PDA

View Full Version : total cycling

h5gcarb0n
11-02-2008, 10:09 AM
they have some great deals and wanted to know how many of you use them to get things shipped here in U.S . and how well their customer service is.

thanks

BumbleBeeDave
11-02-2008, 10:31 AM
. . . a few years ago and service was quick. I didn't order again because they added VAT to my credit card total, but nothing was said about this during the ordering process. Since then I've ordered from ProBikeKit because they were up front about VAT and had a list on their site about what exported products had VAt applied and not. Turns out tires do not have VAT. I know TC is in Ireland and PBK is in England. Not sure if that was the reason or not.

There have been threads about TC before. Do a thread title search and you'll find out more.

BBD

h5gcarb0n
11-02-2008, 10:58 AM
thanks for the reply ill search again :D

BumbleBeeDave
11-02-2008, 11:25 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=50496&highlight=total

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=15894&highlight=total

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=13923&highlight=total

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=3254&highlight=total

As you can see, many others have had positive experiences with them. Note that I haven't checked their shipping lately. If I could be assured of no unexpected VAt, I'd order again from them in a second.

It's also worth watching ProBikeKit's site or get on their mailing list for their specials on consumables. I've gotten some really screamin' deals on Vittoria Open Corsa CX tires and Keo pedals from them . . .

BBD

TimD
11-02-2008, 03:48 PM

djg
11-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Nothing lately, but I've bought a few components from them over the years -- good prices, prompt shipping, and no hassles.

athenasoar
11-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Good experience. Shipping speed comparable to PBK. Only slight qualm was that the groupset wasn't packed as nicely as a groupset I ordered from PBK. There was some clanging before I opened the box, and my pretty 2009 Centaur brifters were falling out of their OEM box. No noticeable damage, though.

Marcusaurelius
11-02-2008, 10:29 PM
I've ordered many times from them and had very good service. I am puzzled by VAT since that only applies to people living in Europe.

I've yet to find anyone with better prices on campagnolo parts.

Dave
11-03-2008, 09:02 AM
There is never any VAT, since that is a European tax, but some items can be charged a US tariff, particularly frames.

I had a recent bad experience, but got it settled after a few weeks. I ordered a 5-piece 11 speed conversion group, but got nothing after 12 days. My credit card was charged the full amount, only a couple of days after I placed the order, so I assumed my order had shipped. I sent an e-mail asking about my order status, each day for three days and got no response until I threatened to dispute the credit card charge. That finally got a response, telling me that the 11-25 cassette was back ordered. I decided to just cancel the order at that point. More problems arose when I was reimbursed for the 570 GDP charge. I was charged nearly 30USD in foreign currency exchange fees and the value of the pound dropped a lot in the three weeks that had passed before the reimbursement. The net result was a loss of 114 USD. A couple more e-mails got the rest of my money back, but TC refused to admit that the problem was their fault - charging my card before they had the product to ship. No company normally charges your credit card until the product is ready to ship. They goofed, but blamed me, since I cancelled the ordered. Since I got all of my money back, I didn't want to argue about who was at fault. They also claimed to have sent me an e-mail about the backorder, but I never got it and never gave them any instructions on how to handle the backorder. Either way, my card should never have been charged, unless they shipped me something.

Most often, a company will ship all items in stock then send the backordered items when they become available, with no additional freight charge. That would have been acceptable too, but I'd still be waiting for the cassette.

Volant
11-03-2008, 09:09 AM
I haven't used TC, but if you're looking at something comparable on PBK, I've used them and I was pleased with their service (takes about 8 days to arrive). No shipping charges at PBK right now.

fierte_poser
11-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Bought an out of production record triple 172.5mm crankset from them in 2008. Prompt shipping. Great pricing.

Crazy Chris
11-03-2008, 04:26 PM
I have had one order promptly filled by TC years ago. They are located in Northern Ireland, hence are part of the UK, as is PBK. I tried to order some Conti Gatorskins from PBK, was told they were out, and left them my email address for notification when they were in stock. They sent an email shortly after that and told me the tires were in. I tried to order them a second time and was told they were out, but to leave my email address, blah, blah, blah. Not a good loop to be in. Any ideas on where to find these tires at similar prices?

Thanks.

cw05
11-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Anyone have any idea if there is a US customs excise tax if one purchases over a specific amount? Total Cycling used to have this info on their website the last time I ordered from them ~5 years ago.

thinpin
11-04-2008, 05:25 AM
I've ordered many times from them and had very good service. I am puzzled by VAT since that only applies to people living in Europe.

I've yet to find anyone with better prices on campagnolo parts.

www.ribblecycles.co.uk and better stock than TC and probikekit

acorn_user
11-04-2008, 11:15 AM
www.bike24.com and some of the other German online shops have great Campagnolo pricing too.