PDA

View Full Version : Road riding in Manchester/Storrs, CT area...

Russ
11-13-2004, 03:15 AM
I have been looking for possible employers in the Tolland (Storrs) or Harford (Manchester) areas in Connecticut.

Do any of you live there? Have you experienced the riding there?

ThomasAylesbury
11-13-2004, 06:19 AM
Hi, I used to live in Enfield and attended UConn which is in Storrs near Tolland. Riding is excellent. Lots of club rides in the area and centuries on the weekends. Very hilly if you want or ride in the CT valley which is flat. I now live in Longmeadow, MA just north by 20 miles and more employers near Springfield, MA. Tolland is a nice town but is being developed.

bags27
11-13-2004, 09:02 AM
I have a friend who rides out of Storrs--and he thinks it's wonderful. Challenging and lots of pals to ride with. (He and I rode a century together here in Rhode Island, and he know an amazing number of people--buddies who had also come up to ride.) I could give you his e-mail address if you send me a personal message.

Dude
11-13-2004, 09:10 AM
I went to school in Hartford and the riding out there is very nice. On west side of the Connecticut river (farmington, avon, etc) the riding is really nice as well. Didn't spend much time near storrs but if it is better than where i was riding...daammnn. Its probbaly pretty good.

Peter
11-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Manchester is the "edge" of the developed area. Leave the city (a small one of 50k people) and you'll be blessed with tons of rural riding, farm country, small roads and plenty of rolling to hilly terrain. Go anywhere north, east, or south and that's what you'll find, even as soon as you hit the surrounding towns.

Now, go out near Storrs and you're really in for a treat as there is even less traffic, more cows, and more towns to get lost in. The University of Connecticut even has a cycling team/club you might be able to hook up with. They also have a dairy bar where they make and sell their own ice cream!

Either area would be a great choice for cycling.

kokies
11-14-2004, 07:37 AM
Born and raise in Tolland, lived their 20 something years. Their are a few local shops for you. One is in willington just off 32 on your way to exit 69 for 84, called alternate spoke. I haven't been their in years, but the original was a very nice guy. The other shop to go to would be Vernon cycle. Bigger store, I have know one of the owners for about 12 years.
As far as good rides. Just get the know the road around their and you can piece together a ride with just about any type or riding. My ony caution is if you kinda get lost, you may run into some unwanted dirt roads.