PDA

View Full Version : OT SPEED Cameras and...

Charles M
11-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Arizona must have sent someone to the UK...

We now have red light camera's on the street and "speed sensor" camera's that don't use radar on the freeways. That and a fleet of Radar Vans with Camera's.

24 of the mutherf*&^er$ added this month... Along with the half dozen on the freeways already here.

Now the "semi" cool part is that you still have to be served a ticket personally... Unless you respond in any way to the letter they send you, in which case you have confirmed being served and are now on the hook for the ticket. So you toss the mail and hope they don't send someone to your door (there is no penalty for them comming to your door except finally getting the ticket).

BUT THIS SUCKS... if you're "a speeder" round here.

I just bought an Escourt 9500iX that has a database and GPS so it calls out the camera's before you reach them. But damn it this is brutal...

johnnymossville
11-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Arizona must have sent someone to the UK...

We now have red light camera's on the street and "speed sensor" camera's that don't use radar on the freeways. That and a fleet of Radar Vans with Camera's.

24 of the mutherf*&^er$ added this month... Along with the half dozen on the freeways already here.

Now the "semi" cool part is that you still have to be served a ticket personally... Unless you respond in any way to the letter they send you, in which case you have confirmed being served and are now on the hook for the ticket. So you toss the mail and hope they don't send someone to your door (there is no penalty for them comming to your door except finally getting the ticket).

BUT THIS SUCKS... if you're "a speeder" round here.

I just bought an Escourt 9500iX that has a database and GPS so it calls out the camera's before you reach them. But damn it this is brutal...

LOL, best OT post I've seen in awhile. The day is coming where you will be mailed a ticket for every time you go a certain speed over the limit or don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign, etc,..., all built right into your car. They won't need roadside cameras. Tampering with the black box in any way will result in fines and/or imprisonment. Have Fun!

Charles M
11-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Godamnit bro...

You should have left that to the "saddest lyric's thread!

csm
11-05-2008, 09:56 AM
you can add poi (points of interest) to my nuvi for speed cameras, etc.
I have a ticket court date next month.
they really are taking all the fun out of driving.

johnnymossville
11-05-2008, 09:59 AM
At least they don't fine us for riding too fast in bicycle races,... yet.

Gothard
11-05-2008, 10:00 AM
At the risk of sounding obtuse, why don't we simply obey the rules? We won't change them by breaking them...

Volant
11-05-2008, 10:26 AM
At the risk of sounding obtuse, why don't we simply obey the rules? We won't change them by breaking them...

I only like to obey rules I had a hand in writing. ;) However, I don't agree with the expression, "Rules were made to be broken."

There's a legal battle going on right now in my state over the red-light cameras. Our laws state that your accuser must be present in court. Kind of hard to drag the camera in! Not only that, but the yellow lights got 'shortened' in order to boost revenues. That one went to court and the people won. The tickets got refunded and the yellow lights timing must be set at 3 secs. now (they were turned down to 1).

One more interesting note: where the red lights are in place, running of reds is down 26%. BUT, rear-end collisions are up 147%!!

Ken Robb
11-05-2008, 10:48 AM
in my area the time of yellow lights varies with the speed limit. It would be very tough to stop from 55mph in 3 seconds let alone 1 second.

csm
11-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Gothard, don't you live in the land of sensible speed limits?

Charles M
11-05-2008, 11:17 AM
There was a court case in AZ and it allowed the Camera to be considered evidence and an officer to be the accuser...

But you still have no penatly for ignoring your mailed tickets and you must be confirmed as "served notice". You can ignore the statements until someone serves you in person (which is an expensive process for a simple ticket).

There's another court case where someone is suing because the camera Flash startled them and caused them to swerve into another car.

In another case, the UK authorities are flaming because people are shooting the cameras with Paint balls. The balls are virtually impossible to see on video and if the car's not speeding, no pics are taken.

csm
11-05-2008, 11:20 AM
most of the US has banned loaded paintball guns in vehicles; I guess they saw this coming.

Gothard
11-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Gothard, don't you live in the land of sensible speed limits?

Very much so, and I have owned Porsches for a very long time. There are places to speed, certainly not where there are trafic lights and stop signs.
We must keep in mind how we react when a speeding driver blasts by us when we ride. Or walk. Or our kids walk.

csm
11-05-2008, 01:16 PM
I drive very cautiously on secondary streets and through neighborhoods. I stop completely at all stop signs and signals.
I occasionally let the car run a bit on interstates, etc.
I'd venture a guess that more accidents are caused due to idiots running stop signs and signals than are by just driving 10-15 mph over the limit on the highways.

Gothard
11-05-2008, 01:21 PM
CSM, fully agree. Here we are better off 5mph above not much more.
I agree that common sense is the main denominator. Until everyone acquires it, laws and rules are there to stay.

Charles M
11-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Redlight cameras are not so much the worry / problem for me. I am generally pretty tame on surface streets

It's the open road / freeway sensors set for speeds in the 60's that get me a little steamed...

It's made sections of the freeway very congested because of all the speed up / slow down stuff. Even the scottsdale PD say that the congestion is simply worse now, despite virtually no safety problems on the sectio of the 101 where they now have 4 sets of camera's.

ClutchCargo
11-05-2008, 01:48 PM
CSM, fully agree. Here we are better off 5mph above not much more.
I agree that common sense is the main denominator. Until everyone acquires it, laws and rules are there to stay.

Out of curiosity, what are the usual speed limits on the highways in your country?
cheers,
JH

Gothard
11-05-2008, 02:12 PM
75 mph on the highways, except for tunnels and near large towns/interchanges where it's 60mph.
50mph on main roads
30 mph in towns.

The cops are *not* funny about speed.

johnnymossville
11-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Out of curiosity, what are the usual speed limits on the highways in your country?
cheers,
JH

Interstates: I can hit 135 if I put my foot in it. ohhhhh, you meant posted speed limits. :p

csm
11-05-2008, 03:21 PM
I can get to 145 but it requires most of my attn. no cell phone calls, eating, or even drinking coffee.

sg8357
11-05-2008, 03:45 PM
What is the point of Kansas if you can't speed ?

If we are all limited to 70 mph cars would all be Civics and Miatas.

KJMUNC
11-05-2008, 04:58 PM
I got popped doing 175kph between Aachen and Maastricht last fall and was expecting a monster ticket. Lucky for me I moved and they haven't found me yet (knock on wood). Sure, I may not be allowed back into the Netherlands any time soon without paying the fine, but I can always fly into Brussels! :D