PDA

View Full Version : OT: RIP Studs Terkel

rwsaunders
10-31-2008, 07:19 PM
The Good War was a book that I had a hard time putting down.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/10/31/studs.terkel.obit/index.html

Ken Robb
11-01-2008, 09:17 AM
when I was a child he had a tv show in Chicago :"Studs' Place" and was quite a local celebrity. I was too young to really appreciate the show but I could tell he was witty and charming.

I'm too lazy to look through our library to confirm the title of another of his books but I think it is "Sez Me".

Louis
11-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Yesterday I happened to turn on the radio toward the end of a news story covering this. All I heard was something about the death an old guy known for gritty stories about America and I knew right away that it must have been Studs.

rcnute
11-01-2008, 12:16 PM
I liked Working and Hard Times.

Road Fan
11-01-2008, 02:01 PM
There's a bit of family connection here, for me! My mother grew up next door to where his mother lived, back in Humboldt Park, an old Chicago neighborhood. I grew up listening to him on the radio.

A great man, he's gone but he has left a fine legacy.

Road Fan

Ray
11-01-2008, 02:20 PM
A great guy who did great work for years. And he was also blacklisted from working in Hollywood during the McCarthy hearings in the 50s. But now he's acknowledged as a fine American and a beloved guy. A lesson there somewhere about name calling, labeling, and demonization of public figures.

RIP indeed.

-Ray

trophyoftexas
11-01-2008, 10:43 PM
....one of my all time favorite reads....he played a pretty cool part in Eight Men Out, too!