PDA

View Full Version : Fierte v HSG

Scott in Iowa
11-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Hello, (as posted in the bike fit thread)

I'm new to this forum and found this discussion as I am looking to upgrade my Trek 5200 to a new Serotta (yes don't give me grief about the 5200...) and wanted some input from Serotta users. Anyway, I have narrowed my choice to a Serotta Fierte Carbon, Serotta Fierte IT, Serotta HSG Carbon or Specialized Roubaix. My bike shop is a certified Serotta dealer with the fit cycle and very professional.

I do a couple of Time Trials a year, RAGBRAI and would like to do a certified bike race in 09. I also enjoy jumping on the bike and spending the entire day doing a century with no time constraints or sometimes just hammering it out.

Any input on the above mentioned bikes would be appreciated. :confused:

Regards,
Scott in Iowa

dharleyd
11-09-2008, 09:25 AM
buy a Look 595

jeo99
11-09-2008, 09:37 AM
I would have to agree with STEEVO in your previous post. The Fierte would be the best choice for your type of riding.

Cheers :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
11-09-2008, 10:26 AM
buy a Look 595

. . . and Jack will be selling his! :p ;)

BBD

bikemoore
11-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Fierte vs HSG really depends on what the dealer thinks would fit you best. While I don't own either one, my impression is that Fierte has a longer head tube and higher bar position....which is not automatically more comfortable than the HSG's lower bar position. I have one bike with the sloping top tube, longer head tube, higher bars and find that I actually prefer my bikes with the level top tube and lower bars....its just what fits me better. I'd let the dealer make a recommendation on the Fierte vs HSG after he fits you.

Ken Robb
11-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Hey Scott, Relax, take your time--you won't have ridng weather for 4 months. :)

kerrycycle
11-10-2008, 12:18 AM
You are talking about three very different bikes. The Fiertes and Specialized have very similar geometry are designed for a more upright position and compliant ride...not that that detracts any from the capabilities. The bikes have taller headtubes and longer chainstays to accomplish this. You cannot go wrong with either of these bikes. If you typically run a lot of spacer under your bars, go for the fierte.

Now to the HSG Carbon. I have been riding and racing one for the last year. It is a fantastic bike, but you need to know what you are getting into with it. The bike is very stiff and responsive. However, be aware that the handling is also very precise as the result of shorter chain stays and a very short headtube. It took me quite a while to dial in the handling and get comfortable on this bike. That being said, you could not offer me enough for this bike. I've put it through about every scenario possible, raced it like a madman, and it shines.