PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar suggestions ?

Smiley
11-12-2004, 06:54 AM
The Captain has recommended the Salsa Brand of handlebars to all that see him . I like them cause they are easy to attain ( Quality Product carries them so all LBS can get them ) plus they come in THREE distintive shapes , Pro , Short and Shallow and Poco .
I use a POCO on my Fixiee and have used for years the Ritchey Classic Drop bars on my beloved Hors . I am thinking of making the change to a Short and Shallow on the Hors so I can mount my ShimaNo brake hoods in a higher spot , currently the bend on the Classic Drop Ritcheys is OK but in pursuit of excelllence I am willing to try something new.
Any suggestions from the gallery on a 8.2 reach bar by say 13-14 cm drop with an ergo bend ? Much thanks for any ideas or I'll swap a Salsa on soon .

Kevan
11-12-2004, 07:12 AM
http://www.eastonbike.com/downloadable_files/other_pdf/Road%20bar%20info.pdf

Michael Katz
11-12-2004, 07:32 AM
Take a look at the Cinelli Neo bars in aluminum. http://www.cinelli.it/eng/bici/curve/index.html

dbrk
11-12-2004, 08:01 AM
I am simply unwilling to pay the price of any carbon bar. That said, I like Ritcheys 'cause you can get them mailorder and they are cheap and there are all sorts of bends (including some round and flat tops) and they never break (not on me). Carbon bars still scare me, not just financially.

dbrk

Len J
11-12-2004, 08:11 AM
Nitto STI bars. I'm not sure of the model number, but Nitto has a very comfortabl bar that has a ergo bend in both a short reach and drop, and ragular and, most important to me, a flat bar to the hoods. The mounting position for the STI hoods is too low for me, but I just mount them a little higher. I use the regular reach and drop model but my LBS told me about the short reach "Poco" type.

Allen's in Wilmingotn can give you more specific info and get the bars for you.

Len

pale scotsman
11-12-2004, 08:17 AM
Sir Smiley - I'm kinda partial to the Ritchey Pro handlebar. It's a 82/143 and you can bring them thar hoods right up where they belong. Best of all they are reliable and cheap in the grand scheme of things. Lickbike has 'em for ~$40 if you are interested. :)

Ian

Bruce K
11-12-2004, 08:22 AM
3TTT Prima 199. Light. Fairly Cheap. Shorter reach and drop than most.

I am using this bar on every bike but the Ottrott (Modolo Curvissima).

BK

Matt Barkley
11-12-2004, 08:34 AM
Ritchey..... but maybe.... even.... better... Deda bars. Deda has shallow drop anatomicals you may want to give a shot. The fit and finish on all Deda products I believe to be a step higher than most other manufacturer's. :)

Too Tall
11-12-2004, 08:38 AM
Len, you might be talking about the Nitto Noodle bar. Agreed, bikes I've seen setup with Campag ,at least, have much flat real estate behind the hoods and a great set of traditional hooks.

SirSmilesAlot, didn't know you were a barfly.

Big Dan
11-12-2004, 08:41 AM
I like the Ritchey Pro , lots of room on top , square, flat and wide... :D

csb
11-12-2004, 08:48 AM
deda 215

coylifut
11-12-2004, 08:50 AM
BTW the Pros are a lot stronger than the WCS, much less $ and easy to find.

Len J
11-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Too Tall: I don't think so.....I've seen those. This was a new bar that Nitto just came out with this year. I thinkthis is it.

Shorter reach bar (9.2)
http://store.yahoo.com/momovelo/nitto114.html

Longer reach bar. This is on all my bikes.
http://store.yahoo.com/momovelo/nitto184.html

Len

Keith A
11-12-2004, 09:58 AM
dbrk -- sometimes you are just so right.

As far as the bars go, I understand you are looking for anatomic designs -- but I have to add that the Deda 215 Italian Classic (shallow) shape is my favorite handlebar. The Ritchey's WCS Classic Road Bar is a close 2nd, but I prefer the Deda.

I've tried many of the anatomic designs and just never found one that was a comfortable to me. The TTT shape was the best of the bunch. With all the anatomically designs, you have to have your hands in the sweet spot to be comfortable in the drops -- anything else just doesn't work.

It is interesting to note how many of the pros use the classic road shape instead of the anatomic ones. Yet, most of the mailorder places only carry anatomic bars :confused:

mavic1010
11-12-2004, 10:11 AM
I am a deda fan, so I like the deda 215's...however, deda doesn't offer the newton 26.0 stem in an 86 degree, therefore I've had to switch to a 31.8 newton 86 degree with the shallow drop newton bars. I just love the way shallow drop feels and the way it looks...kinda retro with all these ergo bend bars now.

Smiley
11-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Keith A , I currently use the Ritchey Classic shallow drop bars and really love them on the Hors and Tandem , but think I could find a bar with a flatter section near the top for a better hood placement . I think the Short and Shallow fit this bill best , but since I have so many bars at home to use with the size cycle its a safer bet to try , just thought I see what others thought . Thanks to all so far .

Far Rider
11-12-2004, 01:10 PM
You might look at the new Bontrager 'Flat Top' bars. They sound exactly like what you are describing.

keno
11-12-2004, 01:12 PM
are these Nitto bars measured outside-outside or center-center? The Noodles and Dreams are c-c.

keno

Len J
11-12-2004, 01:21 PM
are these Nitto bars measured outside-outside or center-center? The Noodles and Dreams are c-c.

keno

I think it's C to C but I'll check when I get home and let you know.

Len

Len J
11-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Keith A , I currently use the Ritchey Classic shallow drop bars and really love them on the Hors and Tandem , but think I could find a bar with a flatter section near the top for a better hood placement . I think the Short and Shallow fit this bill best , but since I have so many bars at home to use with the size cycle its a safer bet to try , just thought I see what others thought . Thanks to all so far .

The Nitto's are flat on top, which is one of the things I like.......Smiley, if you want to try them, let me know, I've got them on both the Legen & the Ottrott.. although in the longer reach version.

Len

Keith A
11-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Smiley -- Have you tried the Deda 215 Shallow drops yet? The shape and dimensions are very similar to the Ritchey's, however my hands are more comfortable with the Deda's in the area where the bar bends toward the shift levers. They are certainly worth trying out while you are looking at alternatives.

BumpyintheBurgh
11-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Like the Ritchey Biomax with the 130mm drop , 75mm reach and flared. The shallow drop and short reach plus the ergo hand position makes it much more comfortable on my back and wrists when riding in the drops.

Len J
11-12-2004, 09:16 PM

keno

Keno:

I measured tonight. They are measured center to center.

Len