PDA

View Full Version : Mondonico EL-OS

amg
11-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi All,

I need advice. I'm thinking of getting a made to measure Mondonico EL-OS, but I have cold feet. This is the story: Torelli (the Mondonico dist.) is having a special sale where you can upgrade their base model Mondonico to either Columbus Neuron or EL-OS at no additional charge. With a steel fork and a single color it works out to $1550. Quite a good deal for a hand made, made to measure steel rig from a very experienced builder.

Now here's the flip side. I already have a very nice steel Spectrum, I'm saving up for a Richard Sachs and I have a major jones for a Pegoretti. This Mondonico seems like a steal and it would be a nice frame to have and save for a sunny day, but will buying an intermediary frame with the intention of building it up when means allow just keep me further away from the bikes I really want? I know it's impossible for you guys to step into my life and accurately assess things, but if your means allowed you to purchase a complete high-end bike every four years, what would you do?

Spinning in circles (figuratively, not literally),

Antonio

slowgoing
11-10-2004, 07:06 PM
While it depends a bit on your finances, I generally think you'd better off by first saving for the frames you really want.

christian
11-10-2004, 07:47 PM
$1550 is only $350 cheaper than a Duende. I'd eat chickpeas and kidney beans for a month and blow my cash on a Peg. Or get a Palosanto - same price!

Peg, peg, peg, peg,
- Christian

Chris
11-10-2004, 08:15 PM
I had an off the peg Mondonico for a while. It was the Neuron frame. Definitely one of the frames I wish I had back. Mr. Mondonico knows what he is doing. A classic Italian bike amongst a litany of "classic" Italian bikes made in rather large factories by dozens of builders. My $0.02

Peter
11-10-2004, 09:26 PM
...will buying an intermediary frame with the intention of building it up when means allow just keep me further away from the bikes I really want?

Yes.

You're SAVING for a Richard Sachs and you want to buy some lower tier Italian rig NOW? You already have a Spectrum, too? Why do you want to go backwards? Do you have a problem keeping your wallet closed?

I'm not one to wave the "buy American" flag but when it comes to bike frames, the U.S. has got it down when it comes to clean welding/brazing, accurate alignment, quality and durable finishes, and spotless machining such as the inside of the BB. Sorry babe, but a Mondonico is a far cry from a Sachs, even if the price is, too.

dbrk
11-11-2004, 06:37 AM
I can entirely see the charm of nicely made Italian lugged steel. There's no comparison to the Pegorettis, in my mind, because, they are just such different bikes (and I truly love them). Mondonico is nice craft, I have seen a lot of them and some of the Torelli badged examples too, and each one has been quite clean and classic. There's nothing all that special about the shorelines, paint, or detailing but it's very good looking work.

There will be about zero resale value on this bike, amg. So if you buy it, do it for fun, for love of bicycles, for lust, but not because you will recoup anything from it. Colnagos are not made half as well (generally) but they fetch a price by reputation. Don't count on that here at all, it doesn't matter how nicely made it is.

dbrk

Marron
11-11-2004, 11:02 AM
I had a custom Torelli Nitro Exress for a number of years. That's essentially the EL-OS with conventional seatstays. My observation would be that Mondonico is building a somewhat different style of bike than the others you've mentioned. He has a different philosophy about the balance and handling. His angles are steeper and his BB is going to be a little higher. The result is a bike with more weight on the front and pretty quick reactions. It will handle well, but you will have to pay attention to it.

My experience with the custom part was that he will build a bike in that style to your size so don't expect a discussion over set back or fork rake. It will like buying a bike from Richard; his design, your size. If that works for you you'll have a great bike.

I wanted to add that when I went to sell my Torelli I found the valuation to be pretty comparable to other better know Italian brands. Built up with an 8-speed Sachs Ergo group it fetched $1,200 after 6 years of use. I felt good about that and the new owner has been very happy with deal as well. He was upgrading from a 25 year old PX-10, but that's another story.

dbrk
11-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Marron makes good points. I think the Mondonico in terms of geos and ideas of handling, etc., is more a like Gios than, say, Merckx: steeper, quicker, more aggressive, shorter chainstays, like that.

dbrk

amg
11-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. First off I wanted to respond to Peter. Peter I may not have phrased my post very well, but I did not intend to suggest or imply that a Mondonico is on equal footing with a Sachs. I'm aware that a Sachs is a much better assembled, brazed and finished frame than a Mondonico. A Sachs is a Sachs. A Mondonico is a far cry from a Sachs, that I know. My intention is not to replace a future Sachs with a present Mondonico (that's just crazy talk), but I had a Mondonico about 5 years ago for a short time and I got a bit nostalgic and wanted to replace one of my first real road bikes. A Mondonico is no where near the quality of a Sachs or Spectrum, but it is a decent Italian lugged steel frame.

I think I'm going to pass on the Mondonico and continue saving towards a Sachs and Pegoretti. I realized that the RS and Peg are more my style and I will be infinitely happier on those bikes than an interim "fling" with another Mondonico. Good things come to those who wait!

Thanks All!

Antonio :beer:

Climb01742
11-11-2004, 06:36 PM
good choice, i think. a sachs and a pegoretti are truly special bikes. a lugged richie and a peg marcelo would be two very sweet steel rides. your patience would be gloriously rewarded. :beer:

amg
11-11-2004, 09:32 PM
yeah, I'm with you climb! A lugged RS and a Marcelo would be the BOMB! I like both builders' philosophy on building bikes and both are fine gentlemen. Who could ask for more?

BTW, I was just over at the Competitive Cyclist website and noticed that the Pegoretti prices went up for '05. :crap: Just when I try and get close, they keep pulling me away! (said just like Al Pacino in Godfather III)

Antonio :beer: