PDA

View Full Version : BB bummer

tv_vt
10-28-2008, 06:52 AM
I've been using a truvativ crank with a gigapipe (gxp) outboard bottom bracket - and have been really suffering on hills. Felt like I had really lost a lot of fitness. Always seemed to feel wiped out after rides on this bike. On a hunch, I put on an Ultegra octalink bottom bracket and another crank - OMG! what a difference! I couldn't believe how nice they felt. I had my spin back, and the hills were just hills, not total bears.

So here's the question - are there ANY decent, low-friction outboard BBs out there? Anyone try the new Chris King Shimano-compatible BB yet (saw them at Aspire Velotech website)? Or is the Octalink the pinnacle of bottom brackets?

Thanks,

Thom

DfCas
10-28-2008, 07:33 AM
For long life and lowest friction, outboard BB's require accurate facing of the BB shell. I have also found that chasing/facing helps all types turn more freely, including internal bearing types.

Was your BB shell faced by a good mechanic with fresh tools?

palincss
10-28-2008, 08:21 AM
I've been using a truvativ crank with a gigapipe (gxp) outboard bottom bracket - and have been really suffering on hills. Felt like I had really lost a lot of fitness. Always seemed to feel wiped out after rides on this bike. On a hunch, I put on an Ultegra octalink bottom bracket and another crank - OMG! what a difference! I couldn't believe how nice they felt. I had my spin back, and the hills were just hills, not total bears.

So here's the question - are there ANY decent, low-friction outboard BBs out there? Anyone try the new Chris King Shimano-compatible BB yet (saw them at Aspire Velotech website)? Or is the Octalink the pinnacle of bottom brackets?

Thanks,

Thom

Are you sure it's friction in the bearings, and not possibly a bit difference in "Q factor" (tread) between the two setups? While some cyclists thrive on cranks with more tread, others find them painful or difficult to spin.

dekindy
10-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Are you sure it's friction in the bearings, and not possibly a bit difference in "Q factor" (tread) between the two setups? While some cyclists thrive on cranks with more tread, others find them painful or difficult to spin.

What is tread? I have never heard this term in relation to bicycles.

tv_vt
10-28-2008, 10:13 AM
I have not had the frame BB shell faced, so I could look into that. I thought the gxp BB was more forgiving of poor facing. I'm also wondering if I should see if there are thin BB spacers, on the off chance that the BB shell is a hair too thin for the prescribed width. Any one know of BB spacers for outboard BBs?

T

Ken Robb
10-28-2008, 10:40 AM
I think tread is sometimes referred to as "Q" factor or the distance between the crank arms. Some folks like as little as possible (Grant Petersen) and some like them a bit wider. It's probably related to width of hip bones, knee in or out pedaling style, or ??