PDA

View Full Version : disk brake maintenance question

stackie
11-04-2008, 12:58 PM
I have Shimano Alfine Hydraulic Disk brakes. The inner pad seems to be rubbing a bit on the rotor for about 1/4 of it's diameter. This is new. I don't think the rotor is warped enough to be out of spec. It really looks like the inner pad is just too close to the rotor.

I've looked at the Shimano installation sheet, and they are basically saying to take the wheel and pads out and set up the whole system again. I don't even think I have the pad spacer to do this.

Is there another way to solve this problem? The system has been in use less than 6 months. I did just do a 1 hour ride in the rain yesterday, but I would hope that would not cause this problem.

TIA

Jon

gdw
11-04-2008, 01:41 PM
I haven't worked with that model but it pobably is similar to their other hydraulics disks.

Check the mounting bolts first to see if they are still tight. If they aren't, realign the caliper and tighten down the bolts. If the alignment isn't an issue take the pads out and try pushing the inner piston slightly back into the caliper body with a plastic tire iron. Hopefully that will reset it just enough to stop the rubbing. If that doesn't work, check Park's site, http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=126
and follow the instructions on Resetting Brake Pads. Good luck.