PDA

View Full Version : Joe Young Wheels

Chief
11-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Yesterday I took a ride into the beautiful Texas hill country north of Fredericksburg to pick up my new wheels that Joe Young built for me. These wheels have all DT components: all black Hugi 240S hubs, RR 1.1 wheels, Super Comp triple butted spokes and alloy nipples. They are very professional looking hoops. I have never seen wheels that are as laterally and radially true as these. Joe also provided me with values for the tension in the spokes. There has been some question in this forum about Hugi hubs. The new 240S are very smooth rolling (Joe claims smoother than Campy and Shimano hubs which he was going to demonstrate, but didn't have a wheel with either hub.) and emit a quite distinctive, but unobtrusive, sound. Before I left with my wheels, I asked Joe, "Should I take along a couple of spokes." He looked at me with a kind of quizzical expression and said, "If you break a spoke, send the wheel back to me and I will take care of it." Dealing with such a master is very reassuring.

This morning I rode the wheels in a 40-mile group ride that includes some good hills. It was about 55 degrees with winds at 20+ mph with gusts out of the north. I must say that these wheels exceed my expectations. Not only are they extremely smooooooth as silk (perhaps because I was all psyched up or what about these wheels) and they seemed incredibly fast and very responsive. They handled great in the wind, unlike the Ksyriums SL that I have been riding of late which with the bladed spokes makes riding in a cross wind difficult and interesting to say the least. Unlike my Velomax Ascent II they appear to wind up faster and be more responsive. They really get out and go, and I can kick some serious butt with them which is saying something for a guy who is going to be 67 in a few months. I find the Hugi rear hub to feel like it is always engaged so that when one goes from freewheeling to pedaling you immediately have an instantaneous positive smooth engagement unlike hubs with pawls were there is a momentary hesitation before the pawls engage. The noise from the hub does not seem objectionable. Last night when I had the bike on a stand, the hub made a distinctive sound coasting down from a high speed. This morning neither I nor other riders could hear the hub on the road. That may be due to the strong headwind we were experiencing, but with a tailwind I did not hear any objectionable noise while freewheeling. Everything that Joe said about these wheels was confirmed this morning. I am the kind of person who likes unique or distinctive things and these wheels really fulfill that bill. I have never seen any other wheel as laterally and radially true as these. Moreover, to have them built a renown wheel builder as Joe Young is just frosting on that cake. I only assume that these wheels will get better as the hubs break-in.

The cost of these wheels were slightly greater than $600 which is comparable to the cost for Ksyriums SL and Velomax Ascent II after a deep discount by my LBS. Do you think that I think they are worth it? You bet, no question about it. It is a pleasure to have a set of wheels built by a master wheelbuilder and craftsman, Joe Young, who takes real pride in his work. If any of you are contemplating new wheels, you should seriously consider contacting Joe at www.youngwheels.com. You won't regret it.

coylifut
11-11-2004, 03:01 PM
They really get out and go, and I can kick some serious butt with them which is saying something for a guy who is going to be 67 in a few months.

These are the comments that have me spending far too much time hanging out here. Thanks for the report.

Smiley
11-11-2004, 04:05 PM
I have said it before , no point in buying expensive Gucci wheels like Shimano or Mavic when a good wheel builder like Mr Young and others that have been mentioned can make a custom set of wheels to suit you weight and riding style. I reccomend to all that see me for a custom bike to pay more attention to the wheels NOT the latest fads . Good for you Chief , I commented to Sandy today on our 45 miler how much I have enjoyed the ride of my hand built wheels by Alchemy Bicycle works , Jeremy Parafit whom built them to my spec and is building a custom set for my wife . Yes price was also in the mid $ 500 range too .

Climb01742
11-11-2004, 04:40 PM
i've been doing a lot of riding lately with one thing in mind--testing the difference that different frame/wheel combo's can make. i know that other, smarter, more experienced riders already know this, but its been brought home to me lately very dramatically...in a lot of ways, the wheels make the frame...or to be more precise, different wheels can make the same frame ride two completely different ways. i almost have come to believe that frames should be designed with certain wheels in mind...or that builders/LBS should more forcefully, knowledgeably discuss this with riders. custom made wheels are making more and more sense to me...tuning them just the way builders tune frames.

Kiddoh
02-20-2009, 05:28 PM
I had the exact same experience as Chief with Joe Young except for two differences- I bought my wheels from him in 2007 and I did it from Japan. Joe worked with me through email and was very responsive. I have the black DT hubs, spokes, 1.1 rims- same as chief. About $700 shipped to Japan. They are strong, light and durable....with that low-emitting sound of the rear.

I told Joe I was shopping Mavic and others...and he said his hand-builts and DT hubs would best any mass-produced wheelset (of similar stature). He said with normal riding conditions, they shouldn't go out of true...period.

Also, I wanted to replace a spoke if needed without anything special (like tool or actual spoke)...a la Mavic. Don't get me wrong, though- my riding buddy has had zero problems on his 2004 Ksyrium SLs. They look great and ride even better for him.

But if you're still not sure, take a look at any Mavic recalls in the last five years. Then check DT recalls (hubs and rims). Then shoot Joe an email- he asked for weight, height, riding style and some other measurements. Check his resume.

Plus, with Joe you're supporting an artist...with wheel-building being a master's craft.

I sent back my Ksyrium ESs after riding Joe's wheels and the ESs (I ordered both to test). They felt the same...but I was thinking for the long haul...like being 50 miles out on a ride and a spoke goes...or thinking..."How durable is a mass-produced carbon hub with 18 spokes in it" (like the first versions of the ESs)?

No regrets at all for my black DT hubs, black 1.1 RR rims and black spokes..at 67kg/145 lbs, 5', 9".

Regards,
Kiddoh

(Set-up- DeRosa Team frame, Look HSC 4 carbon fork (separate purchase), Campy Record CT cranks/Record groupo, Pearl Izumi/Assos gear, Sidi Genius shoes, Time pedals, Sigma 1106 computer/cadence; other ride: Santa Cruz Blur mtb bike with XTR group, raceface deus xc cranks, Mavic 819 wheelset)

Kiddoh
02-20-2009, 05:31 PM
...when I said "sent back" my ESs, I meant sold though a private sale online.

--K

e-RICHIE
02-20-2009, 05:57 PM
wowmo -
a 4 1/2 year old thread resurrected for all the right reasons atmo.
ps nothing here except joe young handmade wheels. he's my man.

Climb01742
02-20-2009, 06:04 PM
must be some sort of record for a thread being reincarnated/resurrected.

Pete Serotta
02-20-2009, 06:05 PM
I have a pair of wheels that I brought via e-richie (when I got a SACHs) a few years ago. They are still "true" and ride well. If I needed another set of wheels, they would be from Joe. :) :)

92degrees
02-20-2009, 06:15 PM
what goes on the internet stays on the internet

e-RICHIE
02-20-2009, 06:28 PM
what goes on the internet stays on the internet

zen from all of us atmo.
just sayin'.

quattro
02-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I had Joe build me the same set of wheels using the DT 240s hubs, RR 1.1 rims and Super Comp triple butted spokes, they are as true as the day I put them on my bike about three years ago. They are a joy to ride, Joe is a class act and his wheels are well worth the price.

Lance Armstrong
02-20-2009, 06:50 PM
zen from all of us atmo.
just sayin'.

He is an honorary Texan......

Chief
02-20-2009, 07:00 PM
I had some rim cracking issues with Joe Young built rear wheel through no fault of his own. When DT went to double eyelets the cracking issue disappeared. I now have over 19,000 miles on the last built rear wheel and over 34,000 miles on the original built front wheel. Neither wheel has seen a spoke wrench since Joe built them and they are running as true today as the day I got them. Would I buy another set of wheels from Joe? You betcha!

trophyoftexas
02-20-2009, 07:03 PM
....don't go lookin' for Joe around F-burg anymore, he moved up near Fort Worth/Granbury about a year or so ago! He's 100 miles closer to me now but harder to go see since I always rode a lot around Austin/Fredericksburg but NEVER around Fort Worth. He's pretty well hidden at his new place so internet or phone is by far the best way to work with him....which I hate 'cause he was always such an interesting person to visit with in person!

e-RICHIE
02-20-2009, 07:15 PM
i like 'em young atmo.
i guess we all do huh.

bigbill
02-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Just rode home from work on my Joe Young wheels. Velocity Deep V, PW hubs, and 36 supercomp spokes. I don't even think about them, the way a set of wheels should be.

e-RICHIE
02-20-2009, 07:33 PM
joe young built the wheels on my show bikes for nahbs atmo.
well, except for the cane creeks that are on the 'cross bikes
since CC is a team sponsor. but really atmo who's counting?

dekindy
02-20-2009, 09:05 PM
I have not been hanging out here long enough to know that Joe Young was so well respected on the forum. I have definitely heard of him and have seen him recommended and complimented on other forums. Good to know.

Jack Brunk
02-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Does Joe build wheels with carbon?

jscottyk
02-20-2009, 09:32 PM
+1 on Joe Young. I think I've had a set (or two) of his wheels from every location Joe has been in the last few years. Boston, Fredericksburg, and now Granbury. All of them true as the needle to the pole and solid as a stone.

rwsaunders
02-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Does Joe build wheels with carbon?

Jack....Joe has ZIPP rims listed on his site...there's also an information inquiry sheet on his site that might be helpful to you.

http://www.youngwheels.com/prices_rims-spokes.html

pde
02-20-2009, 09:54 PM
I just had Joe build a set of wheels for me; they arrived at my house on Wednesday evening. 240s, DT Competition spokes, and... a pair of SSC Paris-Roubaix rims that I supplied :D

Absolute artwork, they are.

It's day 2 of the gluing process, and I gotta say I have never been more eager to get a set of tires glued up.

Jack Brunk
02-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Jack....Joe has ZIPP rims listed on his site...there's also an information inquiry sheet on his site that might be helpful to you.

http://www.youngwheels.com/prices_rims-spokes.html
Thanks RW.

Blue Jays
02-21-2009, 12:37 AM
Wow, great reviews that will help my next wheel purchase decision!

roguedog
02-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Yeah.. good stuff. Woo hoo.. another way to spend $ I oughtn't. heh.

Bob Ross
02-21-2009, 07:31 PM
nothing here except joe young handmade wheels. he's my man.

I must admit, I learned of Joe Young's existence from e-Richie's comments (both on his website and on forums such as this), figured if they were good enough for a Sachs they must be pretty fine indeed...

But I finally/just recently had Joe build me an "everyday" wheelset that wound up being identical to the OP's: DT Swiss 240s hubs, RR1.1 rims, SuperComp spokes (28, 2-cross front & back). After gazing fawningly at these for almost 6 weeks waiting for the weather to break, I finally took them for their maiden voyage today.

Yeah. These wheels are the shiznit.

lavi
06-09-2009, 06:48 PM
I've been wanting a new set of wheels this year to be the final compliment to my 'Vagen. After reading the posts here and from e-Richie's web site, I made the decision to go with what look to be the official Joe Young house brand wheel. 240's, RR1.1, Supercomps with 28 front/32 rear cuz I'm bigger than you. :beer: Black of course. Although I would have gone for the white except that they only come in 28 hole.

I'm excited to spin these babies up! I'll post a ride report later.

I decided not to go with something super trick like Edge tubulars. I'm just flat out don't have the time for that. I tried tubulars earlier this year. Liked them, but was able to remove them from what I have time for. Oh yeah, I saved my self a ton of dough too!

I figure that putting myself in the hands of a master craftsmen is the best option. I've heard too many times from too many sources that a truly well build set of traditional race wheels is better than anything else a person (that isn't heavily sponsored) could spend their money on.

Pete Serotta
06-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Joe Young wheels give me a great ride (DT) and ZERO problems or zero truing required :) :)

gearguywb
06-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I got a set from Joe a couple of weeks ago..the DT 240, RR1.1 combo. Love em! Nowhere near what you guys have on them but I did a century on them on their 3rd ride. Smooth, quiet, they just disappear under the bike. Perfect.

lavi
06-09-2009, 07:08 PM
This is great. I'm glad I switched directions as I was just about to pick up a cheap set of R-Sys wheels on ebay. I've heard great things about them.

NOT!!!! :beer:

climbgdh
06-10-2009, 12:34 AM
I got a set of Young wheels on ebay a while back. CXP33 with DT Swiss 240 hubs on ebay. They are wonderful. Not the lightest but virtually bombproof!! They will always be on my Sachs!!

LegendRider
06-10-2009, 06:08 AM
I chose Joe Young wheels for my bike in Istanbul, Turkey. I figured I needed bomb-proof (no pun intended...) and they've been great.

thinpin
06-10-2009, 07:56 AM
I chose Joe Young wheels for my bike in Istanbul, Turkey. I figured I needed bomb-proof (no pun intended...) and they've been great.
This tread has now registered with about 4 different security agencies! :beer: :rolleyes:

LegendRider
06-10-2009, 08:17 AM
This tread has now registered with about 4 different security agencies! :beer: :rolleyes:

I figured I'd be the victim, not the perp.

dmurphey
09-27-2010, 10:57 PM
I had Joe build a set of all rounder wheels for me, DT Swiss 240 hubs for campy 11 speed rear cluster. RR 1.1 rims and competition triple butted spokes with alloy nipples. Light rotating mass but sturdy. They are great. I drove out from Fort Worth to Granbury to collect them. I stopped to say hi to some sports car racers at the track in Cresson. Ends up Joe spent time racing sprots racing cars as well. This is a bright, talented guy. He does very good work. My wheels are perfect.

GuyGadois
09-27-2010, 11:49 PM
I have a quote from Joe to build those exact wheels. I am trying to decide whether these would be better of some mid $800 stock wheels. Me thinks these would be best for me (190 lbs club racer, wannabe Jens).

Any more feedback?

Gadois

henrypretz
09-28-2010, 12:14 AM
I have this build on my 2004 CIII (Shimano)
They replaced Ritchey Zero/CXP 21s.
I'm no racer, but they made a world of difference to me, especially on fast descents. They corner solid like on rails (compared to my old wheelset), and changing from 23mm Krylions to 25mm GP 4000s improved performance that much more for me.
Based on all that I have read, my personal experience with him, and the craftsmanship of my wheels, if I ever need another wheelset, I'll call Joe.

To top it off, he's a heckuva nice (and knowledgeable) guy. Very easy to talk to.

To note, I was sort of cut off on my century ride last weekend and had nowhere to go but right over a drainage grate that was sunk a good inch below the surface of the road. I was certain that hitting that lip would at least cause a pinch flat or even worse knock my front wheel out of true .... it was a pretty big impact at about 18-19 mph. I stopped to check it and there was no effect at all that I could tell. Wheel still as true as the day I got it last spring. I trust Joe Young's work.

Henry

gearguywb
09-28-2010, 04:47 AM
I have 2 sets from Joe, both 1.1 rims/DT240's. After the first rid on a set I sold my Mavics. Enough said.

Kingfisher
09-28-2010, 07:11 AM
I've got the same wheel setup, ddrr1's, 240 hubs, weight fluctuates between 210-220 and they are still perfect after 3k, perfect wheels.

veloduffer
09-28-2010, 07:45 AM
I've got two sets from Joe - both with Velocity A23 rims (23mm wide), White Indust hubs. I use one for cross and is solid. Also, the wheels are light (sub 1500) considering that they were built more for durability/reliability and my weight (175 lbs).