PDA

View Full Version : Look Keo Warranty Return

Steelhead
10-27-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm having an issue with one of my pedals, they are Look Carbon Keos, ca. 2005ish. I'm not sure if it will be a warranty issue or not, but I'm just wondering how others experience with Look/Veltec warranty returns has been.

** Should I expect to be w/o pedals for some time while they evaluate the issue and then either return my busted pedals or replace with a new pair?
** I wonder how long it would take?
** Will the dealer replace on the spot if they determine it is a warranty problem?
** Will others shriek in horror and then ban me from their civilized road ride if I show up on a custom CDA rocking some Crank Bros pedals with Sidi Mtb shoes??

:)

Bruce K
10-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Did you catch the thread about a recall of Keo pedals - carbon body with the Cro-Mo axles?

Yours appear to be about the right vintage.

When this happened a couple of months ago, the fix was done right there in the shop designated as a service center while you waited.

Check the Look web site for more info.

BK

sloji
10-27-2008, 03:39 PM
No big deal they had kits available and if you call Look they will send them out ...good service!

Steelhead
10-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks - I am aware of that recall issue, but this isn't the case on mine. Mine broke -- the piece at the back of the pedal, where the adjustment screw is, and where it flexes back when you step in and then snaps over the cleat.... There is something that holds that piece open until you step in and whatever that is broke. I can still step in, but the back piece that grabs the bak of the cleat is now flopping around, back and forth.

It is really difficult to explain, but it is broken however it does work. It snapped Saturday night around 8:00 PM as I was riding it up and down the block having just put on new tires. I was scheduled to depart for the LiveStrong at 6:00 the next AM and was totally in a panic for pedals, until I looked closely at it and tried it. Sure enough it worked but it doesn't work very well and getting in on the move is difficult.

I'm hoping I can get a warranty return. And I do think mine are the right model for the other issue recall, so maybe that will play in my favor.

PoppaWheelie
10-27-2008, 07:55 PM
This EXACT thing happened to my Ti pedals a few weeks ago. They had about 500 miles on them. Warranty wasn't an issue obviously (they were nearly new). Bespoke in SF kindly sent them to Look in San Jose and within a week or two I had a new pair. Look didn't offer interim temp pedals for use during that week...but I just did what you've suggested..used an alternate pair from another bike.

johnmdesigner
10-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Go to Roadbikereview.com and join.

Click on Forum.

Go to Look in the Manufacturers category.

Send a PM to Chas who works for Look.

I dealt with him directly when the pivot hinge on my Keos failed. A rep. from Look called me and gave me a shipping authorization number. It was necessary to ship them back but they replaced them with a new pair in about 2 weeks.

They are very professional and I was impressed with their service.

John

Steelhead
10-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Very cool - thanks to all. I just came from my LBS, they are sending my Keos to their warranty guy who will inspect and call Look. I feel pretty good about getting a new pair. PLUS my shop loaned me a set of Keo Classics off a demo bike to use while I am without my originals.
:D