals the deal for me.

While I might not haul a load of 4x6's on one, I have friends who have in their first weekend of having it.

And many of the other uses of the xtracycle are intriguing and nice to see others embracing it.

I went bd instead of xtracycle since 1) I didn't have a donor and 2) I will be hauling a 3yo and 5yo with it. And most who have moved from xtracycle to bd have mentioned that they thought it was worth it long term for the improved stiffness, something I definately would want with the kids back there...

hth...

g

staggerwing
11-11-2008, 09:38 PM
At the cheap end of the spectrum, a used Burley kids trailer off of Craigslist, clipped onto your current rig, as needed, will do everything you mentioned.

If it will be an additional rig, I like the idea of a Big Dummy with either a Shimano Nexus 8 or SRAM iMotion 9 driveline. I have one of the latter hubs on an IRO Rob Roy utility bike. While not as silky smooth as a nicely dialed derailer bike, its nice to pull up to a light in almost any gear, and dial back to whatever you need for a getaway, while stopped. With a 340% range, with a nice even ratio spacings, it can crawl steep hills, or move along at a good clip. I keep it at the lab for whatever errands I need to run during the day.

If you want pre-built, perhaps the Kona makes more sense. The original XtraCycle would come in last for me. I've seen some reports that the combo rig is a bit more flexible than the pre-built solutions.

If you want to dig in deep, go over to "forums.mtbr.com" and look for posts by SelfPropelledDevo. He has both a Pugsley and a BD, as well as a custom rig, and no automobile. Curious character.