PDA

View Full Version : 56cm Merck MX Leader Framer - NOS

spamjoshua
11-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Telekom colors.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=330285253735

Never built.

$1200 with Buy it Now, if anyone wants to do the live.com discount.

A fork is also for sale.

Joshua

jtferraro
11-09-2008, 03:05 PM
wow...that's hot. just curious - what is the TT length?

lhuerta
11-09-2008, 03:34 PM
I am interested, but it is odd that you would be offering the matching fork on a separate auction...?? Put them together and I will be sure to bid.
lou

spamjoshua
11-09-2008, 04:14 PM
1. The TT is 56cm C-t-C.

2. The fork steerer is long, for a larger frame, so while cutting a few threads will make it a match for this frame, its not _the_ match. As such, I listed it separately.

Joshua

spamjoshua
11-09-2008, 04:32 PM
I had no clue that the Buy-it-Now would disappear with a bid.

Joshua

spamjoshua
11-09-2008, 04:39 PM
I have canceled the dual listings and will re-list as one after looking into my buy-it-now options.

Joshua

spamjoshua
11-09-2008, 06:18 PM
This is for someone too tall for too many's beautiful frameset...

I am asking $1350 shipped.

Pics are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/spamjoshua/MerckxMXLeader

Joshua

khjr
11-09-2008, 07:59 PM
1. The TT is 56cm C-t-C.

2. The fork steerer is long, for a larger frame, so while cutting a few threads will make it a match for this frame, its not _the_ match. As such, I listed it separately.

Joshua

If the fork is for a much larger frame, is the rake correct for the frame that you have up for auction?

texbike
11-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Telekom colors.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=330285253735

Never built.

$1200 with Buy it Now, if anyone wants to do the live.com discount.

A fork is also for sale.

Joshua

Beautiful bike! However, I'm not sure that these are the Telekom colors. I believe that the TKom paint was dark charcoal, pink, and white.

Once again, this thing is gorgeous and the price seems more than reasonable for one of the best riding steel bikes ever. Style, substance, and mojo all rolled into one!

Good luck with the sale. Someone is going to get a great bike!

Cheers,

Texbike

derosa_guy
11-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I bought the 55cm MX Leader from spamjoshua a couple of months ago. It was a great transaction. He's a honest guy.

spamjoshua
11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Thank you.

It simply needs more threads and the steerer length cut for your headset.

Cheers,
Joshua

spamjoshua
11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
It will be a fantastic build for someone else when the time comes.

Cheers,
Joshua

spamjoshua
11-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Beautiful bike! However, I'm not sure that these are the Telekom colors. I believe that the TKom paint was dark charcoal, pink, and white.
Texbike

It seems this is a Weinmann team scheme. :)

reference: http://www.tearsforgears.com/2007/09/more-merckx-team-bikes.html

I was never much good with colors.

Joshua

thwart
11-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Beautiful frame.

Joshua is a great person to deal with.

StephenCL
11-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Joshua is awesome. I wish I did not already have one, and a max Zank on the way....

Just for grins Josh, you should take a close up of the seat cluster. It would be cool to figure out which rev of the MXL bike this is.

There were at least three.

Thanks,

Stephen

texbike
11-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Joshua is awesome. I wish I did not already have one, and a max Zank on the way....

Just for grins Josh, you should take a close up of the seat cluster. It would be cool to figure out which rev of the MXL bike this is.

There were at least three.

Thanks,

Stephen

From the ebay pics, it looks like it has the seatstay treatment (attached to the side of the seattube) of the final rev.

Here's a pic of the cluster on my earlier Telekom MXL.

Cheers,

Texbike

spamjoshua
11-09-2008, 10:01 PM
This frame came by way of Queens Cycles in South Africa.

It was reported to be from the mid 90's.

I will grab some close ups as soon as I can.

The originals are really large, and if downloaded in full, the zoom shows finer details:

http://picasaweb.google.com/spamjoshua/MerckxMXLeader

Cheers,
Joshua

spamjoshua
11-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Hope this helps...

StephenCL
11-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Texbike,

I love those stays. This is the MXL front tubes with the max rear stays. Perhaps the finest mxl combination.

If I ever find one if those, or the original MAX EM's in a 54 or 55cm, it is MINE at almost any cost.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Stephen

From the ebay pics, it looks like it has the seatstay treatment (attached to the side of the seattube) of the final rev.

Here's a pic of the cluster on my earlier Telekom MXL.

Cheers,

Texbike

gemship
11-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Texbike,

I love those stays. This is the MXL front tubes with the max rear stays. Perhaps the finest mxl combination.

If I ever find one if those, or the original MAX EM's in a 54 or 55cm, it is MINE at almost any cost.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Stephen

At any cost? Why? is the earlier style more valuable? or is it a question of stiffness/quality?

StephenCL
11-10-2008, 08:07 PM
I am a big fan of the original MAX seat stays. It is like they were fillet brazed to the back of the seat lug. I have always dug the rectangular orientation.

They are super stiff though. Also, the early EM's used the full MAX tube set. The big change was the orientation of the top tube. On the original MAX it tapered horizontally into the seat tube lug.

spamjoshua
11-13-2008, 11:07 PM
This is now a shameless bump.

Do folks think I would be better served mounting the fork?

Thank you,
Joshua

zmudshark
11-14-2008, 09:24 AM
This is now a shameless bump.

Do folks think I would be better served mounting the fork?

Thank you,
Joshua
Yes

texbike
11-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Shameless sales pitch for this bike:

How often do you see or will have a chance to buy a NOS Merckx MX Leader from the 1990s??? The "original" (1990s era) MXLs are rumored to be a much nicer bike than the "re-issues" from a few years back and are one of the sweetest steel race bikes of all time. These bikes have a mythical mojo to the ride and responsiveness that defies explanation (do a search on this forum alone for the discussions) beyond the tubes and geometry. I believe that e-richie described it as "gestalt".

Also, pictures rarely do these bikes justice. The subtle details (such as the quality of the chrome, workmanship, the depth of the paint, the outlining of the decals, and the color transitions) are hard to pick up in photos. They are not at the level of say a Sachs, Weigle, or Kirk for instance, but they're REALLY nice for a bike built by a bunch of blue collar folks from Belgium. :)

If you are looking for a classic machine that could also server as your primary ride, then look no further. The MXL is the perfect candidate.

Texbike

derosa_guy
11-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Yes

I agree. Threading a fork is going to scare off a lot of buyers. Very sweet frame!

spamjoshua
11-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Being the geek that I am, and a bike addict too, I have a thread cutter and oil at home.

:)

Joshua

rodcad
11-15-2008, 01:35 PM
The "original" (1990s era) MXLs are rumored to be a much nicer bike than the "re-issues" from a few years back and are one of the sweetest steel race bikes of all time.

I have done quite a bit of googling on MXL's and this rumor is simply 1 guys opinion from what I have found. He had both and liked his older one better. It amazes me how many people have read this guys thoughts!

MXL's are pretty legendary when it comes to their ride. Besides this one guys thoughts on the newer MXL's, the only negative I have heard is the frame is too much for smaller lightweight guys. Yes, the frame is not light, but neither are the guys that this frame was really intended for.

I have a NOS '05 in 63cm that I have yet to build up and salivate at the thought.

Cheers!

dvancleve
11-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I read the Classic-Rendezvous mailing list, and I believe the very first of the "new" MX Leaders were actually NOS frames that sat unpainted for 10+ years without forks. A guy (Baron Corpuz) that buys up a lot of old bike stuff in Europe had a batch of them finished, with new forks I believe. My guess is that those sold well enough that Merckx decided to build up some more...

Doug

The "original" (1990s era) MXLs are rumored to be a much nicer bike than the "re-issues" from a few years back and are one of the sweetest steel race bikes of all time.

I have done quite a bit of googling on MXL's and this rumor is simply 1 guys opinion from what I have found. He had both and liked his older one better. It amazes me how many people have read this guys thoughts!

MXL's are pretty legendary when it comes to their ride. Besides this one guys thoughts on the newer MXL's, the only negative I have heard is the frame is too much for smaller lightweight guys. Yes, the frame is not light, but neither are the guys that this frame was really intended for.

I have a NOS '05 in 63cm that I have yet to build up and salivate at the thought.

Cheers!

spamjoshua
11-25-2008, 03:16 PM
BB is Italian.

Joshua