PDA

View Full Version : Why not...

bostondrunk
11-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Why does Serotta not do much pro sponsoring anymore?? I know they did some sponsoring of a masters team, but that isn't exactly mainstream visibility. I look through the image gallery, and based on a lot of the setups, it seems like most of the bikes are built for Sunday rides to the coffee shop. There are a few rare examples there of some nice looking speed machines, but most of them have stems pointing straight up, etc. I can't figure out how one even manages to steer some of these!!! Anyways, gotta go put my fire proof suit on..... :crap: :crap: :crap:

JohnS
11-10-2004, 01:48 PM
They also sponsor the Sierra Nevada team. With your drinking habits, you should have known that. :D
There aren't any small manufacturers sponsoring teams anymore. It's too expensive.
As to why the bikes in the gallery look the way they do... it's common sense. Most 20-somethings can't afford a Serotta. Most $4000+ bikes are bought by "older" folks who can't, or don't want to get into a racing position for an all day ride.

dirtdigger88
11-10-2004, 01:50 PM
yeah- what he said. And besides- the jerk is retired- racing just has not been the same since. :p

Jason

William
11-10-2004, 01:56 PM
C'mon, I ride Serotta and I still ride in the Racer-X position. I know lots of folks who raced Serottas... and they were well beyond the 4/5 cat. That aside, lots more money to be had by targeting the upwardly mobile, expendable cash demographic. :)

William

Andreu
11-10-2004, 03:30 PM
It is quite interesting (from a bike sellers point of view) how markets have changed. When I was a lad (living in a cardboard box on the southbound carraige of the motorway) it was largely a working class (do you use this phrase in US --- does any body use this phrase anymore?) pursuit ...it is now a "hobby" that attracts a broader span of our populations with more money to spend and who are willing to try it out.

I suppose we should be happy that at least people are still being attracted to the sport. These people will pass on their enthusiasm to the people they know and their kids (hopefully) and keep the sport going (though I doubt the bourgeoisie and richer will have the hunger to produce champion cyclists - like they would never produce champion boxers).
A

timto
11-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Regarding positioning...the most enthusiastic, high mileage, hard working cycling fanatic I know rides with his bars level to the seat! Personally I don't think it looks great but he's a 6000 km a year guy and that is in Calgary - we have a short road riding season!

Not pretty but it's all relative to the person pedalling. Also my buddy doesn't believe in stretching which is partially to explain for the sunday position. He does alot more than push his guru ti to the coffee shop! I wish I could do half that mileage.... but that is something else entirely...

Kevan
11-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Calgary, I like that town of yours... some great places to eat up there. I look forward to my next visit up there.

csb
11-10-2004, 05:16 PM
what the fart kinda forum is this....a bumbling beantown
brooks(foster) axed a perfectly good acid question and
the response errodes to FOOD in the 51st state
via some carbon fiber interloper...jeese! excuse me while
i jump off the table into my skinsuit and waddle over
to spin class

hey tipsy, read the label next time, @ the bottom after
all the health warnings about getting pregnant using
liquor as an excuse, the sierra nevada bottle tells you
which pro cyclists urine you're about to consume.

bostondrunk
11-10-2004, 08:04 PM
what the fart kinda forum is this....a bumbling beantown
brooks(foster) axed a perfectly good acid question and
the response errodes to FOOD in the 51st state
via some carbon fiber interloper...jeese! excuse me while
i jump off the table into my skinsuit and waddle over
to spin class

hey tipsy, read the label next time, @ the bottom after
all the health warnings about getting pregnant using
liquor as an excuse, the sierra nevada bottle tells you
which pro cyclists urine you're about to consume.

Man, you really screwed up!!!

Dr. Doofus
11-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Dear Drunk --

Your Doctor doubts that the percentage of "Sunday" setups on Serottas is markedly different than the percentage of equally relaxed positions on all road bikes -- and would-be "racing" bikes -- sold. Racer dorks are the minority everywhere. When your Doofus was earning his CSi as a shop rat, he closed the sale on several Trek OCLVs and 2300s, and did the "fittings" on a load of nice Felts and Cervelos. All of *three* of these involved "racer" style positions. Your Doctor would speculate that a good 85% of the raceable, say, $1800+ bikes out there are sold to those who pleasantly plod about for less than 150 miles a week -- and there is not a thing wrong with that. Serotta works with racers, and they work with the everyday folks who keep the factory open.

To equate the "race-worthyness" of both the rider and the bike with the amount of money spent is such an egregious, and just plain silly, eror in logic that deserves you to be deprived of all intoxicants for a month, and to be forced to bear the company of a dozen low body fat, high-mileage babbling pointless idiots who have been "deprived" of the bikes they deserve by the touring masses, without the steadying hand of booze to keep you from giving these nincompoops and knaves the frenzied thrashing their mothers still wish to give them.

Sincerely,

Dr. D. Doofus, Esq.

(who rides a silly looking undersized bike with a HT extension and a puny 5cm of saddle setback, and even with 9cm of drop he is still slow and useless and should never be read seriously unless one is so deprived of real cycling infomration that one is willing to accept the opinion of a dissassociative Forumite poltroon and mugwamp)

William
11-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Serotta works with racers, and they work with the everyday folks who keep the factory open.

The good Dr. reminds me of a saying (That I don't care for but is none the less true) that is prevelant in Combative arts circles; " Train a small group of fighters to make your name, and the rest are cream puffs who keep the doors open".
Generally racers make the name, the recreational riders keep the doors open.

I agree with the good Dr. eventhough he rides a silly looking undersized bike with a HT extension and a puny 5cm of saddle setback, and even with 9cm of drop he is still slow and useless and should never be read seriously unless one is so deprived of real cycling infomration that one is willing to accept the opinion of a dissassociative Forumite poltroon and mugwamp

William ;) :)

dirtdigger88
11-11-2004, 12:21 PM
csb,

may I ask a question of you? why do you edit every post you ever put up. :confused: Have some confidence in yourself- post it and leave it ;)

Jason

BumbleBeeDave
11-11-2004, 01:14 PM
. . . LOTS of money. It also costs resources in fitting riders, making the frames, tweaking when the riders have adjustments to be made . . . .

Serotta makes no bones about their being a small manufacurer. I find it surprising they sponsor the two teams that they do. With their reputation and following, I don't think they necessarily need the exposure.

I think BD was just trying to start a few flames on this cold northeastern day! . . .

BBdave

bostondrunk
11-11-2004, 01:18 PM
BBdave,
Shame on you. You know I would never do such a thing!!!
Love that yellow black color co-ordination!!! :crap:

csb
11-11-2004, 05:37 PM
1. in search of perfection
2. annoy mavic

dirtdigger88
11-11-2004, 06:16 PM
csb

:D

Jason

William
11-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Ahhh, FWIW, the point I left out from above was that...Serotta has already made their name in the major racing circles. Now they mainly concentrate on the rest. IMHO of course.

William :)

jeffg
11-11-2004, 06:43 PM
I look through the image gallery, and based on a lot of the setups, it seems like most of the bikes are built for Sunday rides to the coffee shop. There are a few rare examples there of some nice looking speed machines, but most of them have stems pointing straight up, etc. I can't figure out how one even manages to steer some of these!!! Anyways, gotta go put my fire proof suit on..... :crap: :crap: :crap:

Now I have to put my fire proof suit on, BD. Here's my cyclotouriste Legend! But, if you are too mean that Bouvier will come back from the beyond and you'll be in trouble!

http://www.bikefanclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=213&password=&sort=1&cat=507&page=1

Too Tall
11-12-2004, 06:48 AM
Nice lap dog ;)

Sponsorship smonsorship. Just suppose Serottaville had a viable team deal available for large (USCF) clubs? We are talking race iron BABY, not "TEAM OTTROTS". "Build it and they will come". Barefoot Ben.