PDA

View Full Version : Northern California Wine Country...

Avispa
11-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Is it still worth riding in it? A few years back, when I lived in California, I remember that going to the Sonoma/Napa areas to ride was great!

We had special times when we rode during the week when traffic was less than during the weekend, when the local tourists would hit the road to the wineries.

For those of you that have ridden it lately, are the roads better now, has the traffic gotten out of control to the point that riding is a mess? Please discuss...

Thanks for the info!

..A..

Pete Serotta
11-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Roads are not better BUT I truly love the riding in the ALexander River Valley and out toward the coast. Napa the day I was there, while beautiful, had lots of traffic. Santa Rosa bike club has lots of routes on their site...

Jack Brunk
11-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Most of the roads that lead out of the Napa Valley east are in really good condition. Lake Hennessy, Howell Mountain Etc are awesome rides and the roads north near Calastoga leadiing into the Pope Valley are also in really good shape.

mikki
11-08-2008, 09:34 PM
This is my hometown, Sonoma in Sonoma County. Not only do love it for that, but the people are so genuine and the beauty is truly remarkable. Everyone needs to ride here at least once. I took some professionals from down here in southern California to this area two years ago and they couldn't believe the beauty. My only complaint is the pot holes in the road. Honestly though, it is so gorgeous that the rough roads don't matter...really!!

The wine ain't so bad either! (Napa is for auto parts!!)

Elefantino
11-08-2008, 09:56 PM
My hometown, Santa Rosa, used to be the place for winter cycling training back in the late 80s and into the 90s, before teams moved south.

I have to say that each time I go back (in-laws still live there and I go back a couple or three times a year and ride) I am amazed and appalled at the condition of the roads, particularly out Bennett and Rincon valleys. (We had better roads in Utah, where we had snow and freezing rain.)

Also, the traffic has gotten a lot worse, at least IMHO. As I said, I only go back a few times a year. I'd love a scouting report on non-sh***y roads for when I'm back in February for the ToC.

SadieKate
11-08-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm with Jack. The roads to the east between Napa Valley and Lake Berryessa are fine, not glassy smooth but not horrendous also. The traffic, particularly in winter, is minimal. The riding this time of year is superb.

Now some of the roads going into Santa Rosa this year on the MS150 were horrible but avoidable if you knew the area.

BumbleBeeDave
11-09-2008, 07:12 AM
. . . but even that long ago when I lived just over the hill in Vacaville, Highway 29 was a mess and I stayed away from it. I can't imagine it's gotten any better. If you're going up the valley for any reason get over on Silverado Trail--unless things have REALLY changed.

BTW, if you want a break from cycling, do the hike up the road to Mt. St. Helena's summit outside of Calistoga. Take 29 up the hill toward Lakeport and there's a parking are for Robert Louis Stevenson State Park and a trail that hooks up with the dirt road. It's a 5 mile hike to the summit with spectacular view the whole way if it's a clear day. You also might have a sailplane go right by you. The pilots take advantage of the thermals off the side of the mountain. You'll hear a swooshing sound, then the plane will go by so close you'll think you could reach out and touch it. Whoa!

BBD

jeffg
11-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Well, I did the Knoxville double in September and I can tell you that there were very few folks out on that route, which has some rough and spectacular roads, though there are some hunters out there. The price of gas also cut down on folks pulling boats ...

The remote roads are still very little traveled in my experience, especially if you get out early.

My favorite: Start out from the sleppy town of Occidental, head to Cazadero and take King's Ridge/Meyers Grade down to the coast, up and over Coleman Valley down back to Occidental. Grab some dinner at the Underwood Bar and Grill in Graton up the Road, and voila!

Trinity is still fine at most times, ditto the Geyers and Skaggs Springs

Another fun road is St. Helena/Sonoma Mountain Road. we stayed at the top at a hobby vineyard cum vacation rental at the top. The last stretch is on a fairly steep dirt road, which is a wonderful way to end a ride.

http://www.sthelenaroadvineyards.com/estate.html (I am not affiliated in any way with this rental other than we and our friends loved it)

maunahaole
11-09-2008, 03:03 PM
I agree on riding the east side of Napa - Berryessa, Howell Mountain, Ink Grade, etc. Find out the route that they use for the Napa Century and follow their map.

Pete Serotta
11-09-2008, 04:12 PM
This is my hometown, Sonoma in Sonoma County. Not only do love it for that, but the people are so genuine and the beauty is truly remarkable. Everyone needs to ride here at least once. I took some professionals from down here in southern California to this area two years ago and they couldn't believe the beauty. My only complaint is the pot holes in the road. Honestly though, it is so gorgeous that the rough roads don't matter...really!!

The wine ain't so bad either! (Napa is for auto parts!!)

Coming out to ride and drink with you in 09.... ;) PETE

SadieKate
11-10-2008, 12:03 PM
. . . but even that long ago when I lived just over the hill in Vacaville, Highway 29 was a mess and I stayed away from it. I can't imagine it's gotten any better. If you're going up the valley for any reason get over on Silverado Trail--unless things have REALLY changed.The Silverado Trail is OK but now a main artery and can have a lot of traffic. Fortunately, still a wide smooth shoulder.

SadieKate
11-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Here are routes I frequently rode until last year. They keep you off Highway 29 and Silverado. This is the most beautiful time of year up there for riding.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ca/turtle-rock/644896735
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ca/pope-valley/479643754
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ca/pope-valley/1178655149

This one includes an out and bike climb on Atlas Peak, about as remote as it gets. Pavement at the top is a little rough but beautiful country.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Yountville-Atlas-Veeder

Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen in St. Helena is a good after ride food. "Fine dining" but don't worry about being post-ride grungy.