PDA

View Full Version : The long (saddle) journey is finally over!

SoCalSteve
10-29-2008, 09:59 AM
What started out as me buying a Look 595 for my 50th birthday (still not built) to where I am today has been a long, sometime very painful, but an incredible learning experience and journey that took me full circle back to the company that makes the most comfortable saddle ever made.

It started with my “mid-life bike saddle crisis” after I bought my Look 595 I realized that there is NO WAY a Brooks B-17 will end up on this bike…

So, I started trying saddle saddles (as you well know: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=569566&postcount=1) and ended up liking the 2008 Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow…It had 2 flaws though. 1.) It was very comfy up to about the 30 mile point, and then it started getting pretty uncomfortable and 2.) It has elliptical saddle rails that do not work well with lots of “cool” seatposts.

The search continued on. I never considered the Brooks Swallow for a couple of reasons. 1.) When I had tried the B-17 narrow in the past, it wasn’t as comfortable as the normal B-17 and 2.) It’s BLOODY expensive!

But (no pun intended) I really wanted the Moots Cinch Seatpost for my Moots Compact SL and decided, what the hey, I’ll give the Swallow a whirl. The first thing I noticed was how beautiful, sleek and modern it appeared to me, even on my Time VXR. Even though it’s still a Brooks saddle, there is something that sets it apart from all the other Brooks saddles (besides its huge price tag).

I then went for a series of rides and like all Brooks saddles, it took a few attempts to get the fore-aft and up-down tilt correct…Once I had both these adjustments figured out, the saddle just disappeared underneath me (like my beloved B-17 always had).

I now have the perfect saddle. It works with any style bike. It has long round (7mm) seat rails and will work with all seatposts (even the cool ones) it does not require a ton of set-back (like the B-17 does), it comes in 4 colors (honey for the Kirk-White for the Time and black for all the rest of my bikes) and all in all its beautiful to look at.

Whether you have the Limited Edition version with the hand stitched skirts, the very rare white version with chrome rails or just a simple black Ti railed version…every one of them looks great….And, best of all, I can ride in all day comfort on them!

As Ferris Bueller once said: [referring to the Ferrari] It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

The journey is over.

Thanks for reading,

Steve

Ahneida Ride
10-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Steve

But how about the width ? it really works ?????

How are one's sit bones supported?

SoCalSteve
10-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Steve

But how about the width ? it really works ?????

How are one's sit bones supported?

It does really work.

The Selle Max Flite is the same width as the Swallow (153) and both seem to work with my fat arse just fine...Go figure.

I had the ass-o-meter thing done to me and it came up as 130 sit bones..Specialized recommended their 155 saddle (which I hated)....So, the 153 of the Selle Max and Swallow seems to work just fine.

All asses are NOT created equal!

fiamme red
10-29-2008, 10:21 AM
It started with my “mid-life bike saddle crisis” after I bought my Look 595 I realized that there is NO WAY a Brooks B-17 will end up on this bike…A friend of mine used an old Brooks Pro on his Calfee Dragonfly (until he sold the bike). It was the most comfortable saddle he had, so why not use it on the bike he rode most? Function before fashion.

Glad that you finally found a saddle that you like. But remembering your previous signatures, I doubt that this will be the end of your quest.

SoCalSteve
10-29-2008, 10:26 AM
A friend of mine used an old Brooks Pro on his Calfee Dragonfly (until he sold the bike). It was the most comfortable saddle he had, so why not use it on the bike he rode most? Function before fashion.

Glad that you finally found a saddle that you like. But remembering your previous signatures, I doubt that this will be the end of your quest.

Have you been talking with my wife again?

Hey, I used the B-17 for many 1,000's of happy miles and I hope I will spend much more time on the Swallow.

I hope this is the end of the journey, truly, as its just not fun trying out saddles that dont seem to work out for you...

Just sayin'

Steve

konstantkarma
10-29-2008, 10:28 AM
What's with the nose? It looks like some sort of Medieval torture device. It looks like the nose length may be adjustable?

SoCalSteve
10-29-2008, 10:39 AM
What's with the nose? It looks like some sort of Medieval torture device. It looks like the nose length may be adjustable?

Like all Brooks saddles, there is a tensioner for when the leather starts to sag...This is what is at the nose of the saddle.

Make sense now?

Steve

Kurt
10-29-2008, 12:34 PM
I am sorry but that thing is ugly to me. did you ever try the SMP? everyone seems to be on one these days. too bad the toupe did not work for you, I now have a ton of miles on my 143 and its much better than my flite, no contest. maybe you did not give it enough time, it took weeks for me to settle into it and the gel version made a huge diff. maybe you should have tried another size and I also had someone adjust it for me, basically raised me up and that made all the diff in the comfort. but hey, if you are happy so be it but I find it hard to believe that you came not find something more modern looking. if you don't care about looks well then you should find somewhere else to live besides LA!

fiamme red
10-29-2008, 12:37 PM
but hey, if you are happy so be it but I find it hard to believe that you came not find something more modern looking.Like this (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html)?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/stonesaddle.jpeg

Kurt
10-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Like this (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html)?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/stonesaddle.jpeg

you have too much time on your hands!

paczki
10-29-2008, 12:41 PM
I came to the same conclusion. I love the Brooks Swallow and it looks great on my Merckkx MXM. Old school!

SoCalSteve
10-29-2008, 12:52 PM
I am sorry but that thing is ugly to me. did you ever try the SMP? everyone seems to be on one these days. too bad the toupe did not work for you, I now have a ton of miles on my 143 and its much better than my flite, no contest. maybe you did not give it enough time, it took weeks for me to settle into it and the gel version made a huge diff. maybe you should have tried another size and I also had someone adjust it for me, basically raised me up and that made all the diff in the comfort. but hey, if you are happy so be it but I find it hard to believe that you came not find something more modern looking. if you don't care about looks well then you should find somewhere else to live besides LA!

Quite judgemental, huh?

Anyway, beauty is TRULY in the eyes of the beholder.

I found the SMP to be truly FUGLY and the Toupe (all versions) to be very uncomfortable for me...and yes, I gave it plenty of time and adjusted it a hundred different ways.

I find your statement that I cannot find anything more modern very funny as everything about the Swallow is modern...save the fact that it is leather and not some plastic material over carbon fiber...Its titanium over real leather...

Anyway, I'm happy with it and in the end (pun intended) thats all that matters, isnt it?

Steve

SoCalSteve
10-29-2008, 12:54 PM
I came to the same conclusion. I love the Brooks Swallow and it looks great on my Merckkx MXM. Old school!

Glad you are happy with it!

Is that the same MXM that I almost bought from London?

Just askin'

Steve

paczki
10-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Is that the same MXM that I almost bought from London?

yup.

SoCalSteve
10-29-2008, 12:59 PM
yup.

I soooo would have bought it, but I was not 100% thrilled with the color scheme...

Glad it went to a good home!

Enjoy it and the Brooks Swallow thats mounted on it for many 1,000's of miles...

Steve

Ozz
10-29-2008, 01:01 PM
...Anyway, beauty is TRULY in the eyes of the beholder....
I can't see my saddle when I'm sitting on it.....just saying. ;)

Looking forward to seeing the 595 built up! (and when you decide to sell it!)

:beer:

Kurt
10-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Quite judgemental, huh?

Anyway, beauty is TRULY in the eyes of the beholder.

I found the SMP to be truly FUGLY and the Toupe (all versions) to be very uncomfortable for me...and yes, I gave it plenty of time and adjusted it a hundred different ways.

I find your statement that I cannot find anything more modern very funny as everything about the Swallow is modern...save the fact that it is leather and not some plastic material over carbon fiber...Its titanium over real leather...

Anyway, I'm happy with it and in the end (pun intended) thats all that matters, isnt it?

Steve

what do you mean, LA is all about looks, this is nothing new and I think that saddle is ugly which is my opinion. the smp looks hot on the right bike, it can look bad but I have seen it on in white on a white BMC and LOOK and it works to my eyes. go look at keith's bmc at velo in venice, far from ugly. you know what I mean by modern, if you don't then you really are living the dream. glad you are happy as that is what matters.

OldDog
10-29-2008, 01:08 PM
All asses are NOT created equal!

Is there a political comment in there somewhere...no, let's not go there.

SoCalSteve
10-29-2008, 01:18 PM
what do you mean, LA is all about looks, this is nothing new and I think that saddle is ugly which is my opinion. the smp looks hot on the right bike, it can look bad but I have seen it on in white on a white BMC and LOOK and it works to my eyes. go look at keith's bmc at velo in venice, far from ugly. you know what I mean by modern, if you don't then you really are living the dream. glad you are happy as that is what matters.

I guess I choose to ignore the superficiality of it (being that I live in it every day-their is a casting office across the hall from my office). Its all in the way we view things, I guess.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion, I find the SMP ugly on any bike...Looks like it needs to be fixed or something...

One mans gabage is another mans rose bush.

Have you ever ridden in Ventura on the bike path that leads to Ojai? There are abandonded oil derricks in an area on your right as you are climbing. Its completely filled with graffiti, garbage, whatever...I find that really interesting and beautiful in its own way...One day I will go there, jump the fence and spend hours capturing it on my camera.

Again, one man's...

Just sayin'

Steve

Kurt
10-29-2008, 01:25 PM
I guess I choose to ignore the superficiality of it (being that I live in it every day-their is a casting office across the hall from my office). Its all in the way we view things, I guess.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion, I find the SMP ugly on any bike...Looks like it needs to be fixed or something...

One mans gabage is another mans rose bush.

Have you ever ridden in Ventura on the bike path that leads to Ojai? There are abandonded oil derricks in an area on your right as you are climbing. Its completely filled with graffiti, garbage, whatever...I find that really interesting and beautiful in its own way...One day I will go there, jump the fence and spend hours capturing it on my camera.

Again, one man's...

Just sayin'

Steve

but its the saddle of the moment when it comes down to comfort. I don't think everyone would use an ugly saddle unless it has something in the comfort dept. just like your ugly saddle, lol. keith has one of the best looking rigs around, working in a shop helps but that white smp on the white bmc works, I am not joking. that said I would never own one! love the toupe

konstantkarma
10-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Like all Brooks saddles, there is a tensioner for when the leather starts to sag...This is what is at the nose of the saddle.

Make sense now?

Steve

Yes. That is cool. So as the saddle wears in, you can retension?

SoCalSteve
10-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Yes. That is cool. So as the saddle wears in, you can retension?

Correct!

Give that man a Brooks saddle.

They say that you can eventually come to the end of the tensioning screw, but I imagine it would take like 20-30 years for that to happen...But, if the saddle gets abused, like gets wet and then dried out too quickly or used wet, I imagine that you could go through the tensioning screw much faster.

Its not a rain saddle, per se', but the higher end models do come with their own saddle cover for rainy days.

I dont think I need to worry about that much.

Just sayin'

Steve

Ahneida Ride
10-29-2008, 04:03 PM
I love the looks of all da Brooks ...

The swallow is the most exotic ... ;)

bostondrunk
10-29-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm still surprised you never liked the San Marco Regal.

Nice Moots!

SoCalSteve
10-29-2008, 05:02 PM

Nice Moots!

Thank you!

I tried the Regal a few years back (someone sent me one to try) and decided for the shape, size and look, the B-17 was so similar and so much more comfortable..I rode it and thought the B-17 was more comfy so I just dismissed it.

I still think the Swallow is nicer looking AND more comfortable...

But, thats just me.

TMB
10-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Congrats.

I'm in for the Swift and the Team Pro.

Only because I haven't been able to swallow hard enough to pony up the $$ for the Swallow.

I may try a Swallow on the new Pegoretti though.

fiamme red
10-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Only because I haven't been able to swallow hard enough to pony up the $$ for the Swallow.The chromed steel rail version of the Swallow is much cheaper, and not much heavier.

cleavel
10-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Hello,

I haven't ridden on a Brooks saddle since the 1970s and I didn't like it back then. From a functionality standpoint the saddle looks great. I also think it look OK on your modern bikes -- better than the "traditional" Brooks -- but not as good as some current saddles, IMHO.

However, whatever works for you -- fit and aesthetic -- is what's important.

I am probably going to embark on a similar quest. I have used the classic Flite saddle since 1993 and I have ridden it on all kinds of road bikes and it fits me well (or I fit it well). I had one with Ti rails in cold storage which I put on my 50th b-day Serotta last year. The one on my Look is starting to show signs of undue wear though it probably has a couple more years of life in it.

I have some questions: How did you try out so many saddles before finding the Brooks? Did you buy them and re-sell them? Where you able to borrow some?

A couple of people told me that the new Flite does NOT fit like the old one.

TIA.

Volant
10-29-2008, 11:34 PM

Nice Moots!

The Regal was a real pain-in-the-arse for me. Going to list it with about a half-dozen other saddles that didn't work for me....I'm still on my quest. :crap:

Simon Q
10-30-2008, 12:16 AM
So Cal, you've got to go with what works for your behind. Nothing else matters, it is the most important part of a bike so well done for not going for modern becuase it is cool. I have an Aliante and while many pros use them a more modern sleek, flat saddle would look much better on my bike. Too bad, the Aliante is the one saddle that really works for me (although never tried any Brooks - almost everything else though!).

Can I ask what cages you have there on the Moots and is there a relatively deep gully where the bolts go to affix to the cage (it looks that way) which could accomodate a bigger/higher than mormal bolt head?

bostondrunk
10-30-2008, 05:38 AM
I have some questions: How did you try out so many saddles before finding the Brooks? Did you buy them and re-sell them? Where you able to borrow some?

ebay works well

SoCalSteve
10-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Hello,

I haven't ridden on a Brooks saddle since the 1970s and I didn't like it back then. From a functionality standpoint the saddle looks great. I also think it look OK on your modern bikes -- better than the "traditional" Brooks -- but not as good as some current saddles, IMHO.

However, whatever works for you -- fit and aesthetic -- is what's important.

I am probably going to embark on a similar quest. I have used the classic Flite saddle since 1993 and I have ridden it on all kinds of road bikes and it fits me well (or I fit it well). I had one with Ti rails in cold storage which I put on my 50th b-day Serotta last year. The one on my Look is starting to show signs of undue wear though it probably has a couple more years of life in it.

A couple of people told me that the new Flite does NOT fit like the old one.

TIA.

ebay, here and just begged...Buy used, sell used....try everything. New Flite does NOT fit like the old one. I bet if you asked here for people to send you some of their old saddles, they would...They did for me.

Good luck on your search!

Steve

cleavel
10-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Steve and Boston, thanks for the suggestions. My biggest hesitation in starting the whole process is that I have my saddle position down to a gnat's eyelash and I can set up any bike with a Flite with fairly good precision (at least for me). Now I'll have to figure out the saddle location for each one that I try. Oh well.