PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Front Mountain Bike Tire

sevencyclist
11-09-2008, 07:07 PM
What is your favorite front mountain bike tire for cross country rides?

I have found my trusted rear tires for mud, and hardpack conditions. However, I have not found that perfect front tire for singletracks in Northen CA? Any suggetions?

My rear choices are Tioga Black Turtle for mud, Kenda Small Block 8 for loose sandy, and IRC Claws Comp for hardpack.

chuckred
11-09-2008, 09:02 PM
I've had good luck with the Panaracer Fire XC Pro. Lately I've been riding a big cushy Continental Mountain King 2.4 up front. Tons of traction, rolls ok, soaks up rocky terrain.

Not really sure what your No. Cal trails are like though.

What do the guys in your local shops like?

bnewt07
11-10-2008, 02:01 AM
So dependent on your local trail conditions and weather. Almost too many choices.

I ran Panaracer Fire XC through the drier seasons this year replacing a pair of Conti Vapors. Both good, the Panaracers feel quite grippy even when it gets wet. They do seem to be wearing fast though. Maybe give the Vapors a whizz if your trails are mostly dry as they feel quick and are very durable.

My winter tyres are WTB Weir Wolf. Great tyre, I feel completely confident in the mud with them. Not the lightest but they've lasted an age, resist punctures fairly well and when they go will be replaced by another pair.

Bruce

Dave B
11-10-2008, 06:38 AM
I like and have used with great success.

Kenda Nevegal (wins best tire every year for a reason)
Maxxis Larsen TT
Maxxis Crossmark.

xjoex
11-10-2008, 06:55 AM
One more for the nevegal.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_Jz4f840sc_c/Ruw9OhlM00I/AAAAAAAAAXQ/9E7glk91a_w/s320/IMGP2807.jpg

They work great on roots and muds.

-Joe

DonH
11-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Nevegal or Conti Vertical Pro

dogdriver
11-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Maxxis Ignitor front/ Larsen TT rear combo on the SS work great.

Just wore out a pair of Nevegals on the Ventana 29er with no complaints. Replaced them with Conti Mountain Kings because my bike guru likes them.

Then again, I'm not a great bike handler, so I don't know if my opinion means anything.

Cheers, Chris

BryanE
11-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Explorers up front
Mountain Kings in the back
A great combo of light and fast

Drawbacks are price and they wear fast if touching any pavement.
Like my 2.5 mile warm up ride to the trails.
B

Volant
11-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Nevegals - But, lately, I'm REALLY liking the Pacenti NeoMotos - of course, you'll have to move to 650b! The QuasiMotos would be great if conditions are dryer.

michael white
11-10-2008, 11:08 AM
I lived in N. California once and decided I did not need the big tires with knobs . . . I found a lighter, faster rolling tire with a lot of body english was just more fun. In fact, I used Avocet inverted tread tires most of the time. That was in Humboldt County, though, no big descents.

sevencyclist
11-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the inputs.

I ride mostly some loose stuff over hardpack. Not as much rocks or roots. Practically no wetness in the summer, and will switch to a mud tire for winter wetness. A few times a year I will ride the course at Leguna Seca.

Sounds like Panaracer Fire XC Pro and Kenda Nevegals have the most support so far.

billrick
11-11-2008, 08:26 AM
650B Pacenti Neo Motos. THE best. If you are running a Fox fork, you can likely plug and play.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_uW6-u-XnwXc/SH4AqWDwaKI/AAAAAAAABuM/BvnXzzD5xSY/s320/DSC_1200.JPG

:)