PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong vs. Simeoni

BumbleBeeDave
11-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Not quite sure what to think of this. Personally, I think there's been just a bit too much sudden misfortune for too many people who have p*ssed off Lance. Andreu and his dismissal from Toyota-United comes to mind. I think if Lance wanted to keep Simeoni from finding a decent team, he knows an awful lot of people and has an awful lot of influence and could do it.

BBD

=========================

Simeoni's statement . . .

http://www.velonews.com/article/84930

Armstrong's rebuttal in Velo News . . .

http://www.velonews.com/article/84947/armstrong-responds-to-simeoni

The photo seems to say a lot. Lance looks pretty mad to just be "following a wheel" . . .

BBD

johnnymossville
11-10-2008, 09:41 AM
I feel like I'm watching the WWE Smackdown every time I see more Lance news these days. Hard to believe Simeoni can't find a decent team for 2009. It does make you wonder doesn't it?

Viper
11-10-2008, 09:54 AM
“His attitude and his words made me fall into depression" said Simenoi. Gee Filippo, why not finish the sentence with nanny, nanny poopsi or some other childish remark? Lance's attitude and his words, they made you sad? THIS is why you lost, lose and will continue to lose. Men's pro-cycling is part 80's, nighttime soap opera ala Dallas or Dynasty and Lance is JR Ewing, one of the few cats who can at least pretend to man-up.

Arnold Schwarzenegger came out of retirement, last minute, in 1980 to win the Mr. Olympia. The competition cried. Michael Jordan did it too, big deal, get over it Filippo. If you have something to say, say it while you are standing on the podium and Lance isn't, be a man!

Filippo, I admire your courage to tell the truth, though you only had the courage to do so under oath, in court, not of your own free will, but that said, shut up and bicycle, or not, but stop whining. You blame Lance for too much, demasiado, demagogia, get over it pal. In 2004 Lance showed you the deal, you were good, he was better.

“His attitude and his words made me fall into depression. I had confessed that I had doped when I followed the treatment of Dr. Ferrari in the 1990s. I paid my price for confessing,” he said. “Later, (Armstrong) called me a liar and we ended up in the courts. In 2004, I wanted to win a stage at the Tour. I escaped in stage 18 with other cyclists, but he personally took it upon himself to neutralize the escape. It was a threat to me. A lot of my compatriots insulted me when I returned to the peloton. They told me I was an embarrassment and that I dirtied the name of the peloton and spoiled the plate that I had eaten from all of my life.”

I think Lance has placed himself in a position where he must dominate. If his comeback in 2009 falters and he doesn't podium, then he'll earn the whispers, rumor of, "See, I told ya he was dirty all those years, he can't compete while clean." I think Lance is going to out-train, out-smart and out-do the peleton in 2009.

johnnymossville
11-10-2008, 10:00 AM
After reading A Dog in a Hat, by Joe Parkin this weekend there's not much left to wonder about when it comes to how things roll in the european peloton.

Steelhead
11-10-2008, 10:43 AM
After reading A Dog in a Hat, by Joe Parkin this weekend there's not much left to wonder about when it comes to how things roll in the european peloton.

I finished that book a fwe weeks ago - it is chilling to imagine being in that environment. I always thought of doping as blood boosters and blood doping, but some of these guys surely come out of their careers as full on addicts, shooting speed, etc..

Lifelover
11-10-2008, 01:28 PM
“His attitude and his words made me fall into depression" said Simenoi. Gee Filippo, why not finish the sentence with nanny, nanny poopsi or some other childish remark? Lance's attitude and his words, they made you sad? THIS is why you lost, lose and will continue to lose. Men's pro-cycling is part 80's, nighttime soap opera ala Dallas or Dynasty and Lance is JR Ewing, one of the few cats who can at least pretend to man-up.

Arnold Schwarzenegger came out of retirement, last minute, in 1980 to win the Mr. Olympia. The competition cried. Michael Jordan did it too, big deal, get over it Filippo. If you have something to say, say it while you are standing on the podium and Lance isn't, be a man!

Filippo, I admire your courage to tell the truth, though you only had the courage to do so under oath, in court, not of your own free will, but that said, shut up and bicycle, or not, but stop whining. You blame Lance for too much, demasiado, demagogia, get over it pal. In 2004 Lance showed you the deal, you were good, he was better.

“His attitude and his words made me fall into depression. I had confessed that I had doped when I followed the treatment of Dr. Ferrari in the 1990s. I paid my price for confessing,” he said. “Later, (Armstrong) called me a liar and we ended up in the courts. In 2004, I wanted to win a stage at the Tour. I escaped in stage 18 with other cyclists, but he personally took it upon himself to neutralize the escape. It was a threat to me. A lot of my compatriots insulted me when I returned to the peloton. They told me I was an embarrassment and that I dirtied the name of the peloton and spoiled the plate that I had eaten from all of my life.”

I think Lance has placed himself in a position where he must dominate. If his comeback in 2009 falters and he doesn't podium, then he'll earn the whispers, rumor of, "See, I told ya he was dirty all those years, he can't compete while clean." I think Lance is going to out-train, out-smart and out-do the peleton in 2009.

+1

How can I agree so strongly with you are so many things and than be amazed by your misunderstanding of Nucs and Pit Bulls?

Lifelover
11-10-2008, 01:32 PM
The difference of opinions on this issue has always been something that I don't understand.

LA B-slapped Simeoni on the 2004 tour. I always thought a good B-slap is SOP in mens professional sports.

I would have less respect for LA had he not "Stayed on his wheel".

Viper
11-10-2008, 01:50 PM
+1

How can I agree so strongly with you are so many things and than be amazed by your misunderstanding of Nucs and Pit Bulls?

I spend a great deal of my time attempting to generate a new signature for you. The election is over and it's time I tackle mouth breathers in other arenas. I haven't done a great job conjuring up some wit, a quip worthy of a signature lately, frankly I've been distracted by Jack Bruck's bikes. I'll watch some early 80's Michael Keaton and Michael J. Fox movies, Princess Bride, throw in some T.S. Eliot and inhale some eucalyptus in the sauna at the gym and maybe I'll have a new sig for you soon.

FTR, I am pro-nuke, how else will the Millenium Falcon fly and pit bulls are great watch dogs; I pet them with my left hand while my right holds a Spyderco. Nice doggie.

Note to Filippo Simeoni, to the victor go the spoils, everyone else gets iocane powder.

William
11-10-2008, 02:57 PM
"Hooper drives the boat Chief."

William

gt6267a
11-10-2008, 03:01 PM
i am not left-handed.

cadence90
11-10-2008, 03:56 PM
.... ..

johnnymossville
11-10-2008, 04:25 PM
I thought LA was a complete a-hole to Simeoni in 2004...

+100

Viper
11-10-2008, 04:31 PM
+100

But Simeoni is a big boy, he could've walked right up to LA and knocked his teeth out or smacked down using the teeth of his cassette. He did neither. Now he cries/whines about it and in Italian it's even more dramatic :) . Filippo didn't learn how things work on the playground as a kid.

Erik.Lazdins
11-10-2008, 04:46 PM
I hope Simeoni finds a ride for the Giro
I hope Lance does ride the Giro

I want to see them mix it up - let the race sort this out - the smack is part of the spectacle - while not necessarily honorable in a way you want your kids to emulate - it exists and makes for yet another reason to watch bike racing.

I'm looking forward to seeing the thing unfold on Versus live 3x daily - just like the 2002 Giro when OLN covered all 3 Grand Tours and most of the classics LIVE.

Versus ran the cyclism adds -which I thought were cheesy
then they ran take back the tour - which was cheesier still
What will the ad-trailers focus on this year?

Meanwhile - lets hope this injects some funds into developing and promoting the sport here and abroad.

Thanks for reading,
E

johnnymossville
11-10-2008, 05:03 PM
But Simeoni is a big boy,..

Simeoni races bicycles. Saying something or doing something that would out most of the peloton including all the teams owners is career ending. It's not like he has much of a career to fall back on. The real reason he's pissed is that he got caught and the rest of those idiots in the peloton didn't. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Either way it doesn't matter, he's a cheater. It's exactly like Sammy The Bull ratting out Gotti.

Oh and punching a guy in public could land you in jail most places.

Viper
11-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Oh and punching a guy in public could land you in jail most places.

Tactfully, it would need to be done so that it lands one guy in the dentist chair. Think Tusken Raider, not Han Solo-like. I am amazed at the mind control LA has over these riders. I mean you have choices if you're Simeoni, you a). establish a line in the sand w/Lance via standing up to him physically or b). you tactfully and verbally use wit to crush him in the media or c). you train like a madman and beat him uphill, downhill and to the finish line, but d). crying and whining about it...is just embarrassing.

johnnymossville
11-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Tactfully, it would need to be done so that it lands one guy in the dentist chair. Think Tusken Raider, not Han Solo-like. I am amazed at the mind control LA has over these riders. I mean you have choices if you're Simeoni, you a). establish a line in the sand w/Lance via standing up to him physically or b). you tactfully and verbally use wit to crush him in the media or c). you train like a madman and beat him uphill, downhill and to the finish line, but d). crying and whining about it...is just embarrassing.

I guess I'm just feeling charitable today. I watched "Overcoming" that CSC documentary and those riders are all a bunch whining crybabies. I have no idea how Bjarne Riis puts up with them. Oh, except Jens Voigt, he NEVER complains.

Louis
11-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Can someone please explain to me why I should care about this soap opera?

Cycling's version of Paris Hilton & co.

johnnymossville
11-10-2008, 05:23 PM
oh come on it's all in good fun, a nice diversion from things that really matter.

Louis
11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
IMO it makes the participants (the cyclists that is, not the posters here, but I suppose that's debatable :p ) out to be to even bigger idiots than they already are and it's demeaning to the sport. (OK maybe I just happen to be in a serious mood.)

Viper
11-10-2008, 05:32 PM
I guess I'm just feeling charitable today. I watched "Overcoming" that CSC documentary and those riders are all a bunch whining crybabies. I have no idea how Bjarne Riis puts up with them. Oh, except Jens Voigt, he NEVER complains.

:beer:

Ti Designs
11-10-2008, 07:08 PM

It's either this crap or ride yer bike...

BumbleBeeDave
11-10-2008, 07:31 PM
I thought LA was a complete a-hole to Simeoni in 2004.

That said, Simeoni's comments now do come off as desperate and whining. Earn your way on to a team, caro Pippo.

That said, all of Lance's responses to the reactions to his comeback (re: French press, Gerdemann, Simeoni, Contador, etc.) indicate to me the true nature of his hypocrisy: his replies show me that he's riding again much more out of ego, and not so much to serve the CAUSE, which would be much better served if he would actually just stfu and go work 100% on it.

LA riding in '09 to "draw attention to cancer" isn't/won't be about that at all: it will ONLY be about his race results; podiums or not; "can it [the self-anointed one's comeback] work?"; newspaper/magazine covers; Serotta Forum stage-by stage results discussions; etc.

LA:
“First off, I did not chase Simeoni down,” Armstrong said. “I was simply following his wheel. That is the truth of the matter. I never bridged across to Simeoni. He was in front of me, people were attacking, he accelerated, and I stayed on the wheel."

[I was] “defending the interests of the peloton.”

The "interests" of the peleton needed to be "defended" personally by the Maillot Jaune???
What "interests"?
"Defended" against what, exactly: the toxic rubber wearing off of Simeoni's wheels?
The miniscule contaminated strands of hair flying off his helmet?
The contagious sweat trail he was laying down on the road? :rolleyes:

What a liar.
He claims footage shows he never acrtually bridged the gap, and that his "zip the lips" gesture had nothing to do with LA/FS/Ferrari.
Really??? Chasing down a non-contender on a meaningless (to LA) stage?
Even Phil and Paul were shocked, said it was unprecedented.

What a complete, classless, egomaniacial bore.
Always has been, always will be.

You seem to have nailed my feelings on almost the whole thing. Both these guys are just making things worse for a sport that already has enough image problem and is already in the news for all the wrong reasons.

Simeoni DOES come cross as pretty whiney, but I'm not entirely sure what he's supposed to do at age 37 to earn his way onto a team beyond winning the Italian national championship. Of course, I'm not familiar with the play-by-play on this year's race. If his winning was an undeniable fluke--big crash in the sprint and he got through by sheer luck or something like that--then I can see why any savvy Italian DS wouldn't want to hire him.

OTOH, I think Lance needs some REALLY serious PR help. He just seems to have this habit of taking opportunities to look magnanimous and totally twisting them around to simply confirm his image as an arrogant turd to cycling cognoscenti. The chip on his shoulder is just so huge and so finely balanced that it falls off at the slightest breeze and away runs his mouth. He should have said nothing more here than, "It's unfortunate he feels that way" and move on. Period. He seems to tell me much more about himself by responding this way than he tells me about Simeoni. Lance is his own worst enemy whenever he opens his mouth. He presents this finely crafted public image, then totally blows it as soon as someone asks anything other than a softball question. This is surprising to me, since he obviously has huge talent for reading the nuances of strategy in a cycling race, yet seems to have none for reading the nuances of dealing with the media. You'd think he would have learned by now.

BBD

Lifelover
11-10-2008, 07:44 PM
OTOH, I think Lance needs some REALLY serious PR help. He just seems to have this habit of taking opportunities to look magnanimous and totally twisting them around to simply confirm his image as an arrogant turd to cycling cognoscenti. The chip on his shoulder is just so huge and so finely balanced that it falls off at the slightest breeze and away runs his mouth. He should have said nothing more here than, "It's unfortunate he feels that way" and move on. Period. He seems to tell me much more about himself by responding this way than he tells me about Simeoni. Lance is his own worst enemy whenever he opens his mouth. He presents this finely crafted public image, then totally blows it as soon as someone asks anything other than a softball question. This is surprising to me, since he obviously has huge talent for reading the nuances of strategy in a cycling race, yet seems to have none for reading the nuances of dealing with the media. You'd think he would have learned by now.

BBD

I think LA has gotten to be such a big figure that peoples opinions of him and what he does are as polarized as Democrats and Republicans.

I could not agree any less with the above. I think Lance has earned the right to have and state his opinion in regards to stuff like this and I admire him for saying what he says.

I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, I just find it interesting that we can be so opposed in our opinions.

BumbleBeeDave
11-10-2008, 08:02 PM
. . . to make himself look incredibly classy in contrast to Simeoni's lack of same. He did not take advantage of it. Not good for someone who has set himself up as the voice of the LAF. He needs to look classy. You attract more bees--and donations--with honey than you do with vinegar. Instead he climbed right down in the gutter with his critic in a way that made it look like he'd completely forgotten that that whole sorry episode in the '04 tour was captured live for the world to see. He was just following Simeoni's wheel?!? Come ON! . . .

Of course he's entitled to his own opinion. He just needs to rein them in when in public situations. If he doesn't have any political aspirations he will not get very far handling himself in public and with the press like this.

But I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, either. I agree that Lance has become so polarizing that it's hard to objectively discuss anything he does any more.

BBD

cadence90
11-10-2008, 08:59 PM
.... ..

Charles M
11-11-2008, 07:41 AM

Cycling's version of Paris Hilton & co.

So you can feel superior to the rest of us?

:D

As for Lance, on one hand I would have at people that tried to talk ***** about me too. Same way, with a scowl and vengance.

On the other hand, he's blown a couple of chances to take the high road. The other was with Christoph Bassons...

I think both situations could have been handled better and I don't think in either situation I would have found a better way if I were in his shoes...

Gothard
11-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Lance did not arrive where he is by being a retiring daisy.
Arrogance and hard-headed-ness are paramount in his way of functionning. Leave it or love it. That said, anyone knowing the guy knew he would react as he did.

Simeoni should deploy as much energy getting results as he does whining. Or getting funds for cancer foundations.

BumbleBeeDave
11-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Lance did not arrive where he is by being a retiring daisy.
Arrogance and hard-headed-ness are paramount in his way of functionning. Leave it or love it. That said, anyone knowing the guy knew he would react as he did.

Simeoni should deploy as much energy getting results as he does whining. Or getting funds for cancer foundations.

. . . had better give up any dreams he has of going into politics, because he would self-destruct his image pretty quick.

BBD

Wayne77
11-11-2008, 02:09 PM
. . . had better give up any dreams he has of going into politics, because he would self-destruct his image pretty quick.

BBD

The "best" politicians can be complete a-holes and still manage to put a spin on it. Politics may be right up his alley..The last person I'd look to for civility and taking the high road would be a politician. Simeoni got his lunch eaten by the politics of the peloton and then went crying to the lunch lady, while Lance apparently knows how to get people behind him (physically, mentally and/or figuratively..yes, pun intended) Not saying this necessarily qualifies him or disqualifies him..but just sayin...

cadence90
11-11-2008, 03:36 PM
.... ..

BumbleBeeDave
11-11-2008, 06:58 PM
To those who would diss Simeoni, however, let's remember this: while he has never been a really remarkable cyclist, he has done some memorable (and I think commendable) things:
1. In his victory on Stage 18 of the 2001 Vuelta, on September 27, Simeoni got off his bike 2 meters before the line, lifted his bike over his head, kissed it and then kissed the sky, and then walked across the line.

http://www.bikenews.it/2001/vuelta/simeoni%20-vuelta.jpg

His statement afterwards:
"For years I have thought about what I would do in a moment as important as this, a moment which is worth a career.
Cycling is my job, joy and passion, my happiness and pain.
I wanted to dedicate my victory to the victims of New York and to the many young people who are entering this sport which, for me, is the most beautiful in the world".
Pretty classy, imho....

2. He did testify in the Ferrari case and admitted his guilt, something, as Viper pointed out, many other riders never have done, in or out of court.
3. In 2003 he was called a "liar" by LA against whom he then filed a defamation suit (which was then dropped after much ado in 2006).
However, in filing his suit (for damages of €100,000) Simeoni announced that he would give any money awarded him to charity.
4. After the 2004 TdF Stage 18 brouhaha, which LA said Simeoni "did not deserve" to win, on Stage 20 to the Champs, with LA already the winner, Simeoni continuously attacked again, but was reeled in every time by Armstrong's team.
Pretty classless, and an utter display of lack of grace, imho....

BBD: I'll join your club, as long as I don't have to wear the....oh, nevermind.

. . . and it makes me see him in a different light. Also, Simeoni's opinion has either changed in the last few weeks, or he has been misquoted somewhere. Here's a statement attributed to him on page 50 of this month's CycleSport in the story about reaction's to Lances' comeback . . .

"His announcement surprised me. If it's to help the fight against cancer that's a very noble gesture but personally I don't think a champion should ever make a comeback once they've retired.
I'm very sorry for what happened between us. I never accused him of anything and only told the truth during the Dr. Ferrari trial but he took it out on me after listening to what other people told him.
Hopefully I'm going to race for one last season in 2009, just like Lance, and it'd be great to ride against him. I'd actually go up to him and shake his hand but I don't know if he'd like it."

It looks like something happened in the past few weeks to change Simeoni's opinion, given that with press production lead times, the above statement must have been made only a few days after Lance announced his return to pro cycling.

BBD

cadence90
11-11-2008, 09:07 PM
.... ..

johnnymossville
11-11-2008, 09:20 PM
He doesn't sound whiney or upset at all in that interview to me. He's just saying what many are thinking.

cadence90
11-11-2008, 09:21 PM
.... ..

Viper
11-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Cadence, this whole story is a non-story and I'm sorry to say, it's as dramatic as an Italian soccer team player in a faux-contact fall. On one hand you offer that American maganzines are abc/xyz, but dude, Simeoni is being interviewed by Giorgio Viberti for La Stampa...too many vowels there to imagine the story will contain fair and balanced perspectives atmo. You can't say, "I don't really put much stock in US or pro-Lance magazines trying to sell more issues by creating/furthering/sponsoring controversy, so I looked for the original interview on the Italian search engine Virgilio, and found it in the respected newspaper La Stampa" and not generate some doubt in the vowel-laden story. Seriously, controversy? Simeoni's mouth + Italian print = :rolleyes:

Secondly, your own Italian-ness offer a bias, an opinion laced with garlic and some olive oil. Not a bad thing, but somewhat true. :)

Lastly, Simeoni only appears to be more of a weasel the more I read his quotes, his words which go further than his cycling career against Lance. One one hand he offers, when asked the question, do you think Lance doped in the TdF, "No. He has the physique of an extraterrestrial and he needed to reach top form for only 20 days each year. It is plausible that he won 7 Tours without doping" but then the Italian speaks out of the other side of his mouth with, "On the one hand, it (Lance's comeback) is to be admired, on the other hand it is questionable...also somehow pathetic...the image of Armstrong has been smeared by many allegations of doping, he needs to clean it up."

Please. Mr. Simeoni is indeed yellow, whereas Lance wears yellow and how so? When asked why there was friction for him at the 2004 Tour de France, he offers, "I don't know. I never said anything against him (Armstrong) nor against any other cyclist." Dah doy Mr. Simeoni, how about there was friction for you at le Tour cause you were a doper! You were caught cheating! You disgraced your sport and yourself! You were doping since 1993, you are the rodent! Where is your spine, your sense of reality as you blame everyone else but yourself?

Nowhere in the article does Filippo Simeoni offer truth...it's simply filled with weak insults towards Lance and poor Simeoni can't acknowledge what is obvious, the facts: he doped, cheated, got caught, that he minced words with Lance Armstrong who called him a "liar", that Simeoni then sued Armstrong for defamation of character :rolleyes: and while suing Lance, Simeoni tried to win a stage of a bike race, but Lance beat him to the finish line, where upon Italian authorities asked the Italian National Drug Squad (NAS) to investigate the incident in order to establish whether Armstrong's actions were in fact intimidating a witness of the then-ongoing trial.

WOW. I don't know if Simeoni needs a testosterone patch or a book of How to be a Man by Chuck Norris?

Cliffnotes:

Simeoni doped.
Simeoni cheated.
Simeoni lied.
His opinion is meaningless.
Lance tells him he's a liar.
Simeoni cries to his mommy and lawyer in 2003.
Simeoni sues Lance.
During the 2004 TdF Lance takes stage 18.
Simeoni cries to Italian officials that Lance was mean to him, taking stage 18.
Now?
Simeoni still won't shut up and he still blames blames blames Lance:

"I was ashamed, my parents were ashamed and I was on the brink of depression. I was scared of everyone, what they would say. But the thing that did me the most damage was the attitude of Armstrong," added Simeoni, referring to Armstrong's appearance on Italian television. Simeoni said he admires Armstrong, and would never accuse him of anything personally, but wants "him to publicly recognise his mistake." Lance needs to recognize his mistake? LOL, Mr. Simpletioni.

Simeoni versus Lance? Dude it's Simeoni versus himself:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:emPIml3ldjoJ:www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp%3Fpk%3D8691+filippo+simeoni+lan ce+armstrong&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

And one more thing Simeoni. After stage 18 in the 2004 Tdf, which you very simply did not win, you whimpered, "That was the real Lance Armstrong" as you passive-aggressively looked for sympathy. Ya know what dude, yeah, that was the real Lance Armstrong, the American who kicked your arse. And I tell ya what Simpletioni, keep your mouth going and Lance will sue you. Heck, you did it to him for less. And guess what pal, he kicked your arse where it counts most, on the road.

cadence90
11-12-2008, 12:56 AM
.... ..

darylb
11-12-2008, 08:47 AM
The difference of opinions on this issue has always been something that I don't understand.

LA B-slapped Simeoni on the 2004 tour. I always thought a good B-slap is SOP in mens professional sports.

I would have less respect for LA had he not "Stayed on his wheel".

Right on.

I dont understand it either. Guys like Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale, and Nolan Ryan were never sweet to opposing hitters. I cant think of a linebacker who was ever "nice" to opponents. And even Michael Jordan and Bird etc. were not having tea with those who guarded them.

And Eddie was called the cannibal because why?

Viper
11-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Sorry, that all read as pretty disjointed to me. Using the nerf stick again?

Why CAN'T I say that? Isn't researching the original story source a valid and required aspect of journalism?

And I find NO contradiction in Simeoni's statement that he himself never accused LA of doping (true statement) and the fact that he cites that OTHERS (many) have accused LA of doping (also true).

You claim that nowhere in the article does Simeoni offer "the truth". Do YOU know the truth? Prove it.

But, hey, thanks for sharing with us that your own "sources" are above all reproach, while stating that my own efforts to offer a different (and equally valid, regardless of what you think) perspective on this thread and a specific reply to BBD's question are somehow biased, hypocritical and inaccurate, because of my nationality (which I find truly insulting and a reversion to your age-old and documented spiteful tactics (something that I was under the impression you had succesfully changed and for which I complimented you publicly and privately) and that Simeoni's original-language reply to an Italian (after all: his country) national newspaper (and in fact a very balanced one, though I doubt you know that) are somehow tainted by mere association, while the cycling-specific magazines VeloNews and CycleSport (by the way, the most common letter in the English language is the "vowel-laden" letter "e") reports are somehow the "bibbie" (that's Italian: google it, if you can handle all the vowels) of the "truth". :rolleyes:

What utter and complete BS.

I am thoroughly amused, however, by the irony that your responses to "non-stories" (why even reply, by the way???) are themselves quite rambling, often spiteful, and absolutely epic in length.... :rolleyes:

EDIT: I would just like to add, just to rub it in a bit more , that you're from NYC, right?
I love the city: I attended the vowel-laden Columbia University Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation and lived in a walk-up room in the vowel-laden Brooklyn Heights.

Well, your new Knicks coach is the former star and long-time (American-born) player and then head coach of the oh-how-biased, rigatoni-laden, and therefeore of course despicable Olympia Milano, and that one of your current players is the future great Danilo Gallinari.
I think the Knicks (as a kid (although I loved foremost (and still love) the Lakers) Clyde and the Pearl were among my favorite players) will (finally, once they definitively dump Stephon Marbummer) be much the better for it, thankfully.
Mike D'Antoni + Danilo Gallinari + future = How do you like them vowels?

And the beloved and saintly word EIRE is comprised of, let's see: uno, due, tre...yep...75% vowels.
Man, those danged irksome things seem to have absolutely no remorse at all as to which language they completely corrupt.... :crap:

Here are some CliffsNotes for you: c*t the* m*rd*.
Grazie.

Cadence, you're the one taking a very nasty tone here and I could not care less about some drama queen by the name Filippo Simeoni. Your sense of national pride was questioned, deal with it, deny it, but your attack only advances my point, thanks. How so? Cadence, it was you who insulted American journalism first when you said, "I don't really put much stock in US or pro-Lance magazines trying to sell more issues by creating/furthering/sponsoring controversy.." and again, I effectively displayed how Italian sources are no more or less accurate, honest or biased. When you made that statement about US (American) magazines, you opened the can of worms, I simply baited the hook and reeled you in. You like Italian sources, believe them to be a bible of honesty and you are buying Filippo Simeoni's autobiography before it goes on sale. Me? I've heard enough of one Filippo Simeoni already and I was able to describe how no, Italian authorites are not without great prejudice in the supposed case of Simeoni Vs. Armstrong.

And don't be glib with accusations of documented spite, you, you are in no position to cast any such stone. Stay on topic, Mammino versus the American Cowboy.

Lance versus Simeoni is a farce, the Italian rider is fillled with words, lawyers and losses. I effectively displayed the facts of the case since Day One; Simeoni has lost to Lance in the public arena, court and where it counts most, the races, sporting competition. I effectively squashed Simeoni, beat him with a nerf stick left, right and center and let him know, if he keeps his mouth up, he'll be slapped with a lawsuit from that (fellow) arrogant American cowboy. I embarrassed Filippo Simeoni, it's very easy to do, he's Lance's whipping boy and the more Simeoni sits there with his mouth open, the worse it is for him; a fool and his words are easily parted.

Your opinion of me, good, bad or indifferent means nothing*; this is about Lance and Simeoni, our opinions of them, most importantly, the facts of the case and for that, just like on the road, Simeoni doesn't have a leg to stand on. The Italian press being fair to Lance? Please, who would expect such a thing when it was the same cowboy who battled Marco Pantani, another Italian and beat him at every corner. The Italian press being fair to Lance? It was Simeoni, an Italian who was convicted and suspensded for doping, but it was also Italian cycling and drug authorities who attempted to lynch Armstrong in 2004 for...'intimidating' the mammino, the mama's boy, Simeoni, at the 2004 TdF. I look forward to Armstrong at the 2009 Giro, hopefully Simeoni can clip in where he'll continue with his Charlie Brown-charade, attempting to kick a football which Lance will always...pull away. In 2004, when Lance took that infamous stage 18 victory, Simeoni was near tears after the incident and considered dropping out of the race. Perhaps Lance can hand Simeoni a hankerchief at the start of the 2009 Giro? I would, but Filippo Simeoni might sue me.

What, what...what is Simeoni's beef? Huh? What? What has got him so wrapped up in Lance's world, Lance's life? Doesn't Simeoni get the more he speaks of Lance, the more Lance own's him? Is he not smart enough to get this? Would anyone ever believe and take seriously a lawsuit from Mike Piazza against Roger Clemens, Roberto Clemente against Bob Gibson/Don Drysdale or the Portland Trailblazers/Houston Rockets for not drafting Michael Jordan in the 1984 draft? Moreoever, Filippo Simeoni isn't any nemesis or challenger of Armstrong, shouldn't even be considered in the same sentence in terms of cycling ability and while his defamation lawsuit against Armstrong was embarrassing, his allegations of 'mommy, he was being mean in stage 18 at the TdF' were simply sad. According to Simeoni, Jennifer Aniston should contact Italian authorities to sue Angelina Jolie, or Jolie's plastic surgeons, blame them for her loss of Brad Pitt.

Filippo Simeoni is a convicted liar. Filippo Simeoni is a convicted doper. Filippo Simeoni is a convicted cheater. His career means nothing and neither do his endless verbal offerings of Lance Armstrong.

Lance Armstrong called him a liar and how correct is this? One hundred percent; Filippo Simeoni doped, took drugs, lied about it and was convicted. Is it a true statement calling the Italian a liar? Yes. Lance then b-slapped Simeoni at the 2004 Tour de France and I had more respect for Lance in doing that, then avoiding it. Poor Mammoni, Simeoni, Filippo, he got squashed by Lance and he still cannot get over it and he still blames everyone but himself. In any language or culture, it's clear Simeoni is a loser.

* = We don't exchange Christmas cards here, we exchange opinions, ideas. Lance embarrassed Simeoni, much like Ali did to his opponents, exactly like Michael Jordan did to his. Note to Filippo, it's too late now, but when you look back at your career, what most will see is a coward and a doper.

THE FACTS (from the encyclopedia):

"In the 18th stage of the Tour de France of 2004, Simeoni was in a breakaway that posed no threat to Armstrong's leading position. However, Amrstrong attacked and forced Simeoni to get back in the peloton. Afterwards Armstrong was criticized by many for doing this, but many people also blasted the negative press as a severe show of hypocrisy, as it would seem to insinuate that Simeoni held an exclusive right to attack, and to flaunt himself, whilst Armstrong was obliged to concede and to "know his place."

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:ZfcbCct4XfYJ:www.fact-archive.com/encyclopedia/Filippo_Simeoni+filippo+simeoni+quotes&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

Cliffnotes: Lance whipped a loser, received negative press, especially in Italy, where Simeoni attempted to sue Lance for essentially calling him a, "Liar" (which Simeoni was and is) and then, after Lance took stage 18 of the 2004 TdF, Italian authorities then asked the Italian National Drug Squad (NAS) to look into Lance's stage 18 victory...to see if somehow, Lance intimidated Simeoni in stage 18 as Lance raced past him. I mean really, you can't make this stuff up and to think for one second, one moment the Italian press would be comepletely fair towards Lance. :rolleyes: Heck, Ali, Jordan or Lance could simply remind the Italian press this spring at the Giro, "America conquered Italy once and we're here to do it again." The Italians were right about Hincapie, no knife. Lance? He's got the knife.

In 2004 we heard this...on his way to an unprecedented sixth Tour win, Armstrong's action today is hard to interpret. He explained that "I was protecting the interests of the peloton" to French TV after the stage and continued by saying, "The story of Simeoni is not a fair story...there's a long history there. All (journalists) want to write about is parts of the story. It's a long history...a guy like (Simeoni), all he wants to do is to destroy cycling...and for me, that's not correct. And I when I went back to the group they said 'chapeau'...thank you very much. Because they understand that (cycling) is their job and that they absolutely love it and they're committed to it and don't want somebody within their sport destroying it. So...for me it's no problem to go on the wheel, to follow the wheel."

The we heard a whining wimp...for his part, Simeoni, who's currently suing Armstrong in an Italian court for defamation of character had harsh words for the man who perhaps spoiled his chance to be in the winning break today. "Today Armstrong showed the whole world what kind of person he is...I've suffered another big injustice from him with the whole world watching. A big champion like him can't possibly do something like that to a small rider like me and the other riders in the break who are looking for a moment of glory in the Tour de France. I was good today in the stage and made a good move to get up to the front group, but Armstrong followed me up to the break. It was a real shame."

Sorry Simeoni, Armstrong has the knife and all you have is a fork.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/tour04/?id=results/stage18

BBB
11-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Cadence, you're the one taking a very nasty tone here and I could not care less about some drama queen by the name Filippo Simeoni. Your sense of national pride was questioned, deal with it, deny it, but your attack only advances my point, thanks. How so? Cadence, it was you who insulted American journalism first when you said, "I don't really put much stock in US or pro-Lance magazines trying to sell more issues by creating/furthering/sponsoring controversy.." and again, I effectively displayed how Italian sources are no more or less accurate, honest or biased. When you made that statement about US (American) magazines, you opened the can of worms, I simply baited the hook and reeled you in. You like Italian sources, believe them to be a bible of honesty and you are buying Filippo Simeoni's autobiography before it goes on sale. Me? I've heard enough of one Filippo Simeoni already and I was able to describe how no, Italian authorites are not without great prejudice in the supposed case of Simeoni Vs. Armstrong.

And don't be glib with accusations of documented spite, you, you are in no position to cast any such stone. Stay on topic, Mammino versus the American Cowboy.

Lance versus Simeoni is a farce, the Italian rider is fillled with words, lawyers and losses. I effectively displayed the facts of the case since Day One; Simeoni has lost to Lance in the public arena, court and where it counts most, the races, sporting competition. I effectively squashed Simeoni, beat him with a nerf stick left, right and center and let him know, if he keeps his mouth up, he'll be slapped with a lawsuit from that (fellow) arrogant American cowboy. I embarrassed Filippo Simeoni, it's very easy to do, he's Lance's whipping boy and the more Simeoni sits there with his mouth open, the worse it is for him; a fool and his words are easily parted.

Your opinion of me, good, bad or indifferent means nothing*; this is about Lance and Simeoni, our opinions of them, most importantly, the facts of the case and for that, just like on the road, Simeoni doesn't have a leg to stand on. The Italian press being fair to Lance? Please, who would expect such a thing when it was the same cowboy who battled Marco Pantani, another Italian and beat him at every corner. The Italian press being fair to Lance? It was Simeoni, an Italian who was convicted and suspensded for doping, but it was also Italian cycling and drug authorities who attempted to lynch Armstrong in 2004 for...'intimidating' the mammino, the mama's boy, Simeoni, at the 2004 TdF. I look forward to Armstrong at the 2009 Giro, hopefully Simeoni can clip in where he'll continue with his Charlie Brown-charade, attempting to kick a football which Lance will always...pull away. In 2004, when Lance took that infamous stage 18 victory, Simeoni was near tears after the incident and considered dropping out of the race. Perhaps Lance can hand Simeoni a hankerchief at the start of the 2009 Giro? I would, but Filippo Simeoni might sue me.

What, what...what is Simeoni's beef? Huh? What? What has got him so wrapped up in Lance's world, Lance's life? Doesn't Simeoni get the more he speaks of Lance, the more Lance own's him? Is he not smart enough to get this? Would anyone ever believe and take seriously a lawsuit from Mike Piazza against Roger Clemens, Roberto Clemente against Bob Gibson/Don Drysdale or the Portland Trailblazers/Houston Rockets for not drafting Michael Jordan in the 1984 draft? Moreoever, Filippo Simeoni isn't any nemesis or challenger of Armstrong, shouldn't even be considered in the same sentence in terms of cycling ability and while his defamation lawsuit against Armstrong was embarrassing, his allegations of 'mommy, he was being mean in stage 18 at the TdF' were simply sad. According to Simeoni, Jennifer Aniston should contact Italian authorities to sue Angelina Jolie, or Jolie's plastic surgeons, blame them for her loss of Brad Pitt.

Filippo Simeoni is a convicted liar. Filippo Simeoni is a convicted doper. Filippo Simeoni is a convicted cheater. His career means nothing and neither do his endless verbal offerings of Lance Armstrong.

Lance Armstrong called him a liar and how correct is this? One hundred percent; Filippo Simeoni doped, took drugs, lied about it and was convicted. Is it a true statement calling the Italian a liar? Yes. Lance then b-slapped Simeoni at the 2004 Tour de France and I had more respect for Lance in doing that, then avoiding it. Poor Mammoni, Simeoni, Filippo, he got squashed by Lance and he still cannot get over it and he still blames everyone but himself. In any language or culture, it's clear Simeoni is a loser.

* = We don't exchange Christmas cards here, we exchange opinions, ideas. Lance embarrassed Simeoni, much like Ali did to his opponents, exactly like Michael Jordan did to his. Note to Filippo, it's too late now, but when you look back at your career, what most will see is a coward and a doper.

THE FACTS (from the encyclopedia):

"In the 18th stage of the Tour de France of 2004, Simeoni was in a breakaway that posed no threat to Armstrong's leading position. However, Amrstrong attacked and forced Simeoni to get back in the peloton. Afterwards Armstrong was criticized by many for doing this, but many people also blasted the negative press as a severe show of hypocrisy, as it would seem to insinuate that Simeoni held an exclusive right to attack, and to flaunt himself, whilst Armstrong was obliged to concede and to "know his place."

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:ZfcbCct4XfYJ:www.fact-archive.com/encyclopedia/Filippo_Simeoni+filippo+simeoni+quotes&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

Cliffnotes: Lance whipped a loser, received negative press, especially in Italy, where Simeoni attempted to sue Lance for essentially calling him a, "Liar" (which Simeoni was and is) and then, after Lance took stage 18 of the 2004 TdF, Italian authorities then asked the Italian National Drug Squad (NAS) to look into Lance's stage 18 victory...to see if somehow, Lance intimidated Simeoni in stage 18 as Lance raced past him. I mean really, you can't make this stuff up and to think for one second, one moment the Italian press would be comepletely fair towards Lance. :rolleyes: Heck, Ali, Jordan or Lance could simply remind the Italian press this spring at the Giro, "America conquered Italy once and we're here to do it again." The Italians were right about Hincapie, no knife. Lance? He's got the knife.

In 2004 we heard this...on his way to an unprecedented sixth Tour win, Armstrong's action today is hard to interpret. He explained that "I was protecting the interests of the peloton" to French TV after the stage and continued by saying, "The story of Simeoni is not a fair story...there's a long history there. All (journalists) want to write about is parts of the story. It's a long history...a guy like (Simeoni), all he wants to do is to destroy cycling...and for me, that's not correct. And I when I went back to the group they said 'chapeau'...thank you very much. Because they understand that (cycling) is their job and that they absolutely love it and they're committed to it and don't want somebody within their sport destroying it. So...for me it's no problem to go on the wheel, to follow the wheel."

The we heard a whining wimp...for his part, Simeoni, who's currently suing Armstrong in an Italian court for defamation of character had harsh words for the man who perhaps spoiled his chance to be in the winning break today. "Today Armstrong showed the whole world what kind of person he is...I've suffered another big injustice from him with the whole world watching. A big champion like him can't possibly do something like that to a small rider like me and the other riders in the break who are looking for a moment of glory in the Tour de France. I was good today in the stage and made a good move to get up to the front group, but Armstrong followed me up to the break. It was a real shame."

Sorry Simeoni, Armstrong has the knife and all you have is a fork.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/tour04/?id=results/stage18

Viper, I think Armstrong was pretty much widely panned for his antics on that particular stage of the TdF and I think we all know what "protecting the interests of the peleton" really means. I'm not really interested in the current Simeoni/Armstrong carry on as recently reported in the press and not planning on buying into any slanging match, but what happened back four years ago and the reasons for it speaks for itself.

BumbleBeeDave
11-12-2008, 04:43 PM
. . . Please, a polite request to take any nasty personal stuff offline. I'd hate to lock my own d@mn thread, but I will if this goes on.

Thanks.

BBD

flickwet
11-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Following the previous is what makes LA's return so exciting to me, also, I'm with Viper, besides. on 18 and in yellow Lance was superior If a rider can do it they should do it, remember poor pitiful Pantini's reaction when LA gifted him. What's really cool is the renewed passion on both sides.

cadence90
11-12-2008, 05:23 PM
.... ..

majorpat
11-12-2008, 05:35 PM
among everyone, and Lance does polarize people just like any well known figure usually does. I have to admit that Viper comes off as a little bit of a Lance-lover, however.

The guy (Lance) needs to just let it go, man. Go do mountain biking, marathoning or ice hockey. Just get a hobby, old boy, guilty or innocent you were a part of an era in cycling that just needs to go away. Maybe you and Bob Roll can become the new Phil and Paul for US cycling broadcasts.

C50
11-12-2008, 06:28 PM
What i am not clear on is the statement by Armstrong on stage 18 that he was just following wheels, doing the work, protecting the jersey and lead. He rode on the wheel for two minutes and then realized they were in front of the peloton? In this age of race radio, ear pieces, live tv feeds, and the fact you can just look over your shoulder or between the legs and not see anyone else, how does he really expect anyone to believe this was just racing? Also, when was the last time Lance chased down an attack or covered a move with 8 other teammates there to do that job? Just asking?

73Camaro_Dude
11-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Cadence 90.... "And as I showed above, I think that publicly dedicating one of 6 career victories to the victims of 9/11 showed a commendable compassion. I really don't get why people single him out for so much hatred and disrespect."

Im thinking that the disrespect comes from him being a doper, and the fact that he has not EARNED our respect... and to think that he was somehow being magnanimous by a single show of affection for the 9/11 events... or giving someone else's money to charity.

I don't think its hatred you are seeing, dude. There isn't enough about him to hate. There are lots of riders who have admitted doping, especially after being caught with it... how freaking noble. Despite your support and yammering... Simeoni is no hero.

What is funny is that the things that he testified against and stated in the media, although they aren't directed AT Armstrong... they are they not INDIRECTLY pointing at ALL the riders "associated" with Ferrari?

Peleton justice occurs at all levels. If there is someone that is weasly or that has done some injustice, or has pulled something flakey even on the local crits... riders know... and have their ways of dealing with it, or at least limiting the success of such a rider. For whatever reason, it was his turn to pay and I would be willing to bet there were more riders in the peleton than just Armstrong that were snickering at Lance's peculiar and public statement on Stage 18. I feel it was definitely questionable... no doubt.

Lance is ballsy and cocky. Is this somehow news? Cipo was ballsy and cocky. Terrell Owens, Mohammed Ali, and Dennis Rodman were all ballsy and cocky. Beckham has at times been a bit persnickity too... name your sport... it will have its superstars.... and also superstars in their not so greatest moments.... but you know what... their dominance and position at the top of their game has afforded them that right and the media and public eats it up like all you can eat crab legs at the local buffet.

"Lance should concentrate on the LAF"

I would imagine that Lance... being in competition and performing well is the most EFFECTIVE MARKETING that he could do for LAF. Its likely far more lucrative for his organization than hanging around the cancer clinics or greasing politicians. Like him or hate him, his efforts have done FAR MORE to advance the popularity and mass appeal of cycling in the last 40 years than probably ANY single Italian you can throw at it.

Plus, his little foundation has done far more good than any symbolic gesture of holding your bike up.

Truth is... whether we read Italian media, US media, Cambodian media... there will always be some translation or potential for bias or misinformation. Only Lance and Simeoni know what is true and what isn't... and Im sure whatever they know could be parsed down to semantics and argued. There is likely SO MUCH we dont know. We can only listen and make the best decisions we can for ourselves. This whole situation matters not to me.

There is nothing to see here. Just a future has been and a never will be.

Viper
11-12-2008, 07:25 PM
February, 2006. California. Golf. A Gentleman's game. The Accenture Match Play. Stephen Ames stood at the driving range and the media asked, "Will you take a carefree attitude into the match against the No. 1 player in the world (Tiger Woods) because not many expected you to win?"

Stephen Ames stood there, shook his head and said, "Anything can happen," Ames said, breaking into a big smile. "Especially where he's hitting the ball." Especially where he's (Woods) hitting the ball? Oh, okay.

Folks, the next day, Woods beat Ames as badly as one can be defeated in match play, 9 & 8. I've never witnessed anything like it, a golfer taking the first nine holes in a row, halving the tenth hole and winning? Impossible. When asked if Ames' comments motivated him, Woods smiled and said, "Yes."

That is sport, competition and life.

I am not a Lance Under Roo-wearer, no. I do admire Armstrong's comeback and think it's no business of anyone's, let alone some convicted liar, cheater, doper named Filippo Simeoni whether Armstrong returns to the bicicleta or not. I've been posting for the past three years that Armstrong can, should and most likely will return to the bike. He did.

What some view as arrogance, others view as sporting, sport; Armstrong won stage 18 at the 2004 TdF and I loved every second of it. The Italian officials and media were bent, out of shape? Armstrong should've offered, "Vendetta is Italian for 'see you later'. My friend, Hincapie, no knife ya'll said, right? Avare il, dalla parte del monico con coltello da intaglio. I'm Texan, speak cowboy and in my best broken-Italian I let you know what you told George Hincapie, an upper hand is with the knife. But again folks, I'm Texan and we don't use knives in Texas." Of course he couldn't say that, he danced around the issue whereas Simeoni was nearly in tears. Peleton justice, it's a funny thing, in fact it's a lot like life.

Simeoni, you're only making Lance train harder, to beat you faster. No gifts, none, Lance learned that with Pantani. I don't collect Topps or Fleer cycling cards and don't drink anyone's Kool Aid, but Filippo Simeoni's two cents on Lance's comeback is at least a penny too much, atmo. Lance, arrogant? I find it extremely arrogant to presume that stage 18, if you are Simeoni, belonged to you, somehow. Who named Simeoni victor of stage 18, what sense of entitlement did Simeoni display as he whined after losing?

How or why Simeoni feels stage 18 belonged to him is beyond me. Tiger Woods doesn't give one shot away, never, ever, on any day, week or month. When Vijay Singh opened his mouth, talking smack about Woods, Tiger showed him who was boss, a lesson Stephen Ames learned too. Tiger Woods in matchplay will bury you, regardless of whether your pet just died that morning, Woods will bury you. Speak badly of him or his wife? He'll hurt you, then bury you.

Simeoni versus Lance? It's truly Simeoni versus Simeoni. Armstrong said his only regret was that he never competed in the Giro d'Italia, it seems like the arrogant cowboy will be clipping-in on Lido Island in the spring, May 9th. "Everyone is saying that the Giro will serve to prepare for the Tour," Armstrong said in a written statement released by organizers in Italian. "Actually, it could be that I come to Italy to win and the Giro will actually be my real three-week stage race of the year."

Viva Lance.

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:jHa3o1xhLkoJ:sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story%3Fid%3D2340199+tiger+woods+defeated+match+pl ay+when+his+opponent+spoke+out&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:tUAPpvKXB4YJ:sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/news/story%3Fid%3D3640557+lance+my+regret+is+not+giro+d %27+italia&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

William
11-13-2008, 03:55 AM
I find it extremely arrogant to presume that stage 18, if you are Simeoni, belonged to you, somehow. Who named Simeoni victor of stage 18, what sense of entitlement did Simeoni display as he whined after losing?

How or why Simeoni feels stage 18 belonged to him is beyond me.

He who crosses the finish line first wins. Period.

William

Pete Serotta
11-13-2008, 08:51 AM
I spend a great deal of my time attempting to generate a new signature for you. The election is over and it's time I tackle mouth breathers in other arenas. I haven't done a great job conjuring up some wit, a quip worthy of a signature lately, frankly I've been distracted by Jack Bruck's bikes. I'll watch some early 80's Michael Keaton and Michael J. Fox movies, Princess Bride, throw in some T.S. Eliot and inhale some eucalyptus in the sauna at the gym and maybe I'll have a new sig for you soon.

FTR, I am pro-nuke, how else will the Millenium Falcon fly and pit bulls are great watch dogs; I pet them with my left hand while my right holds a Spyderco. Nice doggie.

Note to Filippo Simeoni, to the victor go the spoils, everyone else gets iocane powder.

Lets all chill and enjoy the moment of non :argue: THANKS

Lance Armstrong
11-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Viper who???? I am #1 always

Viper
11-13-2008, 04:30 PM
"What is perhaps forgotten is that two days later (after stage 18) on the run to the Champs-Elysees, Simeoni disrupted Armstrong's traditional victory parade, by attacking from the gun and forcing the entire US Postal team to chase. Ninety or so kilometres later Simeoni attacked repeatedly, four times, and each time it was a US Postal-led chase to bring him back."

Simeoni is NOT without any fault or guilt here, a convicted doper no less.

What is also not mentioned is that yes, by stage 18, Lance had the yellow all but assured victory, but he took a risk to sprint ahead, ride Simeoni's wheel, hunted down a group of six, of which Simeoni was one of them and he pushed ahead. Lance had just done the impossible, winning three mountain stages in a row, stages 15, 16 and 17, passing Basso up the Alpe d'Huez time trial on stage 15. Lance could've relaxed on stage 18 and should have, why? Because the final time trial, stage 19, was the very next day. Instead, Lance hunted down Simeoni in fashion and with purpose. If Simeoni can't stand the heat, he doesn't belong in the kitchen. Michael Jordan would light up any player in the NBA who he felt like, sometimes it was personal, other times, professional.

Now? Simeoni has just said this regarding Armstrong, "We are rivals on the bike, but we can be friends in charity works...he is dedicated to the fight against cancer, and I am dedicated to [Italian blood donation association] AVIS. These are two solidarity projects that could be united in one important event for the world of sport and society. I would like to ride with Armstrong side by side to promote our projects for a good cause."

Rivals on the bike? Simeoni, has the EPO gone to your brain? You're describing yourself as a rival of Armstrong's? Your career and cycling ability is a mere fraction of Lance's, to call yourself a rival is a bit too much.

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=19270&tp=n

Popo just signed with Astana, Lance is now that much stronger and why is it the 2004, stage 18 issue is the soup du jour? Cause Simeoni, now 37 and the current Italian champion, thinks he will find his Flaminia team denied a spot in the Giro d'Italia because Armstrong wants to ride...so Simeoni is yapping once again.

And so that day in July 2004 has become relevant again.

"Armstrong said he would not drop back unless Simeoni did too so, reluctantly, the Italian sat up and the pair waited for the peloton. Simeoni says he was abused, sworn at and even spat at when he got back to the bunch."

Spat at? Is Filippo Simeoni not getting it? Blaming Lance for his EPO conviction, his inability to understand athletes make messages within their sport, the race, competition?

I'm not the only one:

'But despite Simeoni's outcry, Australian veteran Scott Sunderland believes Armstrong's behaviour wasn't out of the ordinary.

''That sort of stuff does happen, and it has for years. I remember a lot of rivalries between teams in the past,'' Sunderland said.

The 37-year-old Alessio rider admitted that Simeoni's card had been marked by some in the peloton, and that Armstrong was within his rights.

''Filippo Simeoni spoke out and from what I can gather was throwing accusations around, saying things like you can't win anything on the big Tours if you're not taking stuff (drugs), so I think a lot of guys have just taken offence. It was stupid for Simeoni to do that, especially if he's still in the peloton and riding the big races. As far as Lance is concerned, I think he was on an easy day and he wanted to show Simeoni that if he was going to attack he would find it difficult."

Filippo Simeoni is not a Saint, he's far from it. He's the Italian national champion, he ought to ride the Giro and let's see what Lance can do; when Armstrong was in his prime he was the last person on two wheels to mess with.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/07/24/1090464904320.html

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/The_Wednesday_Comment_November_12_article_271985.h tml

BumbleBeeDave
11-13-2008, 04:37 PM
. . . as to why you simply cannot let go of this. :confused:

Where's William when we need him with that animated guy beating the dead horse? :rolleyes:

Can we at least agree that they are both certainly polarizing figures and move on?

BBD

Viper
11-13-2008, 04:43 PM
. . . as to why you simply cannot let go of this. :confused:

Where's William when we need him with that animated guy beating the dead horse? :rolleyes:

Can we at least agree that they are both certainly polarizing figures and move on?

BBD

And I'm perplexed by anyone who is confused as to why I have a dog in the fight of 'Simeoni Vs. Armstrong', I am a huge fan of Lance's. Moreover BBD, you are the one who created this thread, not I. :)

You posted a photo of Lance and Simeoni offering, "The photo seems to say a lot. Lance looks pretty mad to just be 'following a wheel' . . ." and others have chimed in with their two cents. I am posting, defending Lance. If you don't agree with it, don't, but don't attempt to limit my stance or perspective in the debate of the now infamous stage 18, 2004 Tdf.

It's not about me, speak to the case, the facts of Simeoni and Lance (as I have). If people cannot do that and they'd prefer to speak to me, or about me, simply drop me a PM.

In the meantime, I've offered a true scope of what happened that day, quotes and perspectives from those in the peleton and a look at it from 30K feet. Oh and I was attacked in this thread, as with Lance, a bad idea.

You posted 7x in this thread BBD, I posted 9x. We just disagree! :beer:

Simeoni's sense of entitlement to stage 18/2004 TdF is disgusting and against all sense of athletic competition. Many folks agree, some who were in the ride that day. It makes for great copy.

I agree with US Marine Major Pat, this is fantastic discourse. Until the Tour Down Under begins, we have some time to rap about Lance/pro cycling. When Simeoni calls Lance's comeback, "Pathetic", I will speak up and I'm speaking to Simeoni (if he's out there :confused: ). These are the words of a weasel, from Simeoni, "I don’t accept or recognize Armstrong’s return,” Simeoni said in an interview with the Spanish daily AS. “A big champion ought to know when to say enough is enough. It looks like he couldn’t stand this time away from the front pages. He says he’s coming back for his foundation, which I honor, but there has to be something else. I suppose it’s to clean his image.”

Those who know me, know I am a tremendous Greg LeMond fan. I do own LeMond Under Roos. :beer:

Your question, why can't I let go of this...ask Filippo Simeoni and the OP. :D

Charles M
11-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Like I said 4 pages ago...

When you want someone to pay attention to you, you sling at a guy who has a lot of attention.

I guess it applies to forum posters as well as Simeoni :D

rounder
11-13-2008, 08:36 PM
2004 is in the book. Let's see what happens in 2009. Hope it will be good and interesting.

William
11-13-2008, 08:57 PM
. . .

BBD

http://www.colossiansthreesixteen.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/flogger350x450.jpg

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/9/7/e/97e0039baf0f0de179a34d45ab0a1c78.jpg

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/5608/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/nomar_horse.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/374032258_5e692a7d77_o.jpg

Fonzie jumps the shark...
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RH46XKD6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.thewashingtonnote.com/archives/Shark%20Jump.JPG

Viper
11-13-2008, 09:11 PM
:)

fiamme red
11-13-2008, 11:12 PM
:)Now this thread has officially jumped the shark. :rolleyes:

Viper
11-14-2008, 12:10 AM

William
11-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Now this thread has officially jumped the shark. :rolleyes:

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlLA/original/Fonzie_jumps_the_shark%5B4%5D3.png