PDA

View Full Version : ipod/headphones while running or cycling

yodelinpol
11-06-2008, 08:53 AM
If it is illegal to drive a vehicle while listening to ipod/headphone and the like (as it is in some states) should it be illegal to listen while on public roads when running or cycling?

The OT on runner's rage prompted me to ponder this...

opinions?

jhcakilmer
11-06-2008, 09:13 AM
IMO, it's just idiotic, if your out in the world you need to be able to "see" and "hear" what's going on around you (otherwise your liable to hurt yourself, or worse, someone else)......natural selection will probably take care of this problem, it's just a matter of time before it's outlawed....probably not soon enough, though.

stormyClouds
11-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Didn't we all agree to wait until at least January for the ipod/helmet/mirror/wave threads?

flickwet
11-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Inside only, outside my ears are enjoying the world around me and protecting me, I like to hear whats coming up behind me

Lifelover
11-06-2008, 09:47 AM
I use an Ipod when power walking in the Winter and have used it once or twice while riding solo.

You can still hear the outside world pretty well (assuming it's not blaring).

However, it can tend to make me lose a little bit of focus.

Just like helmets, I think if ridng solo, people should be able to do whatever they please.

From a legal stand point, I don't see how they are any more risk than listening to the radio in your car. You can crank it up so that you can hear the outside world and it can distract your attention.

dougblue
11-06-2008, 09:53 AM
I'll I-pod once in a while, but only while "off road" on the mountain bike or when riding with the wife on the local canal path. No way ever on the road.

Blue Jays
11-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Headphones are restricted to use within the four walls of my home, if at all.

tele
11-06-2008, 10:41 AM
i always wear my ipod while riding. however, i only listen in one ear and still hear the noises around me just fine.

Steve in SLO
11-06-2008, 11:16 AM
I have a cheap single earpiece for my iPod that I put in my right ear, keep the volume low, and keep an eye out using my Viewpoint mirror. I feel pretty safe and don't look too Fred-ish. It doesn't hurt that I ride on pretty lightly travelled roads...

Charles M
11-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Depends on the ear buds...

Low volume and basic ear buds mean you can still hear traffic.

High volume and / or high end in-ear canal sound sealing buds are, in my opinion, unsafe.

I have cheap, stock buds for the road and use a custom set of too damn expensive buds for flying or office/home.

jhcakilmer
11-06-2008, 01:30 PM
I'll I-pod once in a while, but only while "off road" on the mountain bike or when riding with the wife on the local canal path. No way ever on the road.

I'd say using it off-road is reasonably acceptable, IMO...still have to be aware of other riders/runners. Personally, I don't trust any driver, and am extremely defensive rider.....I don't want any other distractions when I'm on the road, plus why listen to music, when you can listen to your own rhythmic beat....organic, and acoustic.

I've got some car vs. bike, and car vs. motorcycle pics, if anyone needs some more convincing.....our emergency medicine lectures are good reality checks...2 ton cars always win!!

Blue Jays
11-06-2008, 01:49 PM
jhcakilmer, agreed.
Listening to headphone-delivered music on the road could be the "tipping disadvantage" a rider needs to turn a near-accident into an actual, injury-producing impact.
That's why I never use 'em.

GuyGadois
11-06-2008, 02:24 PM
I almost always listen to music riding. I put the earbud in my right ear at low volumes. I can still hear all the cars I want. Done it for years with no problems. Then again, I ride on roads where I see more deer and turkeys than drivers.

-GG-

fierte_poser
11-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Didn't we all agree to wait until at least January for the ipod/helmet/mirror/wave threads?

+1 :crap:

vqdriver
11-06-2008, 06:40 PM
i use my ipod on my regular route which is a bike path following the Los Angeles 'River' which is just a major storm drain. this is only possible because there's no cross traffic and with the other users, my speed is pretty leisurely. at any appreciable speed the wind buffeting makes it impossible to hear anything anyway. one ear in and i can hear joggers breathing and footsteps just fine.

of course, in such a metropolitan area, it would be near suicide to listen to headphones in traffic. but that's a self defeating endeavor anyway, since the sheer chaos of auto traffic requires that you amp up your ipod to deafening levels so as to hear anything. it's just not enjoyable at that point.

Frankwurst
11-06-2008, 07:22 PM

+1 more but..........
I have decided to not wave to people who wear iPods, don't wear helmets, use mirrors and wave to people who don't like to wave and I'll do this while wearing my iPod,without my helmet on while checking my mirror after waving. :beer:

victoryfactory
11-07-2008, 07:17 AM
Headphones are restricted to use within the four walls of my home, if at all.

...Don't forget those 15 hour flights to Asia....

VF

bigdeal
11-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Whether or not it's legal is determined state by state. It's illegal here in Cali, but every other rider I see is wearing earphones these days regardless. That said, if and when I 'need' music for a long ride I run the headphones inside and up the back of my jersey, then tuck the earphones under my bib shoulder straps, with the speakers directed towards my hears. (This is easier if you put on the bibs, then put the earphones in place with the cord hanging down your back.) Then plug in the iPod, crank up the volume, and pedal away knowing I can still hear most if not all traffic coming up on me and still have some nice background music. :cool:

Blue Jays
11-07-2008, 02:22 PM
"...Don't forget those 15 hour flights to Asia..."Naturally, yes. :beer:

Z3c
11-07-2008, 03:18 PM
While I tend to agree with the natural selection comments, I will ride once in awhile with only the right earbud in and a low volume setting. Only do it when riding solo on quiet roads.. Helps to pass the time.

Scott

Crazy Chris
11-07-2008, 04:55 PM
You'll put your eye out. No, wait. That's for a BB gun. I agree with the forum members who say don't use an earphone. Enjoy the peace and the scenery unimpeded.

mikki
11-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Whether or not it's legal is determined state by state. It's illegal here in Cali, but every other rider I see is wearing earphones these days regardless. That said, if and when I 'need' music for a long ride I run the headphones inside and up the back of my jersey, then tuck the earphones under my bib shoulder straps, with the speakers directed towards my hears. (This is easier if you put on the bibs, then put the earphones in place with the cord hanging down your back.) Then plug in the iPod, crank up the volume, and pedal away knowing I can still hear most if not all traffic coming up on me and still have some nice background music. :cool:

Actually, because I am researching the codes applicable to bicyclists here in California for my accident case, I leaned that to have BOTH ears covered by ear devices is illegal. One ear covered apparently, is still legal. The legislature might change that but the first priority is to keep us out of bankruptcy, so I doubt it will be on the agenda real soon.

Tony Edwards
11-08-2008, 10:39 AM
I think it's unsafe while riding but don't feel the same way about running.

onekgguy
11-08-2008, 10:56 AM
I've been riding with an mp3 player for at least the last 5 years with mileage between 6000-9000 miles a year. If it was unsafe I wouldn't be doing it.

Kevin g

A.L.Breguet
11-08-2008, 12:23 PM
In traffic, on open roads, it's foolish.
However, I do occassionally ride with an mp3 player in the park, but only early in the a.m. when there is virtually 0 traffic.

onekgguy
11-08-2008, 01:21 PM
In traffic, on open roads, it's foolish.
However, I do occassionally ride with an mp3 player in the park, but only early in the a.m. when there is virtually 0 traffic.

Nor would I be doing it if it were foolish.

Kevin g

Don
11-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Florida Legislative Statute 316.304 states

"A cyclist may not wear a headset, telephone or listening device, other than a hearing aid, while riding."

Unfortunately, there are many here who are "above the law."

A.L.Breguet
11-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Nor would I be doing it if it were foolish.

Kevin g

Well actually, foolishness has its place.

paczki
11-08-2008, 03:38 PM

Why must you bring up the fact that Manet won't post here anymore? :banana: :banana: :banana:

onekgguy
11-08-2008, 04:30 PM

Conversing with you comes to mind.

Kevin g

biker222
11-08-2008, 04:39 PM
In my opinion earbuds, headsets do not mix well while on the road. I like to here what is coming behind me especially them dumptrucks and tractor trailers so I can hug the edge of the road more closely.

stormyClouds
11-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Thumbs down on this topic.
If you like to listen to music when you ride - listen to it.
If you are against it - don't.
Pay attention to your surroundings either way and be safe when you are sharing the road with others.
This thread will be reduced to judging others and will get ugly. Again.

A.L.Breguet
11-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Conversing with you comes to mind.

Kevin g

meeow!

Lifelover
11-09-2008, 10:49 AM
This thread will be reduced to judging others and will get ugly. Again.

We are on page 3 of this thread. You made you opinion known on page 1. The most harsh word used has been "foolishness" (which did not seem to offend) and was used by a cat. Overall the thread has been very civil.

I find topics like this and even the dreaded "helmet" topic interesting. What this thread points out is that we all process stimulus differently. I'm fairly distracted by music and have never been able to do any kind of mental work (homework/office work) with it in the background. However, I know other people (my 15 y/o) who seem to be able to process quite good with it.

I suspect it the same for riding/running with it.

RIHans
11-10-2008, 02:02 AM
...Regarding what He's diggin' on his I-Pod. Ben, got a play-list?
Hit me up, I like all music, No Hip Hop, qualified, yo.