PDA

View Full Version : OT: Off Topic Politic

dshaner
11-04-2008, 04:45 PM
I propose that Serotta get rid of the off topic political threads altogether.

I come to the Serotta forum to read thoughtful prose from experienced riders about experiences with great bikes. When I want to talk with people who share my political views--or oppose them-- I can go to Huffington Post or The Drudge Report. If I want to share my political thoughts with my intimate cycling community, I can invite them to join me at one of those sites.

One may argue that the election will end a lot of this, however, after watching the responses to both democrat and republican wins over the past three decades, I will argue not.

This place can be a respite from it all, where we share experiences with great bikes and forget our petty and not-so-petty political differences.

Do I hear a second?

Chad Engle
11-04-2008, 04:48 PM
If that were the case you couldn't have posted this.

Don't read it if you don't like it. :beer:

Blue Jays
11-04-2008, 04:48 PM
ABSOLUTELY! :beer:

Viper
11-04-2008, 04:49 PM
"As far as I'm concerned, I prefer silent vice to ostentatious virtue."

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted."

~Einstein

Blue Jays
11-04-2008, 04:51 PM
You're onto a great point...

The genius behind the recent Finger Lakes Ramble was that politics weren't raised in conversation from casual observation.
Everyone chatted about bikes and a tremendous volume of incredible information was exchanged. The same could occur here online.

William
11-04-2008, 04:59 PM
If that were the case you couldn't have posted this.

Don't read it if you don't like it. :beer:

Agreed 100%

Be responsible for your own actions. There is lots of bike content here if you just open the correct threads.

Not sure about the subject? Hold your cursor over the title of the thread and you'll get a pop-up of the first few lines of text. Tells you what you need to know without opening it 99% of the time.

IMHO :)

William

capybaras
11-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Agreed 100%

Be responsible for your own actions. There is lots of bike content here if you just open the correct threads.

Not sure about the subject? Hold your cursor over the title of the thread and you'll get a pop-up of the first few lines of text. Tells you what you need to know without opening it 99% of the time.

IMHO :)

William

+1 :banana:

Ahneida Ride
11-04-2008, 05:08 PM
and what exactly is the definition of Political ????

and who determines that distinct definition ????

ti_boi
11-04-2008, 05:08 PM
What we really need is another bottom bracket thread.....Oh Joy. :beer:

capybaras
11-04-2008, 05:18 PM
What we really need is another bottom bracket thread.....Oh Joy. :beer:

How about a thread about how you're supposed to use your gluts to pedal a bike. . . Who knew??? :confused:

Viper
11-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Freedom of speech. Liberty. These are more than just words, these are the inner core, the very foundation for these United States and while yes, businesses and homes can curb, monitor or suppress, if there is anything we know to be true it's that, "You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire. Once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher."

I rode a Big Wheel.
I rode a tricycle.
I rode a Schwinn Stingray with training wheels.
I rode a Schwinn Collegiate Sport.
I rode a Hutch Superstar.
I rode a Centurion Ironman.
I rode LeMond Alpe d'Huez.
I rode a Sante Pogliaghi.
I rode a Merckx Corsa.
I rode a Colnago Tecnos.
I rode a Colnago Dream.
I rode a Waterford 1100.
I rode a Pinarello Prince.
I rode a Serotta Club Special.
I will ride a Custom DeSalvo.
I only ride Campagnolo.
I am a Ronald Wilson Reagan worshipper.

And today I voted for Barack Obama. If that ain't liberty and freedom, what is? Affirmative action officially ends tonight. Win or lose, the man from Chicago is a winner. Michael rowed the boat, tonight it's ashore. Tonight Stephen Bantu Biko's hope and Martin Luther King's dream, they wake up. This country would do well with either candidate as the victor, but tonight, the world, which is watching, they get a gift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLg-8Jxi5aE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hjDzc8k-2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca5rKIolRXE&feature=related

:beer:

fiamme red
11-04-2008, 07:36 PM
This place can be a respite from it all, where we share experiences with great bikes and forget our petty and not-so-petty political differences.So this is your first post; instead of complaining about the forum's political content, why don't you start an interesting bike-related thread? Or even a beer-related thread? :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
11-04-2008, 09:02 PM
. . . is EVERYBODY pissed off tonight? I'm gonna have another beer and try to figure out why Charlie Gibson and George Stephanapodoppoplis are fighting over that d@mn touch screen map on ABC. :beer:

BBD

Lifelover
11-05-2008, 05:16 AM
This thread reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw. It read:

Ban Bumper stickers!

michael white
11-05-2008, 05:42 AM
Freedom of speech. Liberty. These are more than just words, these are the inner core, the very foundation for these United States and while yes, businesses and homes can curb, monitor or suppress, if there is anything we know to be true it's that, "You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire. Once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher."

I rode a Big Wheel.
I rode a tricycle.
I rode a Schwinn Stingray with training wheels.
I rode a Schwinn Collegiate Sport.
I rode a Hutch Superstar.
I rode a Centurion Ironman.
I rode LeMond Alpe d'Huez.
I rode a Sante Pogliaghi.
I rode a Merckx Corsa.
I rode a Colnago Tecnos.
I rode a Colnago Dream.
I rode a Waterford 1100.
I rode a Pinarello Prince.
I rode a Serotta Club Special.
I will ride a Custom DeSalvo.
I only ride Campagnolo.
I am a Ronald Wilson Reagan worshipper.

And today I voted for Barack Obama. If that ain't liberty and freedom, what is? Affirmative action officially ends tonight. Win or lose, the man from Chicago is a winner. Michael rowed the boat, tonight it's ashore. Tonight Stephen Bantu Biko's hope and Martin Luther King's dream, they wake up. This country would do well with either candidate as the victor, but tonight, the world, which is watching, they get a gift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLg-8Jxi5aE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hjDzc8k-2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca5rKIolRXE&feature=related

:beer:

a really great post.

More Americans voted this time than anytime since 1908. One way or another, people believe. This is a great moment for us; no one alive has ever seen such an affirmation of democracy, and we will likely not see anything similar for another century.