PDA

View Full Version : Legend: SE or Ti rear end?

pmac
10-29-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm looking to get a Legend and have been trying to get as many opinions as I can about the relative advantages/disadvantages of SE or Ti seat stay. I'd like to hear what people here think, especially if you've ridden both.

Thanks,

Paul

avalonracing
10-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Ti...
Why mess with something that works great and is the most reliable?

Ahneida Ride
10-29-2008, 08:16 PM
I have Ti, mainly for the polished Ti aesthetics.
A little mild semichrome polish will take brushed Ti to near chrome.

I can assure you that the Ti stays are comfortable and perform exceeding well.

I suspect, from a brief demo ride on an Ottrott, that the ST options
adds a bit of comfort.

I really do wish I could be of more help. But I am kinda clueless too.

If I had to do it all over again, I would again strongly favor Ti.

Chris
10-29-2008, 08:18 PM
ti

Peter B
10-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Another vote for ti.

Ripple
10-29-2008, 08:34 PM
I had a similar question earlier this year and many others provided good advice. I thought that I would pass along the links:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=43493
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ighlight=legend
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ghlight=ottrott
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ghlight=legend\

For what it is worth, I ended up choosing the SE. In the end, my decision was largely based on the advice of my fitter. I suggest soliciting as much advice from the fitter as possible. I am very happy with the ride quality of the SE ... good cornering, climbing and that back wheel stays stuck to the ground ... I'm sure that the ride quality is great with the Ti too.

Good luck!

Ripple

pmac
10-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the opinions and the links. I've already poked around the forum, and I think I've seen most of what has been said before. Even so, I'm still on the fence and thought there might somehow be the new perspective that finally lets me make up my mind.

Paul

Volant
10-29-2008, 11:39 PM
My next one will be ti. I had the SE and like it a lot. Very comfy; great for all-day rides. I want my next one to be 'classic' though.

cadence90
10-30-2008, 12:46 AM
Ti; titanium; titanio; titane; titan; titânio; titάνιο; титан; チタニウム; 鈦; 티타늄; etc.... :)

Gothard
10-30-2008, 02:50 AM
You want to keep the frame for how long?
No matter how good carbon and glue may be today, they will not last forever. Ti has a good chance (at least better).
If you will change in a few years, then no problem. Otherwise, Ti.

And, Ti looks more classic.

RABikes2
10-30-2008, 05:23 AM

happycampyer
10-30-2008, 05:47 AM
I have never ridden a Legend, SE or otherwise, so I can't give you any insight there. I do have two all ti bikes (Moots Vamoots SL an Compact SL) and an Ottrott ST, which is a whole different animal. There is something wonderful about an all ti frame. If I were choosing between ti and carbon stays on a Legend, I'd go with all ti.

victoryfactory
10-30-2008, 06:29 AM
I had a Ti concours with the CS carbon stays, Too stiff for me.
I sold it and got an all Ti Legend, very happy I did.

VF

* Knicks are in FIRST PLACE! I won't get to say that again this year....

Geoff
10-30-2008, 06:47 AM
love mine, all ti. Cant imagine how a carbon rear would add anything.

malcolm
10-30-2008, 07:29 AM
I've owned legends with both and I'm not sure I could tell them apart. If I really thought I was keeping it forever I would go all Ti otherwise get the one you think looks the best.

Kirk Pacenti
10-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Ti.

csm
10-30-2008, 07:35 AM
ti.... I used the "last bike I'll ever have to buy" argument but have since been thinking maybe I need another bike to go along with my legend.

Lifelover
10-30-2008, 08:15 AM
.... get the one you think looks the best.

Maybe the most sound advise in the thread!

rockdude
10-30-2008, 08:23 AM
I will jump on the bandwagon. i have never been on a ST but I have two legends with Ti and I love them.

Ahneida Ride
10-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Get the one you think looks the best.

It's difficult to beat the look of polished Ti stays. A touch of semichrome
polish and one has very traditional chrome stays. Serotta does an
immaculate job with the welds. One can end up with a very
traditional looking bike.

Ozz
10-30-2008, 09:33 AM
love mine, all ti. Cant imagine how a carbon rear would add anything.
+1

However, I agree that choosing the one that looks best (to you) is probably the best advice.

Smiley
10-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Crash the carbon or drop or whip a chain around it and you'll wish is was Ti, MY vote is for Ti and thats what I tell my clients.

Geoff
10-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Nice mount for your dinotte

malcolm
10-30-2008, 09:49 AM
That bike is awful clean Ray, are you sure you ride it.

dekindy
10-30-2008, 10:34 AM
I have a Legend SE ST that I bought as a lightly used demo for thousands off so I did not have a choice. I think that I would prefer an all Ti if I were ordering custom just for the longevity. But the carbon really did not give me cause for concern either. My frame is one great all-arounder. I hit a chuckhole and the dropout cracked but the carbon seat stay was not damaged so it must be very durable.

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/news/article/handmade-bike-show-its-more-than-just-steel-14516/
Carl Strong did a multi-material frame for the 2008 NAHBS. There is a video that I could not find but here is the description. The point is that he chose titanium for the seat stays.

Blending everything together in one machine was Carl Strong of Strong Frames in Bozeman, Montana. The unique frame used a Reynolds 953 stainless steel lower half (head tube, down tube, bottom bracket shell, chain stays), titanium seat stays, and a carbon fiber seat tube and top tube. According to Strong, the combination optimizes the properties of each material: the steel pipes largely dictate the overall feel, the curved titanium seat stays are springy and compliant for comfort, and the carbon fiber damps road buzz and lightens things up. Seem like overkill to you? Maybe, but some might argue that that's the name of the game at NAHBS.

Found it!
http://strongframes.com/news/hmbs_08/?PHPSESSID=f81c30934a0d4869ee21ceb7f1fd7fa3
Scroll down for the video. I missed it the first time.

flickwet
10-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Thats the dirtiest picture of the cleanest bike I've ever seen. Spotless naughty bits!

avalonracing
10-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Well, it seems that just about everyone votes for all Ti. That said, it is obvious which bike will have the better resale potential if you decide on a change.

Pete Serotta
10-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Yes, carbon sells and the ST rear does work....

Well, it seems that just about everyone votes for all Ti. That said, it is obvious which bike will have the better resale potential if you decide on a change.

pmac
10-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the responses. The preference for Ti is about what I got at the bike shop (2 for Ti, one for SE). That's the way I'm leaning, and it's nice to have so many people think that's the right choice.

As for the resale issue, I really have no long term plan of selling it. Maybe this is part of the typical evolution of owners of very nice bikes, and at some point it seems normal to sell something so nice. I know I've passed the 'this is the last bike I'll ever get' stage. I remember my disbelief a few years ago when I started riding again and the guy selling me a Trek aluminum bike told me I'd probably be getting another bike within 3 or 4 years. It ended up being more like 12 months and now, even with the plan to get the Legend, I'm wondering what will be next.

This will probably seem like a bad idea to many of you, but my plan is to have the Legend painted.

Paul

Pete Serotta
10-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Paul, not a bad idea at all. If you look in the pictures you will see so great paint jobs...half/half polish/paint or 3/4 paint and rear polished, all all paint...

My Ti is ARANCIA and I remember Mavic 1010 Team Paint scheme that I really likes as well as the Sierra nevada team bikes....

Do it the way that puts a smile on your face and gets you to rush out for a ride :)

Ozz
10-30-2008, 01:47 PM
...This will probably seem like a bad idea to many of you, but my plan is to have the Legend painted.

Paul
you might want to think about leaving the chainstays and seatstays polished....no paint to chip.

have fun!

Ahneida Ride
10-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Going 1/2 paint 1/2 ti allows one to keep the frame spotless with
very little effort.

and never any chips due to a wandering chain ...

Legends are just made for the 1/2 paint 1/2 Ti paint scheme .... :beer:

Erik.Lazdins
10-30-2008, 03:55 PM
I test rode an ST but had an opportunity to buy an esteemed fellow forumite's bike that had the Ti rear.

The bike rides great - its a keeper - I don't "want" for an ST

To my eye the Ti rear looks proper on such a bike.

This all is my opinion, which won't buy you much!!!! :)

Good luck!
Erik

Brian Smith
10-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Not just to be a contrary voice, I think a carbon stay, even for full paint, would be my choice over ti stays. The reparability of the carbon stay is, to my mind, less difficult than even the ti seat stays. It's not an issue whatsoever. Yes, if you close your garage door on it, you're more likely to damage the carbon stay than the ti stays, but of all the crash damaged and mutilated bikes that come back for repair, I just don't see an overabundance of broken Serotta carbon stays. The SE will also be lighter, more due to the additional work to the ti tubes, and not only due to the seat stays.

BumbleBeeDave
10-30-2008, 05:24 PM
That bike is awful clean Ray, are you sure you ride it.

. . . that I have absotively, posolutely SEEN Ray ride the bike. :)

UNLESS . . . he has two IDENTICAL Legends and only rides one! ;)

BBD

pmac
10-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Paul, not a bad idea at all. If you look in the pictures you will see so great paint jobs...half/half polish/paint or 3/4 paint and rear polished, all all paint...

My Ti is ARANCIA and I remember Mavic 1010 Team Paint scheme that I really likes as well as the Sierra nevada team bikes....

Do it the way that puts a smile on your face and gets you to rush out for a ride :)

One option I've been thinking about is a combination of slate and arancio. Is there a picture of your bike somewhere on the forum?

Thanks,

Paul

onekgguy
10-30-2008, 06:40 PM
My vote is for the carbon rear if you're considering using the bike over long distances. I've got a '98 Legend Ti and an '06 Legend ST. To me there's a noticeable difference between the two rides with the ST dampening out the smaller road vibes better than the full Ti bike. I suppose a lot of it depends on the type of riding you plan to do. Either way you can't really go wrong.

Kevin g

fungusamungus33
10-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Not just to be a contrary voice, I think a carbon stay, even for full paint, would be my choice over ti stays. The reparability of the carbon stay is, to my mind, less difficult than even the ti seat stays. It's not an issue whatsoever. Yes, if you close your garage door on it, you're more likely to damage the carbon stay than the ti stays, but of all the crash damaged and mutilated bikes that come back for repair, I just don't see an overabundance of broken Serotta carbon stays. The SE will also be lighter, more due to the additional work to the ti tubes, and not only due to the seat stays.

'cause Brian knows! I wouldn't have guessed that this was your response though! Always a fresh perspective from the factory!

Skrawny
11-01-2008, 03:08 PM
I am fortunate enough to own a Legend Ti and have ridden at least 60 good miles on a Legend ST (and an Ottrott and a Meivici- because I'm a lucky dog).

I prefer the ride of the ST. I think it has a significant improvement in ride quality and handling that I felt most in the twisty down-hills.

-s