PDA

View Full Version : Legend Ti drain hole?

jeffg
11-02-2008, 11:47 AM
It looks my 2003 Legend does not have a drain hole in the bottom bracket shell. Is that typical? I generally do not ride the Legend in the rain, but man it is the perfect (rain) bike ... I went out in a pretty big downpour yesterday evening and it just sang up a local climb (Huddard Park repeats -- to stay off the roads with downed branches and too many drivers)

Does anyone do much more than pull out the seat post, drain the water out and make sure to oil/lube stuff more?

Thanks!

quattro
11-02-2008, 01:27 PM
I had a IF Crown ???el Ti frame, when I removed the ultegra BB to change it to a DA I was amazed, there were no threads left! The thing had corroded in less than two years. I brought the frame back to IF as I live near their facility and they drilled a drain hole for me, seemed to do the trick. The frame won't get damaged, but watch out for anything that is not Ti attached to the BB.

quattro

Ahneida Ride
11-02-2008, 02:07 PM
No screw to hold in the little Pastic slider dookicky for the cables ????

Very important to get water out ...

11-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Serotta ships Legends with a non-stainless bolt to hold the bottom bracket cable guide. Why, I do not know. It corrodes rapidly and the corrosive salts damage the bottom bracket cartridge and anything else nearby. I always remove it and insert a short stainless button-head bolt.

Beyond that, it depends on the vintage of your frame. For the last 3-4 years the bottom bracket has been milled out so there's been no question about water collecting. Prior to that for some years, there was an extra hole drilled in the bottom bracket for drainage. If you don't have one, it's not hard to drill but needs a high quality high speed bit to drill decently. Use a centerpunch to mark the spot so the drill bit doesn't wander, then drill at high speed with a cobalt or TiN bit. A framebuilder can also drill it or even mill a short slot (which is less prone to clogging) with little effort if you have one nearby.

jeffg
11-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Serotta ships Legends with a non-stainless bolt to hold the bottom bracket cable guide. Why, I do not know. It corrodes rapidly and the corrosive salts damage the bottom bracket cartridge and anything else nearby. I always remove it and insert a short stainless button-head bolt.

Beyond that, it depends on the vintage of your frame. For the last 3-4 years the bottom bracket has been milled out so there's been no question about water collecting. Prior to that for some years, there was an extra hole drilled in the bottom bracket for drainage. If you don't have one, it's not hard to drill but needs a high quality high speed bit to drill decently. Use a centerpunch to mark the spot so the drill bit doesn't wander, then drill at high speed with a cobalt or TiN bit. A framebuilder can also drill it or even mill a short slot (which is less prone to clogging) with little effort if you have one nearby.

Spot on. The bike has been ridden in the rain probably 2-3 times in 5 years but that non-stainless bolt is ready to be replaced. The Pegs just have a hole drilled in the BB shell. I guess I will look for a replacement screw ...