PDA

View Full Version : Look KEO vs Crank Bros QUATTRO vs Shimano 105 pedals

d_douglas
11-09-2008, 10:29 AM
I am in the market for an extra set of pedals. I weigh 190lbs and I currently have a pair of Shimano Ultegra SPD ones (don't know the number, but he silver Look-type ones that are common). I like them and think they work fine.

I hve another pair of shoes, so the issue of shoe compatibility isn't an issue - I can have two different types of cleats on the shoes and that will be fine.

I am looking at buying something cheap and reliable. I don't know much about pedals, but I have personal experience with the Shimanos, have heard Good things about Look KEOs and I think the Quattros are pretty sexy.

I have the chance to buy:

1) slightly used Shimano R540 (105) pedals for a ridiculously cheap price (about $40) with new cleats. Sticking with the same cleats allows me to use either pairs of shoes.

2) new Look KEO classics for about $80us

3) slightly used CB Quattro steel axle pedals with new cleats for about $90US.

Any thoughts on the best use of my money? As they are all quite cheap, I am not concerned about the money, just your recommendations on which ones seem like a good investment.

In particular, the Quattros - do they feel like MTB pedals or road pedals? I definitely want the large, comfortable road platform and while these look cool, they seem like they are just a stylized MTB pedal - am I wrong?

Thanks for your feedback.

bigbill
11-09-2008, 10:48 AM
I am 215# and have crank bros pedals on all my bikes. I have been using quattros on my road bike for three years. The design is good and although I have a rebuild kit for them in my toolbox, I haven't needed it. While I was stationed in Italy, I could use my MTB shoes with a standard CB cleat with the quattro pedals if I planned on walking. The cleat design (plastic base/guide plate) is good. The only issue I ever had was creaking on my carbon soled road shoes. The creaking was from the plastic base against the carbon sole. I lightly sanded the plate and solved the problem. I have a new pair of Northwave shoes with the CB three bolt cleat. Again, a good design.

d_douglas
11-09-2008, 02:51 PM
other opinions?

A.L.Breguet
11-09-2008, 02:51 PM
I have Crank Bros Candies on my 'cross bike and like em. I'd consider them for my road bike when the time comes.

capybaras
11-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Everyone loves Crank Bros. :banana:

haimtoeg
11-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I had the previous version of SPD-SL pedals (plastic ramp) and did not like them at all, clipping in and out were tentative and I always had the feeling that I am not securely connected to the bike. I changed to Keo (Carbon CrMo, gray cleats) and it is night and day, they feel secure and positive and I feel more confident with them.

I also have Crank Bros Quattro on my single speed bike, they are convenient because I can use mountain shoes that allow me to walk, but they are not a close match to the Keos.

paczki
11-09-2008, 03:36 PM
I had the previous version of SPD-SL pedals (plastic ramp) and did not like them at all, clipping in and out were tentative and I always had the feeling that I am not securely connected to the bike. I changed to Keo (Carbon CrMo, gray cleats) and it is night and day, they feel secure and positive and I feel more confident with them.

I also have Crank Bros Quattro on my single speed bike, they are convenient because I can use mountain shoes that allow me to walk, but they are not a close match to the Keos.

I switched from Keos to Crank Brothers. I far prefer Crank Brothers Quattros to Keos! :banana:

Overhill
11-10-2008, 08:39 AM
I have various versions of Crank Brothers on all of my bikes. I use Quattro and Candy on road and time trial bikes, and have used regular egg beaters on the road bike, but prefer something with a platform. I am pleased with the pedals. MTB shoes and cleats work with the road pedals. I have used Shimano and Speedplay in the past, but like the CBs better. Good luck.

dogdriver
11-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Speedplay Zero.

All metal contact points, wonderful float adjust, easy in/out, double sided, huge rigid platform.

Switched over from Shimano this spring and never looked back. You can get a new pair of chromolys with cleats for about $100 with the fall sales. S/S, Ti cost more but look cool.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong, Chris

d_douglas
11-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Yes, I have a few friends who ride speedplays and they look cool to me, but for some reason, I hesitate.

Maybe I fear that my foot will pop loose and I will die!? I sat on my buddy's bike once and played around with them, and they seemed to have weird engagement. I know this isn't fair because I never actually rode on them, so no pedal feels natural when you are leaning against a wall.

I'm not sure what to think - they just look too complicated to me!

So far, the Quattros are the faves. So they have better contact points than Crank Bros MTB pedals?

android
11-10-2008, 10:12 AM
other opinions?

I think you may mean SPD-SL. Those will typically have black cleat with yellow corners.

Feet are your most important contact point. Why mess with it if it is working?

It is hard enough to get the same make/model of cleats aligned correctly on different shoes and even harder to get different brands set up to provide the same interface. Also, you then have to deal with sole and cleat stack height being different which then requires seat heights be different.

Monkeying with this kind of stuff is what leads to knee and other joint problems.

Keep it simple and get another pair of the same kind of pedal you are currently using.

d_douglas
11-10-2008, 10:41 AM
yes, I know what you are saying.

To be clear, I would not be switching the pedals onto other bikes - I would just use my Shimanos, say, on my Serotta and a pair of KEOs on my Cinelli. Seat heights would be set and left alone...

D

deechee
11-10-2008, 11:54 AM
r540's. no doubt.

We have 2 pair of ultegra spd-sl's and 3 pairs of the r540 cheap black pedals between my gf and I. In fact I race my tri bike with the R540's.

Betwen the ultegra 6610 and R540, I find the R540 even smoother to clip in and out of. Very quick; but I've never had an accidental clip-out either. (Have with looks.) Besides that, no performance difference. The 540's bearings aren't as smooth after a few years of abuse but its not like you feel it. I only noticed after spinning them on the crank.

Between ultegra 6620 and 6610, big diff in feel. 6620's are MUCH stiffer. Unfortunately with my fixed cleats, it felt too rigid. Gave them to my gf, and she finds they feel great with the regular yellow float cleats.

The R540's are great value. Btw, you might find some old dura-ace 7800 pedals but you can only use an allen key with them (not the 15mm) so I find they're a real pain to deal with.

johnnymossville
11-10-2008, 12:03 PM
I switched to speedplays and the double sided entry can't be overlooked as a feature either. Just step in and go. Another nice thing I found is that pedaling them even when not clipped in feels pretty good. A foot coming out my pedals during races while going up hills was a problem before my speedplays, but hasn't happened once since I got them.

It's great we have some choices though. Whatever works best for you is what's best.

Fixed
11-10-2008, 02:47 PM
c bros here
cheers

Don49
11-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Something to be aware of, I just bought a pair of "09 LOOK KEO Carbon road bike pedals + cleat covers NEW!" from eBay for $155 shipped (and got the live.com 25% off deal).

Pedals arrived today and in looking them over, the production stamp is 11/07, not exactly a 2009 model as stated. I also see that the seller has dropped the model year reference from his current auctions.

Don't know that this matters much as I like the pedals, but it was misleading.

d_douglas
11-12-2008, 04:17 AM
Has anyone used the NEW Shimano pedals with the wider platform? The 5610 (105) model seems to get great reviews - better than the previous generation model that I have.

I spoke with a mechanic about pedals. He:

1) uses Look Keos (he said to buy no less than the Sprint model)
2) thought Shimano ones were very well made (this is where I fondled the 5610 models)
3) thought Crank Brothers were crap. (He is an abusive MTBer, and broke two sets of Mallet pedals in a month. Admittedly, he hasn't tried the road pedals, but has 'no taste for anything Eggbeater', as he said).

The Shimanos look really nice. I am leaning towards them.

The one other pedal that I like are the Campy Profit models. I think they look nice and I am a Campy guy, but they are a) expensive and b) a bit rare, leading to potential problems finding cleats, etc. down the road.

I don't think you can get their pedals for $80, can you!?