PDA

View Full Version : CSI conversion to single speed advice desired

chakatrain
11-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Howdy all,

I'm thinking of having some winter project fun with my '96 CSI I bought from DarrenCT last year into a single speed. I've never done this before and have no clue about what I should consider as I start to plan out the conversion.

i'd love to tap the collective wisdom of the forum to help fill in my knowledge gaps (er...gaping holes) so I don't screw it up too badly.

Here's something about me:
* Live in San Francisco
* Want to use it to cruise around town, cafe hopping, doing errands, pub hoping and the occasional museum run. Lots of flats and lots of smallish hills.
* Looking to have front and rear brakes (at least at first)
* Looking to have a flip/flop type hub so I can alternate between fixed and freewheel
* Am quite interested in the White Industries eccentric ENO hub
* Looking to have some fun learning about single speeds but not looking to bling it out, at least at first.

Tell me your stories!

Thanks in advance!

Dekonick
11-10-2008, 10:59 PM
ENO hub rocks.

93legendti
11-10-2008, 11:14 PM
ENO hub rocks.
Sure does. I have one on my CSi and another on my Hors Cross.

markie
11-10-2008, 11:27 PM
What dropouts does your frame have?

chakatrain
11-11-2008, 12:09 AM
The '96 CSI is a 55L, stock, I believe, with vertical looking dropouts.

chakatrain
11-11-2008, 12:10 AM
@ 93Legendti: any issues setting up the CSI with the ENO? Did you need to use long reach brakes in the back (assuming you have a rear brake, that is)? What did you use?

The CSI currently is set up with '96 campy chorus stuff which actually still works quite well. I'd like to keep the brakes on, if I can, but if I can't...would like to know what worked for you.

Thanks!

93legendti
11-11-2008, 06:42 AM
@ 93Legendti: any issues setting up the CSI with the ENO? Did you need to use long reach brakes in the back (assuming you have a rear brake, that is)? What did you use?

The CSI currently is set up with '96 campy chorus stuff which actually still works quite well. I'd like to keep the brakes on, if I can, but if I can't...would like to know what worked for you.

Thanks!
I have Zero Gravity brakes on my CSi. The LBS set it up. The chainstay length necessitated a half link, but that was the only issue they reported to me.

Ken Robb
11-11-2008, 09:31 AM
It might be smart to pick a gear combo on your derailers that you think might be appropriate for a single speed and ride it without shifting for a few days to see how you like it. You can vary your selection to see what combo is best for you. How many times do you have to alter your route to avoid hills you can't climb, etc. I know several people who rarely ride their single speeds once the novelty wore off. This way you won't spend $$ on the wrong stuff.

BTW, Rivendell sold their Quickbeam single speeds with a flip/flop rear hub so a rider has 2 choices along on a ride.

Bruce K
11-11-2008, 09:41 AM
That's a close approximation but you'd be surprised how much easier it is to climb without derailleurs and the added resistance of the geared drivetrain.

I would ask around the LBS to find some messenger types and see what gearing they run.

I suspect the ratio will be similar to a single speed cyclocross set-up with the 2:1 range to enable them to climb the hills. This will limit top speed and cruising speed but ease the strain of climbing.

And I'll add another vote for the ENO rear hub. But I will add that you will need to be careful about the rear brake bridge clearance and may have to use a half-link to get your chain length correct so it doesn't bring the tire up too high. (I had to do this and it is no big deal).

Last for me, ENJOY. Single speeds are fun.

BK

93legendti
11-11-2008, 10:41 AM
That's a close approximation but you'd be surprised how much easier it is to climb without derailleurs and the added resistance of the geared drivetrain.
I would ask around the LBS to find some messenger types and see what gearing they run.

I suspect the ratio will be similar to a single speed cyclocross set-up with the 2:1 range to enable them to climb the hills. This will limit top speed and cruising speed but ease the strain of climbing.

And I'll add another vote for the ENO rear hub. But I will add that you will need to be careful about the rear brake bridge clearance and may have to use a half-link to get your chain length correct so it doesn't bring the tire up too high. (I had to do this and it is no big deal).

Last for me, ENJOY. Single speeds are fun.

BK
Bruce, I had the same pleasant surprise. I think a straight chainline and the decreased friction from removal of derailleurs and pulleys really makes a difference.

Fixed
11-11-2008, 11:03 AM
one speed
more is not always better
imho
cheers

chakatrain
11-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Many thanks for the great advice so far.

Sounds like the ENO eccentric hub works nicely. I'll keep an eye on the rear brake clearance and chain length (which is easy enough to manipulate).

Am probably going to take the '96 Chorus brifters off the Nitto Noodle handlebar and replace with just a classic brake lever. I see that Cane Creek makes a nicely shaped brake level. Any recommendations there?

Thanks!

SoCalSteve
11-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Many thanks for the great advice so far.

Sounds like the ENO eccentric hub works nicely. I'll keep an eye on the rear brake clearance and chain length (which is easy enough to manipulate).

Am probably going to take the '96 Chorus brifters off the Nitto Noodle handlebar and replace with just a classic brake lever. I see that Cane Creek makes a nicely shaped brake level. Any recommendations there?

Thanks!

Or, you can just use the "brifters" as brake levers...

Just a thought (if you like the shape and dont want to spend extra $$$ for new levers).

Steve

93legendti
11-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Or, you can just use the "brifters" as brake levers...

Just a thought (if you like the shape and dont want to spend extra $$$ for new levers).

Steve

That's what I did. I prefer the shape/feel (not to mention reach) of Shimano 10 brifters.

Bruce K
11-11-2008, 04:39 PM
The Cane Creeks are good for small hands. Short and kind of beefy.

Otherwise go with the Shimano brake levers a little more room for medium and larger hands.

I have both and almost prefer the Shimanos (I need to make a slight height adjutment on the curved part of the bars with the CC's to be sure).

BK

PaMtbRider
11-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Bruce, I had the same pleasant surprise. I think a straight chainline and the decreased friction from removal of derailleurs and pulleys really makes a difference.
This is really good to hear. I have ridden my geared bike around on the last couple of rides in one gear just to get the feel for it and see if I would like it. I liked it enough to order a Salsa Casseroll. Hopefully it will pedal even easier than I am expecting.