PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Tubular pre-builts?

oldguy00
11-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Any decent looking cheap tubular pre-builts out there?
I have a set of handbuilts......record front hub, DA rear hub, 36 spoke on Ambrosio anodized rims. The only problem I have with them is that......they are boring... :)
Any suggestions?
thx!

dauwhe
11-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Are they boring because they're shy? Or don't they seem to have anything interesting to say? Perhaps an art class or joining a book club would bring them out of their shell. Or you could try a makeover. A bunch of Hello Kitty stickers or something. Can you tie-dye aluminum?

Dave

bfd
11-08-2008, 01:52 PM
By boring do you mean your durable wheelset lacks "excitement?" How about this: say you buy a fancy, dancy boutique wheelset. You break a spoke. Bringing it into "anybikeshopusa," you find they don't stock the spoke because its proprietary and cost $10 each. Further, it has to be ordered, so you're at best without a wheel until the shop gets its next order. Definitely, not boring....Good Luck!

Mr. Butterworth
11-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Bontrager makes a tubular version of their Race X Lite aluminum wheelset that's pretty nice. It's not cheap, but not nearly as expensive as a carbon tubular wheel. And since there are like a billion Trek dealers, replacement parts are not difficult to come by.

ewwhite
11-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Easton EA70x

http://www.backcountry.com/store/EAS0051/Easton-EA70X-700C-Wheelset.html

Der_Kruscher
11-08-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm just going to put it out there that I think these hubs (Easton R4) are suspect. I've had a pair of EA90's for less than a season and had to rebuild the rear hub which appears to be sealed very poorly. I've never had this problem with Mavic hubs (which have seen way more miles and a lot more abuse) or standard Shimano hubs.

Easton EA70x

http://www.backcountry.com/store/EAS0051/Easton-EA70X-700C-Wheelset.html

oldguy00
11-20-2008, 10:52 AM
bumping for any more suggestions? This past weekend a rider made a stupid move and crashed into me, sending 4 of us down. Aside from other damage to the bike, the rear wheel is bent way out, enough that I think the rim is toast. So, rather than buying a new rim, new spokes and rebuilding, I'll just go prebuilt. Of course, I''ll be on the indoor trainer for the next few months due to the following, which I am waiting on wrist surgery for.......damn newbie riders...... :crap:

-transverse fracture of the waist of the scaphoid
-second fracture distally in the scaphoid
-fractures of the radial styloid which is mildly comminuted
- transverse fracture through the distal radial metaphysis and the ulnar styloid is fractured as well
- mild impaction at fracture site

ewwhite
11-20-2008, 11:53 AM
The Easton EA70x prebuilts are on chainlove.com right now for $230. Reasonable deal.