PDA

View Full Version : Gloucester Cyclocross photos--Better Late Than Never!

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Well, it took a few weeks, but I finally got all my Gloucester cyclocross photos edited from October 12. I shot a LOT and it just takes time. Having to go through them all encourages some shooting discipline next time!

Here's a few samples. You can see all of the ones from this race at:

http://www.pbase.com/bumblebeedave/gloucester_cyclocross_2008

. . . and my other racing stuff is at:

http://www.pbase.com/bumblebeedave/bicycle_racing

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2008, 03:09 PM
. . . provided some really good shots on day 2. I was not there Saturday, but was told that race organizers had changed the course after dark Saturday night and carved this out of a totally virgin area of pretty tough looking brush. It was around a hard right turn after a run along the ocean, so if you didn't know it was there and came up to it, you were faced with literally a wall of dirt. This made for some amusing expressions during the morning practice. It also meant because you had to slow down at the curve that it was impossible to ride up. No one could get around the corner with enough speed to do it.

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2008, 03:11 PM
. . . on the runup. This is from one of the morning races. I used the early races to scope out some sports to shoot the pros later. so many good spots to choose from on this course. There was no way I could shoot all of them.

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2008, 03:13 PM
There were so many good spots where you could get right up close.

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2008, 03:16 PM
. . . from the runup area. I tried to do something different to show the muscles on these guys. Lots of racers that looked like they had sewn footballs into their calves!

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2008, 03:17 PM
. . . from over by the baseball field.

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2008, 03:19 PM
. . . gets some pre-race energy. You'd never peg her for an elite athlete . . . no rippling muscles. But she got a gap on the field in the first lap of her race and they never caught up. I met her afterward at Bruce K's house and she was just a really nice young lady, very grateful for her good fortune that day.

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2008, 03:20 PM
. . . this tree had already dropped its leaves. It made some really nice silhouette shots.

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2008, 03:21 PM
. . . was making faces like this every time I saw her during the race. I would have loved to have been able to have a moto and just shoot her for the entire race.

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2008, 03:23 PM
. . . was frickin' GREAT! Bruce K's son told me it was originally built as a volleyball pit, but the league that convinced the city council to do it only used it for one year. Whatever . . . it made great images as various riders decided to either run it or try to ride it.

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2008, 03:24 PM
. . . ran right across the baseball field. I liked the way shooting it through the fence made it look kind of like an expressionist painting.

Blue Jays
11-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Very cool. Can't wait to see the whole bunch displayed at your site.
:beer:

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2008, 03:25 PM
. . . from the runup by the water.

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2008, 03:28 PM
. . . and lots of offered hands from the hometown crowd. He was smiling here, but I ran after him and after he got stopped he was clearly discouraged. His wife Lynne Bessette had come down and was there with him. He was anywhere from 10-30 feet behind Trebon for the whole race except for one spot I saw them on the runup on the first lapand I heard that was the same on Saturday. Trebon just rode slowly away from him the whole time.

Don't forget to go see all the others! I'm here through Friday . . . Tell your friends! . . . Try the veal!

BBD

old_school
11-06-2008, 03:45 PM
My favorite

http://i.pbase.com/o2/12/670612/1/105580090.9gy2YnGm.DSC_0389.JPG

Kids on bikes always make me smile.

girlie
11-06-2008, 04:44 PM
I missed you there...I only went on Sunday.
Cool shots. I almost said action shots but it's cross and all are action shots:)
Thanks for the images!
girlie

hybridbellbaske
11-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Dave,
These pictures are just exceptional!, especially the one with everyone running up the hill- great atmosphere and strong "graphic" elements.
Love it.