PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever try the Hudz brakehoods for Campy?

jberenyi
11-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Would love to hear end user comments on this product for Campy.

William
11-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Ask Ahneida Ride, I'm pretty sure he's been using them on his Campy bits.

William

keevon
11-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Haven't used them, but I understand that the Far & Near hoods available from Fairwheel Bikes fit better and stay cleaner than the Hudz. There are a number of discussions about both products on the Weight Weenies forum.

mschol17
11-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Far and Near hoods are the exact same fit and material as Campy hoods, except in colors. They're very nice.

JMerring
11-06-2008, 10:01 AM
i have hudz on campy. they look nice and feel nice, and i don't expect dirt issues 'cos they're gray. that said, when i push the thumb button down, they sometimes get stuck on the way up, though this is probably because my tape is a bit thick.

Auk
11-06-2008, 10:05 AM
The white Hud do get dirty easy, but it's white, where is the surprise? bit of simple green gets them back to shape.

Also, I just got a set of the gum color hudz. Very nice. Very very nice.

Ahneida Ride
11-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Yup I got em and love em ...

They have a flat spot. So I can actually use the hoods.
The rubber feels nice too.

Their quality control is questionable. Too many edges left over from the
injection mold process.

I give em 4 dancing bananas outa 5.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Michael Maddox
11-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Their quality control is questionable. Too many edges left over from the
injection mold process.

I concur. My Shimano-compatible Hudz are the same way. Lots of white "flash" left over from the mold edge. Easy to remove, sure, but still a bit sketchy QC if you're a company trying to build an image.

Bill Bove
11-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Had them for about a year now, they're beginning to wear a little thin. They are different, maybe better, maybe not, just different. I like them on the bike that they're on but I also like the Campy hoods on the other bike too.
Mine are pink and theydo get dirty but nothing that a rag and Simple Green can't handle.

keevon
11-06-2008, 11:43 AM
The white Hud do get dirty easy, but it's white, where is the surprise? bit of simple green gets them back to shape.

Also, I just got a set of the gum color hudz. Very nice. Very very nice.

Have a pic of levers with the gum hoods that'd you'd care to share?

NateM
11-06-2008, 12:02 PM
I used the Hudz in white for a spell.Slightly loose fit with crappy edges,a little more porous than the original Campy rubber. I switched to the Far and Near Hoods from Fairwheel Bikes and like them a lot better.They feel like the same rubber as the original Camy hoods and fit like them too.The rubber cleans up easier as it is not so porous.I can give you a nice deal on some slightly dirty white Hudz or a new pair in blue.

Auk
11-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Have a pic of levers with the gum hoods that'd you'd care to share?

Will snag a pic later tonight and post it.

dekindy
11-06-2008, 01:11 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=49963&highlight=hudz

I asked about Shimano in this thread but got several observations on Campy also.

Auk
11-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Excuse the lighting, as the color of the hoods are a much richer, darker color. Maybe two shades darker than the photo shows. Blame the floro lighting.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3066/3008800394_3b74576c02_o.jpg

wasfast
11-06-2008, 02:32 PM
I bought the Far and Near from Fairwheel and have been very happy (white on Campy). Supposedly a better fit.

Ahneida Ride
11-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Picture of white Hudz Hoods ...

Note how the edges could be trimmed a bit more discretely. :rolleyes:

old fat man
11-07-2008, 02:45 PM
i used a set of grey hudz this summer and they fell apart quickly. i was doing 100 miles/day and usually not wearing gloves but i found that they wore out and started stretching and tearing within 1500 miles. i've switched back to the original campy hoods and get a much tighter fit and many many more miles. plus, the cost of the campy hoods is no different than the hudz.

i wrote hudz to offer some feedback and they sent me a new pair. anyone want to buy a brand new pair of grey hudz for campy, send me a pm. :rolleyes:

i'd like to try the far and near ones though because i do like the colors.

wasfast
11-08-2008, 08:47 AM
I put 3500 miles on my Far and Near's this summer. Still look like new.