PDA

View Full Version : Price of Wool!!!

Moveitfred
11-12-2004, 07:51 AM
For the last couple of years I've been yearning for one of the classy wool jerseys from Vintage Velos http://www.vintagevelos.com/trainers1.html. Last year, if I recall correctly, the price was around 150 bucks--a good chunk of change, but I figured something worth saving for. This year they've gone up to 205 bucks. Yikes! What's the deal? Have sheep suddenly become an endangered species?

William
11-12-2004, 08:03 AM
Two words:

SMART SHEEP.

I saw some just yesterday in the Performance catalog. Probably not as nice as the oned you were looking at...but then again, they were no where near $200. :no:

William :)

BdaGhisallo
11-12-2004, 08:06 AM
Just checked the site and the jerseys are still $129. What you are referring to are the 'trainers'. They are heavier than jerseys and are more akin to jackets. Still expensive but just thought I would clarify a little.

Bill Bove
11-12-2004, 08:09 AM
Only a tree hugging lefty would want to eschew a petroleum based fabric in favor of the renewable/regrowable wool, and as we all know, the sheep went right. :argue:

Lost Weekend
11-12-2004, 08:11 AM
Sheep Lie!!!

dirtdigger88
11-12-2004, 08:33 AM
I don't think the sheep have as much to do with it as the unions representing them. ;)

Jason

christian
11-12-2004, 08:41 AM
In all seriousness, the weakness of the dollar is making all import prices go up. A weak dollar is good for American businesses exports, but crappy for the American consumer who buys foreign goods.

- Christian

dirtdigger88
11-12-2004, 08:52 AM
Lets get some money together- buy some land- and grow some wool. What kind of seed do you need to grow wool?

Jason

M_A_Martin
11-12-2004, 09:04 AM
Yeah, but American farmers only get between 25 and 55 cents a pound for raw wool...unless you sell to handspinners and other craftspeople, then you can get $3-7 a pound for it...up to $15/lb if you have a fancy sheep...

And that hasn't changed much since I used to raise sheep.

(I'll volunteer to be the Serotta shepard if you like...I have lots of experience raising sheep for wool. [see now...if I were a guy and said that I had lots of experience with sheep...baaaaaad] )

William
11-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Don't forget about the Billions, and Billions (how do you like my Carl Sagen impression? :rolleyes: ) of $$ the corporate farms/ranches get in (welfare... though they don't call it that) subsidies. Can anyone say Con-Agra?

What does that have to do with the price of wool jerseys William...you say?

I don't know, I was up all night, I need Coffee NOW!!

(grumble, grumble)

William

dirtdigger88
11-12-2004, 09:10 AM
MA-

I am glad you beat us to the jokes about you "experience" with sheep.

Now bend over and say bahaaaa........ :p

Jason

Ken Robb
11-12-2004, 09:24 AM
the Rivendell WoolieWarm jerseys are the very nicest I have ever seen. No itch for me and I'm very sensitive to wool. $75.